Rams Memories

Brammie Steve

Okay, so I'm getting on in years.

Seen good and bad years.

I wonder what anyone else would consider the highlight of their RamWatching life.
Now that we have access to football down the ages I was glad to relive some great matches.

My personal high point has to be our second goal against Eusebio's Benfica.

October 25th 1972 Baseball Ground. 28th minute.

Hinton corner (naturally!) inch perfect to Roy Mac who deflects to King Kevin.

Without even touching the ground into the net! 2-O!

Watch it on YouTube and...."Wish you were there?"

What's your best Rams moment?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A we blustery, stormy Wednesday night at the BBG, against Shrewsbury I think. The large hanging metal loudspeakers in the ley stand were blown all over the place and eventually the cables on one snapped sending it plummeting down and destroying the seats underneath. Luckily we were absolute rubbish and there was only about 11k in that night and the ley stand was quite empty. It didn’t fall on anyone but if it had they would have been killed instantly. A lucky escape all round. Will never forget the shock and panic of the stewards. I think today the game would have been abandoned and everyone sent home. 

1 minute ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Too many Baseball Grounds moments to cherish so I’m going for our FA Cup win at Tottenham. 3-1 down to a 5-3 win. Stood  around Spurs fans so I had to restrain myself...what a night though?

You and me both. Most of my mates were Spurs fans back then.. My gloating knew no bounds. I was stood on The Shelf with them for that game.

27 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

You and me both. Most of my mates were Spurs fans back then.. My gloating knew no bounds. I was stood on The Shelf with them for that game.

didn't the wind have an influence?  we played into it in the first half.  Did your mates think it was done and dusted t halftime?

Strangely my fondest memory was at my first game. We were playing Bristol city in 2007 I want to say and basically Robbie savage 2 footed a guy with studs up and got red carded and that’s about all I remember but I loved it and it hooked me on Derby. 

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

didn't the wind have an influence?  we played into it in the first half.  Did your mates think it was done and dusted t halftime?

Yes they did.. Great atmosphere to be honest, always was at WHL. You might be right about the wind, long time ago but it rings a bell.

Back in the day and being London based I used to go to Spurs a lot. One week Derby, one week Spurs with the lads. People knew I was a Derby fan but never had any problems at all. Medium Angry is actually a Spurs fan today. I can sort of excuse that, although he does not get birthday or Christmas presents. Oh and he's out of the Will now. Little Angry is rubbing his hands. 

9 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Okay, so I'm getting on in years.

Seen good and bad years.

I wonder what anyone else would consider the highlight of their RamWatching life.
Now that we have access to football down the ages I was glad to relive some great matches.

My personal high point has to be our second goal against Eusebio's Benfica.

October 25th 1972 Baseball Ground. 28th minute.

Hinton corner (naturally!) inch perfect to Roy Mac who deflects to King Kevin.

Without even touching the ground into the net! 2-O!

Watch it on YouTube and...."Wish you were there?"

What's your best Rams moment?

Do you mean in terms of a game you were at or any Rams moment on the radio/tv etc? I think the most enjoyable matches I have actually attended were the 2 away games at White Hart Lane in the late 80's, the 2-1 and 3-1 wins, particularly the 3-1 where the Tin Man was unplayable and the noise in the away end was deafening that day. Also memorable, my first Rams match, the 6-2 away win at Ipswich in 1976, Frannie Lee's last ever game and the Rotherham, cool as custard match, felt sick with nerves throughout. In terms of matches I have seen on tv, Charlie's wonder goal v Real Madrid and strangely enough the play off semi final win last season v the Dirties, that takes some beating.....

Only started going in 95, so pretty envious of anyone who went during our success in the 70s.

For me personally:

Winning promotion against Palace 95/96. My first season going to games: we sign Igor, have a 20 goal player in Sturridge and go on a 20 game unbeaten run. Pretty surreal and amazed we didn’t pip Sunderland to 1st even today.

Wanchopes debut goal at Old Trafford. 

Will never forget the play offs against Southampton at PP, running on the pitch once Idiakez skyed it and getting absolutely caked in mud ?

Dave Jones last minute goal against Sheffield Wednesday ? unreal angle against Mark Crossley if I remember 

46 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Strangely my fondest memory was at my first game. We were playing Bristol city in 2007 I want to say and basically Robbie savage 2 footed a guy with studs up and got red carded and that’s about all I remember but I loved it and it hooked me on Derby. 

You’re a purist then? ?

8 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Derby v Chelsea ....League Cup 1968

The ground was rocking that night 

I was there stood on the pop-side with some school mates, what an atmosphere, what a night!

Early Clough/Taylor days and still in 2nd division we came from behind to be 1st division Chelsea 3-1 playing some great football.

It was at that point I knew, and my mates knew that we were going places...

Archived