Rooney at Derby

therealhantsram

Anyone got any thoughts on what position he plays? 

I can kind of see how the set up below might work with Bielik screening the CBs and Bogle and Lowe having some license to get forward. To me it looks an exciting line-up but as stated, I'm not great on systems and perhaps Cocu will favour more ballast in midfield and may also feel Rooney would be wasted in midfield.

All the same, in my head I can see the FBs bombing forward with Bielik sitting deeper when they do and Wayne and Morgan linking midfield to attack. Martin acting as pivot and hold up man with Jack feeding off the flicks and Lawrence having a little more space to do what we know he can. At the moment he seems our only real goal threat so better organised teams find it easier to nullify him. Might this set up give them more to think about and therefore buy Tom space in which to operate? Could the front 3 also be a bit more fluid at times to give oppo defences something else to think about?

Hamer 

Bogle       Wisdom          Fozzy        Lowe

Bielik

Whittaker                    Rooney

Lawrence 

Marriott                             Martin       

I'd have Duane and a young gun or two stood by or Shinnie and Evans as more defensive alternatives against the better sides but surely something like the above in a home game against the likes of QPR would be OK. Sibley, Knight and trialist the possible young guns along with Waghorn, Malone, Evans, Roos and Davies the other mixers. 

Worth a pop or too gung ho?

Rooney wasted in MF or worth a pop to allow Jack, Chris and Tom to play too?

Too early to integrate the young'uns or nothing to lose and much to gain?

It's not easy this manager malarkey that's for sure.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Anyone got any thoughts on what position he plays? 

I can kind of see how the set up below might work with Bielik screening the CBs and Bogle and Lowe having some license to get forward. To me it looks an exciting line-up but as stated, I'm not great on systems and perhaps Cocu will favour more ballast in midfield and may also feel Rooney would be wasted in midfield.

All the same, in my head I can see the FBs bombing forward with Bielik sitting deeper when they do and Wayne and Morgan linking midfield to attack. Martin acting as pivot and hold up man with Jack feeding off the flicks and Lawrence having a little more space to do what we know he can. At the moment he seems our only real goal threat so better organised teams find it easier to nullify him. Might this set up give them more to think about and therefore buy Tom space in which to operate? Could the front 3 also be a bit more fluid at times to give oppo defences something else to think about?

Hamer 

Bogle       Wisdom          Fozzy        Lowe

Bielik

Whittaker                    Rooney

Lawrence 

Marriott                             Martin       

I'd have Duane and a young gun or two stood by or Shinnie and Evans as more defensive alternatives against the better sides but surely something like the above in a home game against the likes of QPR would be OK. Sibley, Knight and trialist the possible young guns along with Waghorn, Malone, Evans, Roos and Davies the other mixers. 

Worth a pop or too gung ho?

Rooney wasted in MF or worth a pop to allow Jack, Chris and Tom to play too?

Too early to integrate the young'uns or nothing to lose and much to gain?

It's not easy this manager malarkey that's for sure.

Given our current lack of firepower and goals I’d be tempted to play him up top/off Martin.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Apologies that this is a Sun article. 

It says we haven't won since the opening day of the season so I don't know how accurate the rest of the article is! 

can someone copy and paste the article on a word document please

Against Forum rules. It basically says FA says Rooney can wear the number 32 as other 32 Red sponsored clubs have had number 32s.

It says we're using Rooney's image to bolster half season ticket sales (surprise!) 

It says we haven't won since first day of season.

I think that's about it.

On 03/12/2019 at 07:53, Tamworthram said:

Play him wherever we like. He'll be a heavily marked man and thus create more space and time for others. What they do with it is another matter mind.

Heavily marked or injured by some Luddite in the first game. (Heaven forbid). 

59 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

weird how these things happen.

Yeah!

The most weird coincidence I see consistently is how goalkeepers kick the ball, and it invariably lands on someone’s head. Amazing when you consider the size of the pitch and all the places the ball could land.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

never thought about that mate... reckon they could be helping us with his wages?

nah, probs not, Leeds reckon we'll get done by the EFL for that!

Leeds reckon a lot of things ! ,  Ex European Champs you know ? , they're picked on you know ?,  singled out ......can't think why ? 

I wonder if Wayne had some input at half time. The first half was possibly the worst I’ve seen at Pride Park. It must have felt like I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here to England’s and Manchester United’s record goal scorer. 

I can’t imagine him NOT having something to say. They did come out with a lot more fire in their bellies, if not much more quality.

Archived