Cameron Dawson

RiddingsRam

9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

So...? Who played in goals for Brentford last season? Who played in goals for Bolton.? You haven’t got a clue. 

Bentley for Brentford - although if you mean against Derby then I have a sneaky feeling he didn't play in one of our games last season. Not a clue about Bolton.
It goes to show some people know some players and not others. You, it seems, don't know many at all and believe it's the same for everyone else.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bentley for Brentford - although if you mean against Derby then I have a sneaky feeling he didn't play in one of our games last season. Not a clue about Bolton.
It goes to show some people know some players and not others. You, it seems, don't know many at all and believe it's the same for everyone else.

It is the same, but others just don’t want to admit It, nice googling by the way.

Daniel Bentley was one of the keepers I was promoting on here, ever since his Southend days.
(Without googling it) I’m pretty sure he played at PP last season. I can’t actually remember the away game. He is a good keeper at this level. Not necessarily premier league quality but he would have been a good option to succeed Carson. 

our problem is that due to the warped finances in the championship, and the huge losses we have incurred on poor signings, we haven’t got much to spend. I suspect that we couldn’t afford him by the time he moved to Bristol city. Perhaps the best we could have hoped for is some sort of exchange deal with jozefzoon going back to Brentford. 

Dawson played for sheff wed at PP this season and from memory was a bit crap. He came to prominence when he displaced Westwood but I was disappointed in him. I doubt whether he is any better than Roos. 

if there is an interesting player out there, I find that the relevant club fans forums are often a good source of info. 
for instance I was wondering what Oxford fans thought of Elliott Moore and rob dickie. And then how Jamie Hanson was doing. There was a devastating critique of Hanson which said he was too slow for full back and too short for centre back and was basically discarded.....and yeah.....that’s about right. 

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Daniel Bentley was one of the keepers I was promoting on here, ever since his Southend days.
(Without googling it) I’m pretty sure he played at PP last season. I can’t actually remember the away game. He is a good keeper at this level. Not necessarily premier league quality but he would have been a good option to succeed Carson. 

our problem is that due to the warped finances in the championship, and the huge losses we have incurred on poor signings, we haven’t got much to spend. I suspect that we couldn’t afford him by the time he moved to Bristol city. Perhaps the best we could have hoped for is some sort of exchange deal with jozefzoon going back to Brentford. 

Dawson played for sheff wed at PP this season and from memory was a bit crap. He came to prominence when he displaced Westwood but I was disappointed in him. I doubt whether he is any better than Roos. 

if there is an interesting player out there, I find that the relevant club fans forums are often a good source of info. 
for instance I was wondering what Oxford fans thought of Elliott Moore and rob dickie. And then how Jamie Hanson was doing. There was a devastating critique of Hanson which said he was too slow for full back and too short for centre back and was basically discarded.....and yeah.....that’s about right. 

Raya (was at Blackburn, now at Brentford) was another we may have shortlisted in the summer - but Brentford signed him for £1m more than they sold Bentley for.
I don't rate Dawson too highly (especially after his performance against us). Woodman (likely prem loan next season), Bettinelli (prone to the odd blunder), Lumley, and George Long are probably the most achievable signings from the keepers in this division and arguably a bit better than Roos - Woodman is the best GK in the division for me

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Raya (was at Blackburn, now at Brentford) was another we may have shortlisted in the summer - but Brentford signed him for £1m more than they sold Bentley for.
I don't rate Dawson too highly (especially after his performance against us). Woodman (likely prem loan next season), Bettinelli (prone to the odd blunder), Lumley, and George Long are probably the most achievable signings from the keepers in this division and arguably a bit better than Roos - Woodman is the best GK in the division for me

I wonder if we went for Bialkowski from Ipswich, who’s now on loan at Millwall. I seem to remember him being very highly thought of by Ipswich fans (three consecutive POTYs). 

He’s 32, but I think he could be an option in the summer, especially if Ipswich stay in League One.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I wonder if we went for Bialkowski from Ipswich, who’s now on loan at Millwall. I seem to remember him being very highly thought of by Ipswich fans (three consecutive POTYs). 

He’s 32, but I think he could be an option in the summer, especially if Ipswich stay in League One.

I don't think he suits the profile of GK we're after (young and capable of playing out from the back. Only 2 GKs make fewer short passes than his 2.9 per game - Smithies (0.1) and Etheridge (1.3)... 3 if you include Fielding's 1 short pass in half a game... maybe that's just a Cardiff and Millwall thing. Wednesday's Westwood and Dawson are also two of the next three for fewest short passes. 

image.png.0e9c0d89e1b1bac7ea0eab81bff611c7.png

Roos doesn't even have that as a weakness ?

Can't say I was that impressed by Dawson when he came to Pride Park, from memory I think it was his distribution particularly under pressure that made me think he wouldn't be an upgrade.

In terms of alternatives I wonder if Darren Randolph going to West Ham means Fabianski is available?  Along with Dubravka at Newcastle I think he's criminally underrated.  And having just double checked via Google he's 34 and currently injured (for a couple of weeks), so our recruitment team are doubtless already all over this one ?

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He was a player I always used to sign on champ manager from Southend - Not a great recommendation for real life football but a lower league (at the time) keeper I've always been aware of because of it

41 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There was a devastating critique of Hanson which said he was too slow for full back and too short for centre back and was basically discarded.....and yeah.....that’s about right. 

I don't understand why people keep playing the lad at full back - I thought he looked like he could be a good CM - His vision and passing was decent, got a good engine on him, decent in the tackle - Reminded me of Adam Bolder in that old-school solid, dependable work-horse with a tackle mould - Jake Livermore somehow made the England team and he's basically that

• 2 weeks later...

Archived