Time to play the kids?

Rambam

The U18 and U23s have been very successful. I’m not advocating playing all of them, but surely they need bringing through systematically now, á la Chelsea.

We may well lose more than we win at first, but I feel it needs to be done.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea didn't just put them straight in the first team though - they sent most of theirs out on loan to lower league clubs before they put them in their first team. Most of ours don't usually go out on loan anywhere and have very little first team experience as a result. Lowe benefited immensely from his time in Scotland and I think that would benefit some of our other youngsters as well. We might play a few youth players as subs, etc, but for me it would be better if they are playing regularly in lower or foreign leagues before we start playing them regularly in our own first team. Whilst I know the likes of Bogle and Hughes never really went anywhere else I do still think it would benefit the younger players to be playing first team football for a season or two even if it isnt here.

20 minutes ago, Rambam said:

The U18 and U23s have been very successful. I’m not advocating playing all of them, but surely they need bringing through systematically now, á la Chelsea.

We may well lose more than we win at first, but I feel it needs to be done.

They are very successful against the teams/players they're up against. Could be a different story against seasoned and experienced championship/recently relegated premier league players.

Archived