Rams strikers missing good chances

Curtains

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martins a good player but he’s gotta start taking his chances. Gone quite a few games without a goal now, and we can’t be unable to rely on our number 9 to score goals Like we are atm. Missed a good chance against forest, and a couple against boro. I’d stick with him and work on it in the training ground, but you could make an argument for a change up front. Gotta be more clinical than we are at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Martins a good player but he’s gotta start taking his chances. Gone quite a few games without a goal now, and we can’t be unable to rely on our number 9 to score goals Like we are atm. Missed a good chance against forest, and a couple against boro. I’d stick with him and work on it in the training ground, but you could make an argument for a change up front. Gotta be more clinical than we are at the moment.

Rather have Waghorn than Marriott at the moment he just isn’t fit enough for me. 

Martin lays on more chances for others though but we need to be hitting the net more regularly the way we play as we are vulnerable at the back. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Rather have Waghorn than Marriott at the moment he just isn’t fit enough for me. 

Think there’s an argument there as well. 

In fact, I think I’d go one better. I don’t actually think Marriott is good enough, and I don’t think he ever will be. Controversial, but there you go. For me there’s a reason why lampard didn’t fancy him.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Gotta be more clinical than we are at the moment.

This was discussed with relation to all our 'strikers' in another thread. If you go along with xG stats then Martin and Lawrence are exceeding them slightly but lots of others aren't. Marriott missed three reasonable chances on Saturday and his xG stats are in the negative. I think it was @JfR that posted them and understands them better. His conclusion was we needed a couple of 'game changers' recruited. My take was we need more goals from players other than our 'strikers'.

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Interestingly there were strong indications he was often late for training and didn't put huge amounts of effort in - Not something which would go down well with someone like Lampard who was always first on and last off the training ground as a player

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

In fact, I think I’d go one better. I don’t actually think Marriott is good enough, and I don’t think he ever will be. Controversial, but there you go. For me there’s a reason why lampard didn’t fancy him.

I think he's a natural goalscorer - But prone to laziness - Often the case with natural talents

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

This was discussed with relation to all our 'strikers' in another thread. If you go along with xG stats then Martin and Lawrence are exceeding them slightly but lots of others aren't. Marriott missed three reasonable chances on Saturday and his xG stats are in the negative. I think it was @JfR that posted them and understands them better. His conclusion was we needed a couple of 'game changers' recruited. My take was we need more goals from players other than our 'strikers'.

Obviously but the strikers need to take the main burden for scoring goals. 

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Interestingly there were strong indications he was often late for training and didn't put huge amounts of effort in - Not something which would go down well with someone like Lampard who was always first on and last off the training ground as a player

I think he's a natural goalscorer - But prone to laziness - Often the case with natural talents

He’s certainly got a good finish when he’s on form, that’s for sure. He’s got the natural ability, but I don’t think he works anywhere near hard enough off the ball. With some rumours surrounding his attitude etc, and him often being unavailable for selection, I think we have to start considering whether he’ll ever become the player he could be. I don’t think he will, and I think it’s a priority to get better. Imo of the 11 on the pitch against forest, he’s the weak link.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Or when they think they're already good enough. Watched the huge amount of effort put in by Salah yesterday, and thought of Jack. Against F*rest there were several occasions where Martin was 'closing down' but no-one else was, why? He also was gesturing for them to get further forward but again, not to much effect. Now I don't expect us to close down like Liverpool but I would like to see a 'concerted' effort.

27 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Personally, i dont see the whole lazy thing. I see Marriott working hard every time he's on the pitch. For me, we don't see the best out of him because of creativity. That goes for all our strikers. Jack is the best finisher at the club. Our strikers cant score if we dont create enough chances. it's been better the last 2 games, but we still arent creating as much as we used to. 

6 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Personally, i dont see the whole lazy thing. I see Marriott working hard every time he's on the pitch. For me, we don't see the best out of him because of creativity. That goes for all our strikers. Jack is the best finisher at the club. Our strikers cant score if we dont create enough chances. it's been better the last 2 games, but we still arent creating as much as we used to. 

You aren't there in training though - That's where apparently Lampard found him lazy

On the pitch he's like an excitable puppy but that's cos someone's paying him to do a job he loves - Training is where it counts for a lot of managers though - If he's not prepared to put the work in on the training ground he won't adapt to new ways of playing or new players around him etc etc

Why don’t we give them a few weeks before chucking them in the bin. 

Defenders make mistakes for goals and strikers miss chances. Look at Man Utd, a few weeks ago they had issues at both ends and perseverance looks like it’s paying off for them. 

I feel like we might just tonk somebody soon with a similar line up to Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Why don’t we give them a few weeks before chucking them in the bin. 

Defenders make mistakes for goals and strikers miss chances. Look at Man Utd, a few weeks ago they had issues at both ends and perseverance looks like it’s paying off for them. 

I feel like we might just tonk somebody soon with a similar line up to Saturday. 

Well Preston are a tough nut to crack so I doubt we will tonk them. 

Archived