A penny for Mels thoughts

MackworthRamIsGod

You just have to feel incredibly sorry for Mel Morris, yes he has made mistakes, but with good intentions.

After the Mac to Newcastle saga, George Thorne snapping his leg on day 1, the Clement debacle, Pearsongate, Sam Rush and Inces mum, Rowett jumping ship etc etc, we finally looked to have turned a corner with Lampard. Everything was looking up and investors were queuing up to get a piece.

But, no one could have foreseen that Frank would be Chelsea manager after 12 months and we were back to square one.

Mel then pulls a blinder and gets internationally renowned Cocu to come in Lampards place, probably a better manager than Frank and then they announce that Wayne Rooney was joining, again things were looking up and surely Investors would line up again to have a piece.

And then this season happens......

Just how much more can a man take? Is he still committed to getting us to the prem, has this made him more determined to sort the club out and turn it around, or has he genuinely had enough and would sell to the highest bidder?

I would love to ask him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Just how much more can a man take? Is he still committed to getting us to the prem, has this made him more determined to sort the club out and turn it around, or has he genuinely had enough and would sell to the highest bidder?

He's a fan. He'll try to do what is best for the club. But I hope he stays. #weareallDerby

Feel sorry for Mel, but seriously feel for Cocu,

When walking into this job the last thing he would have expected is all of this.

Coupled with the impatience of certain fans, poor performances from half hearted players, I deffo feel sorry for him.

We all need to rally together as a fanbase, in unity, support our team, support the gaffer and support Mel.

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

When walking into this job the last thing he would have expected is all of this.

Coupled with the impatience of certain fans, poor performances from half hearted players, I deffo feel sorry for him.

We all need to rally together as a fanbase, in unity, support our team, support the gaffer and support Mel.

Yeah I worry what Cocu is thinking, he did wonders at PSV, then got another big job at Fenerbache (although that went sour).

He has now walked into this circus, wouldn't surprise me if he ripped up his contract and said thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't blame him.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Yeah I worry what Cocu is thinking, he did wonders at PSV, then got another big job at Fenerbache (although that went sour).

He has now walked into this circus, wouldn't surprise me if he ripped up his contract and said thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't blame him.

Nah! He's here for the long haul. #weareallDerby

You run the club like a fan then this is what happens.

Year after year since he has been involved we have made headlines for off the field activities, and whilst I acknowledge he has done a lot of good for the club and im sure has the best intentions at heart, he has to take his fair share of blame for where the club finds itself today.

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

All of that, and we're still only 6 points off top 6!
Last season, we were 5 points off top 6 with just 56 games to play. We still have 32 games to play this season.

Just now, AdamRam said:

You run the club like a fan then this is what happens...he has to take his fair share of blame for where the club finds itself today.

I'm not convinced one follows the other. But Mel has already said (around the time of the Rush mess) that he has realised how much more hands-on he needed to be.

12 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Year after year since he has been involved we have made headlines for off the field activities, and whilst I acknowledge he has done a lot of good for the club and im sure has the best intentions at heart, he has to take his fair share of blame for where the club finds itself today.

I agree. There's no doubt in my mind that his intent for this club is good, but my biggest issue with him is that he clearly loves the limelight.

When he first bought the club and started splashing the cash on rubbish like Butterfield and a 33 year old Shackell for about £4m he was loving it; being photographed with every new signing pen-in-hand etc. He obviously loved being famous for the first time in his life. I sort of don't begrudge it him to an extent but I sometimes wonder if it's lead him to make some decisions he might not have if he'd had his business head on.

He got burned badly by all the garbage we signed and managed to rein it in a bit and keep a lower profile, but now in Lampard/Rooney he's worked out how to gain national publicity as opposed to local and without having to spend a fortune to boot, and he's revelling in it again.

He certainly deserves some credit for some entertaining times, but he isn't blameless for some of the bad stuff either.

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Financially stable, playoff finalists last year, playoff contenders 3 of the 4 years he's been in charge, attracting management talent like Lampard and Cocu, supporting and expanding the youth academy year after year, persuading the best english player of his generation to come play for us and coach future talent

This season we lost a manager to a side who won a european trophy last season, have had a ridiculous situation involving the stupidity of players and our new manager who has no experience in this country or league hasn't settled as quickly as we would like

Where exactly does "the club find itself today"?

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Financially stable, playoff finalists last year, playoff contenders 3 of the 4 years he's been in charge, attracting management talent like Lampard and Cocu, supporting and expanding the youth academy year after year, persuading the best english player of his generation to come play for us and coach future talent

This season we lost a manager to a side who won a european trophy last season, have had a ridiculous situation involving the stupidity of players and our new manager who has no experience in this country or league hasn't settled as quickly as we would like

Where exactly does "the club find itself today"?

A lower half table club with a poor squad, having just sacked our captain for gross miss conduct, whilst keeping the two other culprits on the pay roll despite them being found guilty for DD and fleeing the scene of a crime.

Not forgetting still being under EFL investigation for selling our ground to comply with FFP rules, bringing in a 34 year old player on god knows how much money funded by a betting company, having a yearly running cost that is so much that we are having to seek investment to subside it.

Thats not even going mentioning past events like dressing rooms, drones, Sam Rush etc....etc...

30 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

A lower half table club with a poor squad, having just sacked our captain for gross miss conduct, whilst keeping the two other culprits on the pay roll despite them being found guilty for DD and fleeing the scene of a crime.

Not forgetting still being under EFL investigation for selling our ground to comply with FFP rules, bringing in a 34 year old player on god knows how much money funded by a betting company, having a yearly running cost that is so much that we are having to seek investment to subside it.

Thats not even going mentioning past events like dressing rooms, drones, Sam Rush etc....etc...

If all you want to do is cry and moan you can find any reason to do so - And have

Try a cup of tea and a sense of perspective every now and then

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If all you want to do is cry and moan you can find any reason to do so - And have

Try a cup of tea and a sense of perspective every now and then

You asked a question, I answered it.

Thanks for your well thought response though - I’ll consider it ?

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

You asked a question, I answered it.

Thanks for your well thought response though - I’ll consider it ?

You're a person with a firm belief that everything is bad at the moment - There isn't a well reasoned argument which will sway you because belief isn't founded in reason it's founded in emotion - The cup of tea I thought would be the most helpful thing for your dour outlook on the situation

52 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

A lower half table club after 14 games after the previous manager jumped ship and our best 3 players of last season are not here. Not mels fault.

Sacked our captain for gross misconduct, keeping the other players has nothing to do with Keoghs punishment. (we don't know, keogh may have caused the accident by pissing around in the car). Not mels fault.

We were under investigation because a certain green eyed chairman doesn't like it, you really think he would have done it if there was any chance of him being caught, it's basically fraud. No blame on mel at all.

How anyone cannot get excited at the prospect of Rooney playing for us is beyond me. We signed Mcgrath at 37 when we were in the prem and he was brilliant, rooney is a class player for this league. A brilliant move by Mel that will bring more tv revenue and sponsership to the club just as Lampard did.

Why is having a betting company to sponsor/fund any deal wrong?, funny how no one was moaning when they were first announced as a sponsor and the fact they also sponsor other teams too. This is a non argument and just another stick to beat mel with and try and justify moaning for the sake of moaning.

How many clubs with high asperations run on a profit?, not many, if any. Every club are always looking for more investment whether your Liverpool or Burton.

Regards the other issues you state. If i owned a club and spent millions of my own money and I thought any of my emplyees were not putting 100% effort in whilst being very well payed, I'd be in there giving em what for too.

How is sam rush allegedly shafting us Mels fault?. Again, you employ someone to do a job, I find it incedible anyone can blame Mel for the actions of a trusted employee. Not mels fault.

As for the drones, this was taken massively out of context.

The only fault imo that lies with mel is that he's probably put too much of his own money into employees who have consistently let him down.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You're a person with a firm belief that everything is bad at the moment - There isn't a well reasoned argument which will sway you because belief isn't founded in reason it's founded in emotion - The cup of tea I thought would be the most helpful thing for your dour outlook on the situation

Maybe you missed the bit where I said he had done a lot of good for the club, however I am also going to point out that in my opinion the club is not in a good place at the moment, you asked for examples of this and I provided them.

My own view is that he is a very good businessman, however for whatever reason, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, there are a lot of aspects within the club where he has taken us backwards, this is not an emotional outlook, it is one I have shared on here for a while now. 

You may not agree with it, which is fair enough, I’m not going to respond and tell you to have a “cup of tea” and you will see things differently, I’m old enough and wise enough now to know people see things differently. However once again though thanks for you advice and insight to my outlook on this topic, in response to a question you asked me ?

Archived