Phillip Cocu interview with John Percy

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, rynny said:

It is still free, you just need to register. 

I've read on here that you only have to put an email address in, doesn't have to even be a real one, there is no confirmation. 

I went to register a few days back to read an article and they wanted my payment details even though it was a free trial. Having been "burnt" before I decided against it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I went to register a few days back to read an article and they wanted my payment details even though it was a free trial. Having been "burnt" before I decided against it.

No payments details required if you click the free trial and as @rynny said, it doesn't even have to be a verified email. I've just registered as Phillip Cocu himself and enjoyed reading every bit of my own interview. 

He was a fantastic football, give him time and could be a fantastic manager with lots of tactics but most of all, hes fantastic with words which makes you trust him and believe in him ? i believe in cocu ? lets stick with him im sure we will end up in promise land but to start with lets go there on Saturday and smash the scum come on you ?

7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Some good stuff in there. 
“Cocu is a deep thinker, obsessed with the intricacies of match preparation, sports science and nutrition. He is fascinated by cognition, which he describes as “brain training” to improve reaction skills and concentration.”

The cognition stuff btw is massive. The England Rugby Union team have a cognitions coach under Eddie Jones. Football is definitely played in the mind. 

I’d definitely have Phillip around for dinner. I do like his cerebral approach but suspect some of the players may not fully get it. 
It may take another 2 years, but with the impending new investment that Mel is working on, Derby will rocket when the time comes. And then Mel will sit back in his chair and say “My work here is done”. 

We are going to win against Florist but the game is only in my mind in a cognitive sense of the word. I sat next to two Rams fans on plane back from Fuerteventura this week. It is an omen. 

52 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We are going to win against Florist but the game is only in my mind in a cognitive sense of the word. I sat next to two Rams fans on plane back from Fuerteventura this week. It is an omen. 

Were they both female? Twenty-somethings? And “in your mind”, were they wearing any clothing? If the answer to the last question is “no”, then I suggest it was just a dream ?

22 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Were they both female? Twenty-somethings? And “in your mind”, were they wearing any clothing? If the answer to the last question is “no”, then I suggest it was just a dream ?

Man and his wife from Worcester who travel to the Rams games. My wife was hit by a large parasol after a gust of wind on holiday blew it over and the first person who came to the rescue was a topless lady. She was not in her twenties. This did actually happen last week. She met us in the cafeteria the next day and I did not recognise her at first with her clothes on. This actually happened, it was not a dream. I am not joking. It shocked my wife for a couple of hours as she did not see the parasol until it had  hit her. All true. Quite traumatic .

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Man and his wife from Worcester who travel to the Rams games. My wife was hit by a large parasol after a gust of wind on holiday blew it over and the first person who came to the rescue was a topless lady. She was not in her twenties. This did actually happen last week. She met us in the cafeteria the next day and I did not recognise her at first with her clothes on. This actually happened, it was not a dream. I am not joking. It shocked my wife for a couple of hours as she did not see the parasol until it had  hit her. All true. Quite traumatic .

Yeah...sorry about that

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Once on holiday, my lad, who would've been about 5 at the time, asked if I wanted to play bat and ball with his new mates mum.

No problem I said, grabbed said bat and ball and jumped in the pool, only to find my foe topless and extremely fit.

I had to wade progressively deeper and deeper into the water, until I ended up returning serve with the aid of a snorkel and mask, all the while acknowledging the glare of the missus watching on from a sunlounger.

11 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Oh! Sorry about that. Still every cloud has a silver DD cup. ?

8 hours ago, David said:

Just looked and it is now for me as well, maybe they leave it open for the first couple hours before locking it down, not sure

Would you consider asking the DCFC Media team to publish the article on the DCFC website, and then pay a link to it. 

If DCFC do not have rights to republish such articles, perhaps they should introduce such a clause in future.

Derby fans should have access to such interviews.

7 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Would you consider asking the DCFC Media team to publish the article on the DCFC website, and then pay a link to it. 

If DCFC do not have rights to republish such articles, perhaps they should introduce such a clause in future.

As others have said, just sign up, enter fake details if you like as you don’t need to confirm them to read

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Once on holiday, my lad, who would've been about 5 at the time, asked if I wanted to play bat and ball with his new mates mum.

No problem I said, grabbed said bat and ball and jumped in the pool, only to find my foe topless and extremely fit.

I had to wade progressively deeper and deeper into the water, until I ended up returning serve with the aid of a snorkel and mask, all the while acknowledging the glare of the missus watching on from a sunlounger.

Did she comment on your lob?

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He played up front didn't he?

I think he might have been more a midfield playmaker Roy. Recall Rams strikers, when asked why they weren't getting in on goal, replying 'waiting for Godot...to put a decent ball through'  

12 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

No newspaper should make money when writing about Derby because we're entitled to read it for free?

On 07/11/2019 at 09:18, Nuwtfly said:

“The ambition should be promotion, if we have a firm foundation and philosophy throughout the club. You need to have ambition and we will have to fight to get into the play-offs. 

“If we don’t get there, it’s not a lost season. In football it is sometimes difficult to see the mid-term to the long-term because the short-term is so important.

“Sometimes to make a really big step forward you have to invest some time, without losing your ambition.”

Standout quote for obvious reasons but it’s gathered so much traction with the fans because Cocu is the first manager we’ve had (at least in my time) that isn’t talking out his arse when he says something like that.

Clough knew how to cut costs, work with a limited budget and install the right culture but tactically was poor.

McClaren had success when he took over Clough’s team and coached them up, but he’s never had a sustained period of success at a club. His focus was always the pitch and the training ground.

Rowett spent more time talking about doing stuff like this then he actually did doing anything. I swear the bloke spent more time in front of cameras chatting absolute poo then he did coaching the team. My suspicion is Gary was more about Gary than anything else, getting to the PL and making a name for himself was the priority, hence ditching us for Stoke.

Lampard was great and will be a great manager but he was seriously inexperienced, which showed at times.

I just think Cocu has everything you could want in a manager, particularly at this level. Coaching, culture, experience, respect. He knows what he’s doing, he has a vision that he knows he can deliver given time.

The point is we’ve had some decent managers here but they’ve all had their flaws, I can’t buy their “vision” the same way I buy Cocu’s.

The Lampard buzz papered over a lot of the cracks last season, we made 8 summer signings and escaped the claws of FFP with some creative accounting. Really we’ve still got a weird squad of a load of different managers signings and have paid the price for buying players for promotion pushes rather than long term value.

There’s no pressure on this season from me and no one’s deserved our patience like Cocu.

Another 10-year plan and God knows how many transition seasons ahead then! Well, that's what it seems some are saying. Let's just point out the obvious flaws:

• Other teams have just got on with it, without excuses, and sailed past us.
  • Big teams will poach our better players who'll get frustrated playing Championship football.
  • 2nd point leads to us rebuilding and transitioning again.
  • Etc. etc. etc. etc.

The article wasn’t blocked for me, yet sometimes they are. They might have a limit on number of articles you can access for free every month? Medium do this, but the work around is to use private  browsing, as it’s all cookie based so doing this means they have no idea how many articles you’ve read this month.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but thought I’d share in case. 

7 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Standout quote for obvious reasons but it’s gathered so much traction with the fans because Cocu is the first manager we’ve had (at least in my time) that isn’t talking out his arse when he says something like that.

Clough knew how to cut costs, work with a limited budget and install the right culture but tactically was poor.

McClaren had success when he took over Clough’s team and coached them up, but he’s never had a sustained period of success at a club. His focus was always the pitch and the training ground.

Rowett spent more time talking about doing stuff like this then he actually did doing anything. I swear the bloke spent more time in front of cameras chatting absolute poo then he did coaching the team. My suspicion is Gary was more about Gary than anything else, getting to the PL and making a name for himself was the priority, hence ditching us for Stoke.

Lampard was great and will be a great manager but he was seriously inexperienced, which showed at times.

I just think Cocu has everything you could want in a manager, particularly at this level. Coaching, culture, experience, respect. He knows what he’s doing, he has a vision that he knows he can deliver given time.

The point is we’ve had some decent managers here but they’ve all had their flaws, I can’t buy their “vision” the same way I buy Cocu’s.

The Lampard buzz papered over a lot of the cracks last season, we made 8 summer signings and escaped the claws of FFP with some creative accounting. Really we’ve still got a weird squad of a load of different managers signings and have paid the price for buying players for promotion pushes rather than long term value.

There’s no pressure on this season from me and no one’s deserved our patience like Cocu.

I don't disagree with your post @Leicester Ram; I agree with all of it in fact but I just wonder if you can explain what you think Cocu's vision is. I don't think he's ever discussed it out aloud. I know from what MM has said in the media that Phillip is involving himself at every age level across the Club to instill that "Golden Thread" but I don't know what the core theme of his vision is. I think PC is a reserved chap and I'm ok with that but perhaps he would be better served if he started to explain a bit more what he is doing "in the background". We've seen some progress lately (midfield diamond, playing Martin and Marriott up front together and Lawrence in the No 10 "hole") but frankly a lot of regular fans could've said that's what we should be trying about 12 weeks ago; and I'm not trying to expose any short-comings in PC - I'm trying to stimulate an open discussion about what the team is doing and how that connects with a bigger picture, and a vision. A vision without a task is just a dream. What tasks is PC attaching to Derby County to make his vision a reality?

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/11/cocu-intrigued-by-marriott-and-martin-combination

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I don't disagree with your post @Leicester Ram; I agree with all of it in fact but I just wonder if you can explain what you think Cocu's vision is. I don't think he's ever discussed it out aloud. I know from what MM has said in the media that Phillip is involving himself at every age level across the Club to instill that "Golden Thread" but I don't know what the core theme of his vision is. I think PC is a reserved chap and I'm ok with that but perhaps he would be better served if he started to explain a bit more what he is doing "in the background". We've seen some progress lately (midfield diamond, playing Martin and Marriott up front together and Lawrence in the No 10 "hole") but frankly a lot of regular fans could've said that's what we should be trying about 12 weeks ago; and I'm not trying to expose any short-comings in PC - I'm trying to stimulate an open discussion about what the team is doing and how that connects with a bigger picture, and a vision. A vision without a task is just a dream. What tasks is PC attaching to Derby County to make his vision a reality? 

Without a doubt this is currently our strongest front three.

However it's also a front three which needs licence to attack and we have struggled to field a three man midfield which can support them. 

That's one reason Cocu may have played more battling forwards like Waghorn and Bennett. 

Bielik, Shinnie and Holmes all have strengths but I don't see them as being a cohesive unit of three either in defence or attack. 

I hope they will find that chemistry but it's more likely we will strengthen in that area in January. 

Archived