Phillip Cocu interview with John Percy

Nuwtfly

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

The cognition stuff btw is massive. The England Rugby Union team have a cognitions coach under Eddie Jones. Football is definitely played in the mind. 

I’d definitely have Phillip around for dinner. I do like his cerebral approach but suspect some of the players may not fully get it. 

McClaren was big on the sports psychology wasn't he? When it worked and the players bought into it, the results were noticeably better. Unfortunately a lot of footballers are as thick as two short planks. I think it was at Forest where someone was quoted after he left as saying the players just didn't get it and thought it was stupid

5 minutes ago, David said:

Just looked and it is now for me as well, maybe they leave it open for the first couple hours before locking it down, not sure

Sometimes you get 1 free view per week, so if you click through again it won't open fully.

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Some good stuff in there. 
“Cocu is a deep thinker, obsessed with the intricacies of match preparation, sports science and nutrition. He is fascinated by cognition, which he describes as “brain training” to improve reaction skills and concentration.”

The cognition stuff btw is massive. The England Rugby Union team have a cognitions coach under Eddie Jones. Football is definitely played in the mind. 

I’d definitely have Phillip around for dinner. I do like his cerebral approach but suspect some of the players may not fully get it. 
It may take another 2 years, but with the impending new investment that Mel is working on, Derby will rocket when the time comes. And then Mel will sit back in his chair and say “My work here is done”. 

He's right! Having played at a reasonably high level in sport,I knew the issue for me is when you start to think too much about what you are doing - rather than just doing it. Training is for thinking, improving reactions and making it second nature - game time is when it should be done automatically. There's a reason why quality players fluff their chances when they are one on one with a keeper and why horses wear blinkers - don't think or get distracted by anything, just action from instinct. 

1 minute ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

He's right! Having played at a reasonably high level in sport,I knew the issue for me is when you start to think too much about what you are doing - rather than just doing it. Training is for thinking, improving reactions and making it second nature - game time is when it should be done automatically. There's a reason why quality players fluff their chances when they are one on one with a keeper and why horses wear blinkers - don't think or get distracted by anything, just action from instinct. 

Absolutely; Johnny Wilkinson’s account of how he kicked 10 million kicks in training over his career from every possible angle and distance to ensure he had the “software” available for when he had the same kick in a game is fascinating. As too is Mike Atherton’s account of batting “in the zone” against Alan Donald when he “watched” himself score 100 on autopilot...All psychology. 

3 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

There was a good episode of @Steve Bloomer's Washing with Percy on it. Of course he didn't divulge his sources but for the last 18 months or so I feel Mel has a direct line to him.

Cheers for this - our chat with Percy is from 16mins 34secs in on the link above (unless you wanna hear us talking about losing to Millwall last season). 

10 minutes ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Cheers for this - our chat with Percy is from 16mins 34secs in on the link above (unless you wanna hear us talking about losing to Millwall last season). 

...food for thought for this season; Rowett v Cocu ...now their post-match chat would be worth a listen. ?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

It is for me. Perhaps I've tried to read their articles before

1 hour ago, David said:

Just looked and it is now for me as well, maybe they leave it open for the first couple hours before locking it down, not sure

It is still free, you just need to register. 

I've read on here that you only have to put an email address in, doesn't have to even be a real one, there is no confirmation. 

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

unfortunately words alone don’t get you anywhere, you have to back it up with actual talent, Gary Rowett and Paul Clement stick out like a sore thumb in that regard, great talkers, average/poor managers 

for Derby, I'd have to disagree. Both were more effective this early into their tenure. That's not to say Cocu won't achieve more for us, but both Rowett and Clement left Derby in the play-off zone.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Is there many managers we've had in recent years where they have done these types of articles and we have not been impressed - especially in the earlier days of new managers?

Not really, they mostly came out with sound bites - Pearson, Clement and Rowett were all quite predictable. All along, Cocu has been measured in his comments and gives the impression of knowing quite clearly the direction he is going in.

45 minutes ago, rynny said:

It is still free, you just need to register. 

I've read on here that you only have to put an email address in, doesn't have to even be a real one, there is no confirmation. 

Cheers mate, BorisJohnson69 has just registered and has signed up for updates on Women's sport.

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Cocu's great. I also took this as rather noteworthy:

I feel its been implied at times but I don't recall it being stated that explicitly before. 

Every time I read/hear his words it bolsters my confidence in defending him through our poor games ? 

If we lose on Saturday and play poor, anyone who kicks of on here or social media should be sent this article.

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

I think all managers can give a good interview, they all know the right things to say and how to say them. 

unfortunately words alone don’t get you anywhere, you have to back it up with actual talent, Gary Rowett and Paul Clement stick out like a sore thumb in that regard, great talkers, average/poor managers 

Hmm I get where you are coming from but I don't think the comparison to Clement and Rowett. Personally thought Clement presented well but without much actual insight, all polish with little substance in his chat. Rowett was similar but with a bit more insight at times. However Rowett in particular had a nasty habit of saying one thing and doing something completely different. In both cases I think they were more conciveved about perception about themselves than providing insight, case in point would be how irritated Rowett would get at the mere mention  of playing style.

Cocu seems different, he looks like he couldn't care less about impressing and his words have been wholly consistent with his actions and it's very clear that when he talks he's deeply insightful.

Whether that will translate into eventual performances is another question but I do think that given time and a bit patience that he could really do something impressive here.

Archived