Sign in to follow this  
MackworthRamIsGod

A penny for Mels thoughts

13 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Ah apologies I thought you meant as in team selection. Maybe he was guided by SR into employing these managers but he still signed off on the strategy.

Possibly - Although I'd argue that his solo appointments have been better than his joint-appointments

14 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’m talking as at today, not last or the season before, today. You could argue that there is more to come from this team and we are underperforming but it doesn’t get away from the fact that we are 16th in the league, therefore we aren’t performing as well as the side he took over.

I think that's a little pedantic - Does that mean that you considered us to be doing better than last season after the first game against Huddersfield? Cos we were 5th after that game

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think that's a little pedantic - Does that mean that you considered us to be doing better than last season after the first game against Huddersfield? Cos we were 5th after that game

At that time it would have been very opinionated based on being at such an early stage of the season. However I’m comparing a team that had just come off the back of a top 3 finish, with a solid foundation of quality players built over a period of time that we’re looking to push on.

Where as now I view us being in a transitional period, with a bit of work required to make us competitive for a top 6 spot let alone top 2, and a manager who is still finding his feet at this level and a chairman who has admitted is looking for further investment to take the team forward. I acknowledge the other work he has done and in a few years time we may be producing players through our youth system that means his long term strategy has been successful, but until that time I still believe we have gone backwards under his tenure.

Anyhow, must be like Groundhog Day with my countless posts on this subject, so I’ll bow out now as I think I have gone over my views enough or as others will say, to many times.

7 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Where as now I view us being in a transitional period, with a bit of work required to make us competitive for a top 6 spot let alone top 2, and a manager who is still finding his feet at this level and a chairman who has admitted is looking for further investment to take the team forward. I acknowledge the other work he has done and in a few years time we may be producing players through our youth system that means his long term strategy has been successful, but until that time I still believe we have gone backwards under his tenure.

I think that's a valid and fair opinion - I merely objected to you stating it as a fact

I suspect Mel is thinking that he wishes he'd been born in Burton, followed the Brewers and used them as his hobby investment, rather than the fiscal black hole which is Derby County.

7 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

At that time it would have been very opinionated based on being at such an early stage of the season. However I’m comparing a team that had just come off the back of a top 3 finish, with a solid foundation of quality players built over a period of time that we’re looking to push on.

Anyhow, must be like Groundhog Day with my countless posts on this subject, so I’ll bow out now as I think I have gone over my views enough or as others will say, to many times.

The summer following the 3rd place finish, we strengthened the squad by signing Thorne for a full season (only for him to pick up a season long injury in pre-season, and replaced Wisdom for Christie. We finished 8th largely due to losing Thorne.
The next season, Bryson and Hughes picked up long term injuries (Hughes out for most of the season). Thorne also picked up a long term injury on the last day of the season.

If it wasn't for those injuries to 3 of our 4 key midfielders, I doubt we'd be having this discussion. Bad luck seems to have had more of an impact on our 'regression in league position' than Mel owning the club.