Could we copy sheff utd

Just listening to the moan in while reading some posts on here... I think we are all in current system /shape isn’t getting the most out of our players (whether they are good enough to compete or not) .

I do think that model is interesting as outside of their formation a lot of their players have proven to be average at best until the last year or two.

Head to head outside of their system I would argue only Henderson, possibly o Connell, Egan and Norwood would walk into most championship teams playing 4 at the back.

So to get the best out of the Derby squad: 

Davies- needed for leadership and to put the hard foot in but needs protection from his lack of pace and ball playing skills

marriott and Martin/waghorn- need to utilise Martin as one of the only players who shown the potential to be a top championship player

lawrence- new solution/last hurrah needed before we give up on getting any consistent performance out of him

lowe/bogle- very exciting going forward but not great at marking the far post
bielek-record signing and a decent player there but hasn’t commanded energetic championship midfields and looks suspect defensively 

gk (Roos or hamer- no opinion but neither inspire)

Bielek                             Davies                        Evans/buchanan

bogle                                                                                                     Lowe

Shinnie                      Sibley/bird

Lawrence/holmes

Marriott.                 Martin/waghorn

pros- brings out the strengths of all the players above

creates good opportunity for young players in roles where they are protected

Two ball playing players to bring the ball forward out of defence without taking up a midfield position and allowing a more energetic combination in central midfield 

an actually dangerous attacking 3 who would have the freedom to impose themselves on the opposition

thoughts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Just listening to the moan in while reading some posts on here... I think we are all in current system /shape isn’t getting the most out of our players (whether they are good enough to compete or not) .

I do think that model is interesting as outside of their formation a lot of their players have proven to be average at best until the last year or two.

Head to head outside of their system I would argue only Henderson, possibly o Connell, Egan and Norwood would walk into most championship teams playing 4 at the back.

So to get the best out of the Derby squad: 

Davies- needed for leadership and to put the hard foot in but needs protection from his lack of pace and ball playing skills

marriott and Martin/waghorn- need to utilise Martin as one of the only players who shown the potential to be a top championship player

lawrence- new solution/last hurrah needed before we give up on getting any consistent performance out of him

lowe/bogle- very exciting going forward but not great at marking the far post
bielek-record signing and a decent player there but hasn’t commanded energetic championship midfields and looks suspect defensively 

bogle                                                                                                     Lowe

Lawrence/holmes

pros- brings out the strengths of all the players above

creates good opportunity for young players in roles where they are protected

Two ball playing players to bring the ball forward out of defence without taking up a midfield position and allowing a more energetic combination in central midfield 

thoughts?

That formation.

spacer.png

It's a 4132 for me, suits the players brilliantly.

Marriott      Martin

Dowell            Lawrence        Holmes

Shinnie

Malone          Bielik          Davies           Bogle

Roos

2 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Lawrence/holmes

thoughts?

Possibly too light weight to compete in the championship. You can sometimes get away with not having physicality if you have enough talent, but we don't. 

17 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I think there's a bigger problem than getting the best out of our players - We don't have enough playmakers - I'd suggest that any team needs 3/4 players who can break through the normal flow of the game (ie, the organised ebb and flow of most championship games where everyone sticks 10 players behind the ball) and create chances

Last season we had Mount, Wilson, Lawrence and Bogle doing it (and sometimes Huddlestone from deep) - This season we have only really had Lawrence - And teams have worked out that by marking him out the game we're relatively toothless

I think we need a regular partnership on the RHS to get the best out of Bogle - Dowell seems to be a creator/playmaker but doesn't offer much else - And then we have Rooney coming in January

I think we still need 1/2 players who have a bit of creativity to them to take the load off Lawrence and show that we have threats in other areas too - Those players will bring the best out of the likes of Shinnie, Waggers and Holmes who are great when they work with someone creative but don't seem to have the x-factor on their own

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Hope we have a Goodyear.

The way some are talking we will be playing at the pirelli next year

Archived