Suggestion

Rambam2014

I am aware that this is in the wrong section and will probably get moved, but it refers to how threads specifically in this section have a habit of evolving in to un-necessary nastiness.  I have got my tin hat out and I'm ready for some flak.

Football forums are places that are meant to raise passions and football is all about opinions.

God knows we've had our fair share of devisive stuff to deal with recently. 

I read a lot of the threads on this (mostly) great forum, and the difference of opinion and differing points of view make it a brilliant place to keep up to date with our club.

A well balanced debate with arguments from both sides is the whole point of these places.

BUT.......all too often threads that start out with a genuine subject quickly lose any sight of the original topic and turn into something completely different.

My suggestion for our mods;

When threads descend in to back and forward nasty abusive rows, would it be possible for them to be moved in to a new section, perhaps titled "The Forum Playground" or "The Kindergarten" or even "Get Yourselves A Room"

A request button to "Move to the Playground", with a need for at least six requests, would highlight when a thread had turned nasty.

There would be no need to close or delete these threads. People could continue their battles and their fueds as they wish.  And then keep the original thread open for others to continue with on topic discussions.

Not against people having a keyboard warrior row, but if it is not possible to continue a thread without going completely off the original topic and dropping down in to the gutter with nasty personal abusive replies which often are nothing to do with the theme of the original thread, just go and do it somewhere else.

I know i cannot speak for everyone, but from my point of view it really puts me off from joining in, even continuing to read some threads once they have turned into a row with very little resemblance to the original thread.

This is not a totally serious request, I know it's never going to happen.
But maybe a button and some sort of indicator to highlight that a thread has gone toxic might improve things ?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Rambam2014 said:

I am aware that this is in the wrong section and will probably get moved, but it refers to how threads specifically in this section have a habit of evolving in to un-necessary nastiness.  I have got my tin hat out and I'm ready for some flak.

Football forums are places that are meant to raise passions and football is all about opinions.

I read a lot of the threads on this (mostly) great forum, and the difference of opinion and differing points of view make it a brilliant place to keep up to date with our club.

A well balanced debate with arguments from both sides is the whole point of these places.

BUT.......all too often threads that start out with a genuine subject quickly lose any sight of the original topic and turn into something completely different.

When threads descend in to back and forward nasty abusive rows, would it be possible for them to be moved in to a new section, perhaps titled "The Forum Playground" or "The Kindergarten" or even "Get Yourselves A Room"

A request button to "Move to the Playground", with a need for at least six requests, would highlight when a thread had turned nasty.

There would be no need to close or delete these threads. People could continue their battles and their fueds as they wish.  And then keep the original thread open for others to continue with on topic discussions.

Not against people having a keyboard warrior row, but if it is not possible to continue a thread without going completely off the original topic and dropping down in to the gutter with nasty personal abusive replies which often are nothing to do with the theme of the original thread, just go and do it somewhere else.

I know i cannot speak for everyone, but from my point of view it really puts me off from joining in, even continuing to read some threads once they have turned into a row with very little resemblance to the original thread.

But maybe a button and some sort of indicator to highlight that a thread has gone toxic might improve things ?

I think a big button entitled “David’s naughty step” would suffice. 

The thing that I find most frustrating is when you get back from a match and would like to read some constructive debate about how we played and you have to wade through pages and pages of petty squabbling from people who are just here to annoy or pick an argument.

It just makes me turn away and not bother to post. I'm sure given the quietness of the match day thread for such a big game that others feel the same. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

The thing that I find most frustrating is when you get back from a match and would like to read some constructive debate about how we played and you have to wade through pages and pages of petty squabbling from people who are just here to annoy or pick an argument.

It just makes me turn away and not bother to post. I'm sure given the quietness of the match day thread for such a big game that others feel the same. 

Having been guilty of a bit of petty squabbling relating to the F*rest game I can concur with you @angieram! I would have preferred to read some more constructive debate about a game that gets both sets of fans 'up for it'. It was too easy to subsume my annoyance with our result, we wuz robbed! into silly arguing. 

I look forward to reading your match report ? ?

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I ended up reporting some posts which contained outright personal abuse.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Having been guilty of a bit of petty squabbling relating to the F*rest game I can concur with you @angieram! I would have preferred to read some more constructive debate about a game that gets both sets of fans 'up for it'. It was too easy to subsume my annoyance with our result, we wuz robbed! into silly arguing. 

I look forward to reading your match report ? ?

I thought you were one of the ones trying to turn the debate back to the football, actually. 

I have given up on the match report this weekend. 

Yes totally agreed. I hold my hands up and say I contributed partly to the above last night, I say partly as I woke up this morning to another form of abuse on the same forum which was carried on from last night.

As @Paul71 rightly quotes if people have a polarised opinion on something then it propogates robust debates, when matters sink into petty personal abuse and name calling then things have gone too far which happened last night with 3 posters which I won't call out on here as it may have been the drink talking given the timings of the posts. 

1 hour ago, Rambam2014 said:

It's a very fair point in general I've seen lots of instances of posts go totally off piste with digressions that have nothing to do with the original post which then requires someone forcibly bringing the topic back on track.

Not sure if this is the mods job or would expect us as a group of people hopefully with the same shared common interest to do this. 

I get the point about squabbling and feel the mods do keep on top of it.

However,  going off piste is always going to happen. Conversation naturally evolves and other perspectives come into them.

The problem with writing down your thoughts on a forum like this is that if you dont get that point over clearly then others can often misunderstand exactly what you are trying to say.

Much easier to explain yourself in real time 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes totally agreed. I hold my hands up and say I contributed partly to the above last night, I say partly as I woke up this morning to another form of abuse on the same forum which was carried on from last night.

As @Paul71 rightly quotes if people have a polarised opinion on something then it propogates robust debates, when matters sink into petty personal abuse and name calling then things have gone too far which happened last night with 3 posters which I won't call out on here as it may have been the drink talking given the timings of the posts. 

I think you started it all mate, hope you think before typing next time I should not have responded to you, well I have learnt my lesson, I do usually just keep it to football but last night I went a touch to far. 

Having an opinion on a player or a formation shouldnt result in the poster getting abused. I posted about a formation yesterday saying that i prefer 433 over 442. This resulted in me me "talking crap" " my heads up my arse" " im on the wind up" " i lack football intelligence". I mean, come on people. Just put "disagree"!?!? This forum has got to be the worse place for warriors. Its worse than facebook! 

Just now, Xlor said:

...saying that i prefer 433 over 442. This resulted in me me "talking crap" " my heads up my arse" " im on the wind up" " i lack football intelligence". I mean, come on people. Just put "disagree"!?!? 

The strength of your 'preference' statement lead to an equal strength of rebuttal. Perhaps that might have something to do with not just getting a 'disagree' reply? 

I feel I must defend Tyler Darden to a degree here having been on the end of Mr/Mrs/Ms Harliss’s opinion in the past, apparently I only post negative stuff that he/she took exception to one evening a while back.

Maybe Tyler posted he couldn’t be arsed because not attending or watching was a big deal for him, he’d become so disillusioned what was at one time unthinkable, occurred, I don’t know. 

I do feel he shouldn’t have had to justify himself to people with an ‘I’m a better fan than you mentality. The level of righteousness made me want to puke.

Archived