Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Squid

UEFA Youth League - U19s v Akranes

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought Festy & Sibbs & no4 were the men. Whittaker did little, wifted about and gave the ball away lots.

Same here, festy absolutely have their fullback on toast, and that no4 looks different gravy. Haven’t seen him much before but it looked too easy for him out there, read the game so so well. Whittaker I also thought struggled to get into the game, didn’t quite seem to have the quality some others did.

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed that. We looked the better team for the majority of the game but got sloppy and were made to work a lot harder for the win because of that. The cameraman/woman/genderfluid person got excited after they scored and the dodgy camera work seemed to confuse the ref as much as it did me.

Share this post


Link to post

Just got back, my toes are frozen, but a happy Ram.  A deserved win, Derby dominating the first half, with ÍA paying them too much respect really, but second half ÍA were the better side but their passing let them down in the final third, thankfully for the young Rams.  A rather physical encounter, as i figured it would be and got a bit ugly there near the end.  The under heated astroturf was very dry and so the ball did not roll well on it, good for short passing and dribbling but harder on longer passes.

Really enjoyed myself, was seated at the half way line at the top of the stadium along with uncle.  Saw no one in a Derby cap or any Derby insignia apart from staff and two young Derby players in the stands, u16's maybe.  Heard some come on Derby yells a few times but couldn't spot where it was coming from as they were seated amongst ÍA fans apparently.  The cow bell was from a ÍA supporter i believe and some Derby fans used the opportunity between sounds to yell out Derby.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Another game where Sibley runs the midfield. He’s some talent, please get him a loan ASAP if we dont plan on using him in the first team. 

Hang on, he’s got to single handed lay win us this tournament first. 

Don’t care if it’s only under 19s, champions of Europe, I like the sound of that. 

Share this post


Link to post

Best players for Derby in the first half were Sibley, his runs through the middle created havoc time and again and his excellent ball control and passing helped the team with their attacks creating two assists, was rather confrontational and aggressive in an attempt to subdue ÍA players and in the first half that worked , Archie Brown, had many threatening runs up the left with promising right back 17 year old Jón Gísli being initially intimidated by his athleticism and Liam Thompson played assuredly in midfield.

Second half Sibley again, the ball seemed glued to his feet as he went forward past ÍA's midfield and defensive players, but his aggression calmed as some strong ÍA players let their presence be felt, Thompson again looked very good, his positional sense, quick thinking, passing and interceptions were noticeable, one to keep an eye on i reckon and Jordan Brown who grew as the game progressed, was dangerous going forward and linked up well with other players, uncle was particularly impressed with him.  Whittaker was better in the second half, uncle calling him a tricky devil and not surprised he has been involved with the first team.

Edited by ramit
Afterthought

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Papahet said:

Another game where Sibley runs the midfield. He’s some talent, please get him a loan ASAP if we dont plan on using him in the first team. 

Defo needs first team football but i would like to keep him here as hes seems to be improving every week i dont know if thats coz hes training with our first team. It cant be long till he get a real chance for us, i think if shinnie or holmes would get injured it would have to be sibley to come in 100% unless its after January and rooneys here but think all the youngsters will learn alot from rooney and cocu

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ramit said:

Just got back, my toes are frozen, but a happy Ram.  A deserved win, Derby dominating the first half, with ÍA paying them too much respect really, but second half ÍA were the better side but their passing let them down in the final third, thankfully for the young Rams.  A rather physical encounter, as i figured it would be and got a bit ugly there near the end.  The under heated astroturf was very dry and so the ball did not roll well on it, good for short passing and dribbling but harder on longer passes.

Really enjoyed myself, was seated at the half way line at the top of the stadium along with uncle.  Saw no one in a Derby cap or any Derby insignia apart from staff and two young Derby players in the stands, u16's maybe.  Heard some come on Derby yells a few times but couldn't spot where it was coming from as they were seated amongst ÍA fans apparently.  The cow bell was from a ÍA supporter i believe and some Derby fans used the opportunity between sounds to yell out Derby.

Good post, but I will say when that surface gets dry, it's actually horrible for short passing. The zip of the ball disappears and it's like playing on top of a Weetabix. Whenever it bounces with any spin on it at all, it's like facing a spin bowler in cricket because it grips the dry surface. Much nicer when it's had a bit of water on it.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Srg said:

Good post, but I will say when that surface gets dry, it's actually horrible for short passing. The zip of the ball disappears and it's like playing on top of a Weetabix. Whenever it bounces with any spin on it at all, it's like facing a spin bowler in cricket because it grips the dry surface. Much nicer when it's had a bit of water on it.

Guess it's just bad for all passing then, but i felt it was noticeable how longer ground balls slowed down unnaturally quickly.

Decided against sprinkling water on it i suppose because of the considerable frost

Share this post


Link to post

Uncle and i were sitting right next to the Rams cameraman.  In the highlight video on the official Derby page after the second goal at 1m10s uncle can be heard mumbling his appreciation and then a delayed yayhay from me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Hughes is Dead !!!!wtf ??!!!

I was wondering when someone would notice that. Everyone’s too busy picking holes in the comparison to notice I’ve inadvertently declared Hughes to be deceased. 

But, yeah, might as well be. Not much life I’m that Watford team at the minute. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I was wondering when someone would notice that. Everyone’s too busy picking holes in the comparison to notice I’ve inadvertently declared Hughes to be deceased. 

But, yeah, might as well be. Not much life I’m that Watford team at the minute. 

You are Watford?

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, ramit said:

Just got back, my toes are frozen, but a happy Ram.  A deserved win, Derby dominating the first half, with ÍA paying them too much respect really, but second half ÍA were the better side but their passing let them down in the final third, thankfully for the young Rams.  A rather physical encounter, as i figured it would be and got a bit ugly there near the end.  The under heated astroturf was very dry and so the ball did not roll well on it, good for short passing and dribbling but harder on longer passes.

Really enjoyed myself, was seated at the half way line at the top of the stadium along with uncle.  Saw no one in a Derby cap or any Derby insignia apart from staff and two young Derby players in the stands, u16's maybe.  Heard some come on Derby yells a few times but couldn't spot where it was coming from as they were seated amongst ÍA fans apparently.  The cow bell was from a ÍA supporter i believe and some Derby fans used the opportunity between sounds to yell out Derby.

Top quality post ramit

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.