Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

Fully understand he’d be annoyed that out of the three he’d be the only one to get the boot, but as captain and a 30+ year old man he should’ve known better than to get in the car that night.

He knew the trouble the club was in and he was offered reduced wages which he turned down, the mans an absolute **** in my eyes, even after costing us a place in the Prem the fans still got behind him and it’s us fans that will ultimately suffer when we’re struggling for another season or two on the back of all this. If he had anything about him he’d of dropped the case when he was back in employment because he should’ve known better. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting that this case has again gone through the EFL's own regulatory systems rather than the standard employment tribunal that serves the rest of us mere mortals. 

It's like they are a breed apart from the law that governs the rest of us.

I have had no sympathy for Keogh since he refused to accept a reduction in wages, or at least negotiate something with the club. I still think he let his club down that day by not behaving as a captain should and taking some responsibility for the safety of the younger players and himself. Surely the £24,000 per week he was getting paid conveyed some expectation of maturity with it? 

So, he's got his full wages plus whatever he's been paid by MK Dobs and Huddersfield since. I hope it makes him happy. Not.

Interesting point about the EFL system versus employment law. Are footballers not subject to normal employment law?

That said, having to deal with people & employment law, it very much favours the employee such that it is very difficult to terminate an employees contract without having to go through a lot of months worth of paperwork & formal meetings / discussions. 

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It was handled poorly regardless of who made the decision to sack him. We've ended up paying him anyway and now have a load more bad press to chuck in with all the other bad press floating around. Players talk to each other, if we get a reputation for messing players around it could cost us in more ways than we think.

Messing players around?

He was the club captain, got absolutely out of his face, into a car with a drink driver and put himself out of action for over a year.

How do you think we should have handled it? Sent him some flowers and a get well soon card maybe?

I'll be honest, I don't want players here who's concern is not getting paid if they get hurt in a pissed up car smash.

Yet another poor decision by the club. We could have had him available for a few months and saved £0 by sacking him.

I don't blame Keogh at all, he probably thought he was appreciated at this club. A month's wage fine would have been enough for what he did. Ruined the legacy of such an important player in our recent history.

I hope Mel picks up the bill. This makes us look even more ridiculous... 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I hope it makes him happy. Not.

Indeed.

I'm forcing myself to hold back from saying something that would make me very, very unpopular and gain a lot of angry face reactions.

It's really quite a struggle, but I'm just about managing it - if I'd had a drink then who knows!

Sorry, this is quite a pointless post really isn't it!?

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

Yet another poor decision by the club. We could have had him available for a few months and saved £0 by sacking him.

I don't blame Keogh at all, he probably thought he was appreciated at this club. A month's wage fine would have been enough for what he did. Ruined the legacy of such an important player in our recent history.

Yeah youre right, ridiculous not paying someone because he had injured himself by getting in a car with a drink driver.

Just now, DCFClks said:

I do have a bit of sympathy for Mel in this although it could have been handled better.  I suppose Keo might be turning up for the club joking with players and not showing any contrition (he never has apologized).  Might have behaved like a red rag to a bull.  Yep we look like the basket case we are

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

I agree. It was a shocking, immature and unprofessional chapter from the players involved. But the same sanctions should have been applied to all the players involved. I appreciate RK was club captain and he made a major error of judgment while under the influence...haven’t we all been guilty of that to some extent ?

I thought his punishment was very very harsh, considering his dedication and love of the Rams. 

Keogh should never ever be welcomed back to the club. Ever. Another one who has tarnished his legacy through no fault but his own.
For a man who professes he gave everything to the club he loves and still tries to take the club to the cleaners for something that he is entirely responsible for. He knows the club is in a tricky financial situation. Hope his 2.3 million makes him happy. 

6 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

It is the club as the employer who are liable not Mel and one interesting point, if the club went into admin or liquidation, would not be allowed back into the league unless all outstanding player wages/settlements paid in full.

Didn't he also not put his seatbelt on?

Surely if you put yourself in danger, then subsequently get injured which means you can't continue in your job, your employer shouldn't have to cover your wages.

If I deliberately put acid in my eyes, then I couldn't see for 2 years, should my work pay me for 2 years when I couldn't work?

1 minute ago, Asheville Ram said:

It is the club as the employer who are liable not Mel and one interesting point, if the club went into admin or liquidation, would not be allowed back into the league unless all outstanding player wages/settlements paid in full.

liquidation we are gone creditors get a piece of probably not a lot

admin will negotiate with creditors to find he best way out , if they can' t only one option left

3 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

The club should sue Lawrence or his insurance company to recover the money.

That's what I would do. Win the money back off him, and then use it to sack the Bamford. 

He can dance around with beer in his hand with a total lack of self-awareness all he wants, as long as he isn't in this club

Stands like he's ducking Ronaldo before lumping the ball into row M or the wall. 

Just my opinion, like.