Sam Cosgrove, gone to Brum.

Nuwtfly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

The club have not stated any valuation, so Im not sure where you have got that from. 

What they paid for him doesnt mean anything. 

Let Stoke gamble their parachute payments on him. 

Sorry got it wrong it was reported in the Sun newspaper, page 62 on the 1st Dec they have put a £4m price tag on him. Their manager Derek McInnes expects to lose him in January.

21 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

HITC?

The manager rubbished the Sun report 3 days later.  

£4m would certainty get him but Id question the sanity of someone signing that cheque given the FFP issues in the championship. 

Selling bogle for over 10 million (hopefully) will sort ffp out.

Aberdeen's local rag has named us with interest: https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/mcinnes-sees-dons-fans-back-anderson/ 

Whilst McInnes’ priority in the transfer window is strengthening the squad he could also be faced with interest and potential bids from English clubs for leading scorer Sam Cosgrove and Scotland cap Scott McKenna.

Already on 20 goals for the season, Cosgrove is being tracked by Middlesbrough, Derby County and Stoke City.

Need to sign this player, I have a feeling we will regret it like the time we were interested in Ollie Watkins (McClaren got the sack and Rowett was'nt interested). Rumours were the money Exeter wanted was too much and then in that summer Brentford paid £1.8m for him. I reckon an offer of the same price would sway Aberdeen to part with him. If he went to another Championship side and starts banging them in for them. SACK THE RECRUITMENT TEAM Act now

38 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Need to sign this player, I have a feeling we will regret it like the time we were interested in Ollie Watkins (McClaren got the sack and Rowett was'nt interested). Rumours were the money Exeter wanted was too much and then in that summer Brentford paid £1.8m for him. I reckon an offer of the same price would sway Aberdeen to part with him. If he went to another Championship side and starts banging them in for them. SACK THE RECRUITMENT TEAM Act now

We've got Wazza for that now! ?

We still need to reduce the squad size and remove another half dozen top earners if we are going to get the wage bill down towards a more sustainable target. Therefore what about a few exchange deals?

I’d rather we did that than sell our top academy products. (Bogle isn’t ready for the premier league anyway). 

53 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We still need to reduce the squad size and remove another half dozen top earners if we are going to get the wage bill down towards a more sustainable target. Therefore what about a few exchange deals?

I’d rather we did that than sell our top academy products. (Bogle isn’t ready for the premier league anyway). 

I'm not really sure what 'top' earners we could now move on without needing to replace them though? I'd say the squad size is about right. The youngsters drop back to the u-23s when not needed in the squad.

14 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Mel didn't name Watkins outright but said that there was a player we wanted from a lower league and was told he would cost £4m so looked elsewhere, then a few weeks later they sold him for less than half that to another championship team. 

4 hours ago, rynny said:

Mel didn't name Watkins outright but said that there was a player we wanted from a lower league and was told he would cost £4m so looked elsewhere, then a few weeks later they sold him for less than half that to another championship team. 

In an interview last year, Steve McClaren stated he had spoken to Exeter and Ollie Watkins. It never happened because the powers to be thought it was a risk for a League 2 player for the amount. There is got to be a slight risk in picking up a player thats coming from a lower League, but getting a player from the Scottish Premiership should'nt be that much risk. If he did'nt work out, we could sell on for more or less the same price we lay out.

Mate of mine is an Aberdeen season ticket holder, this is what he had to say (other than grumbling that they've already given us their captain - what more do we want, moan, moan, moan...):

"I didn’t rate Cosgrove when he arrived. Big lump of a guy with not much football about him. Good target man but wasn’t bringing others into play. Had a tendency to get sent off - in fact in his first 9 months or so he had more red cards than goals. However in the last year it’s clicked, scoring almost a goal a game for a year and now a hero at Pittodrie. Controlled his aggression - although did get sent off the other week against Celtic (unfairly)."

Quite like the look of the lad and he'd be a different option to our current strikers. The thing for me is the fee - if it's really £4 million (and that's far from certain) then it seems a bit steep. This is where I wish our scouts could see beyond the UK borders as at that money, there's going to be some real bargains further a field. 

Also, and I know I keep saying this, but if we're going to splash the cash, I'd like to see a good young CB brought in, though the Jan window might not be the best opportunity for this to happen.

On 05/01/2020 at 09:56, RamNut said:

This is our squad list:

GK - Roos, Hamer, Carson, Mitchell, Ravas
DEF - Bogle, Wisdom, Malone, Lowe, Buchanan, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth
MID - Bielik, Huddlestone, Rooney, Shinnie, Evans, Holmes, Thorne, Knight, Bird, Sibley
FWD - Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Anya, Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Whittaker

Given Carson is out on loan and Thorne and Anya are permanently injured we have a squad of 28 with 7 of those pretty much still academy players. I can't imagine too many of the remaining 21 are on high wages either.

How would any exchange deals reduce the wage bill - you'd be getting someone of similar wage in for the player going out.

As things stand, we're set to lose a number of high earners anyway: Carson(?), Hamer, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Thorne, Anya, Bennett, Martin

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This is our squad list:

GK - Roos, Hamer, Carson, Mitchell, Ravas
DEF - Bogle, Wisdom, Malone, Lowe, Buchanan, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth
MID - Bielik, Huddlestone, Rooney, Shinnie, Evans, Holmes, Thorne, Knight, Bird, Sibley
FWD - Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Anya, Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Whittaker

Given Carson is out on loan and Thorne and Anya are permanently injured we have a squad of 28 with 7 of those pretty much still academy players. I can't imagine too many of the remaining 21 are on high wages either.

How would any exchange deals reduce the wage bill - you'd be getting someone of similar wage in for the player going out.

As things stand, we're set to lose a number of high earners anyway: Carson(?), Hamer, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Thorne, Anya, Bennett, Martin

Guess it depends who you see still here next year...

Maybe 18 of them?

Archived