I think we need look at midfield area

B4ev6is

I think we need look at more attacking opapions I felt sorry for Holmes as drove foward but had very little opapions to pass too. I would look at selby and homes in midfield and player behind them would maybe look at max bird I think he do a decent job. He mobile enough to get around the pitch.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that midfield is the issue.

i’d like Us to play 4141 switching to 4132 when Marriott is played.

shinnie as the holding player. That means bielik at centre back. Martin or waghorn at centre forward. Bogle, Lowe, and Roos at the back. Evans or Davies for final position in the back four.

then the attacking midfield options are very clear.

the only wingers available are Lawrence (not a winger), Holmes and jozefzoon. 

Centrally that leaves Sibley, knight, dowell, and Paterson. I know!

i wouldn’t play a loanee in preference to a Ram, and therefore I’d go with Sibley and knight for 4141 and knight and Marriott for 4132.

Go with that until January.

21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

i’d like Us to play 4141 switching to 4132 when Marriott is played.

If it's 4132 how about we go with this:

Marriott         Martin

Dowell              Lawrence         Holmes

Shinnie

Malone           Bielik           Davies           Bogle

Roos

I really don't think that side looks too bad. Maybe also replace Davies with Evans at CB?

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

Marriott         Martin

Shinnie

Roos

I really don't think that side looks too bad. Maybe also replace Davies with Evans at CB?

If we could get a new left winger, then Lawrence central is an option. Personally I’m not a fan of malone, but that’s just me. The rest is fine.

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Marriott         Martin

Shinnie

Roos

I do like this i think evans at the back with bielik would be good but then once rooney is here id replace Lawrence with rooney to give you more creativity and quality or push him back out wide with dowell dropping to the bench! I would like to see a new winger come in if its one of the yound lads or in January 

14 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I think we need look at more attacking opapions I felt sorry for Holmes as drove foward but had very little opapions to pass too. I would look at selby and homes in midfield and player behind them would maybe look at max bird I think he do a decent job. He mobile enough to get around the pitch.

I think we're just doing a holding pattern at the moment B4 - I think Cocu is trying to work out a system which Rooney will slot straight into in January 

Central midfield is the main issue we have. We dont create enough. We have the fire power in this squad. playing 2 defensive midfielders home and away doesnt help, but maybe we are having to do that because attacking wise, we don't have options. We NEED to strengthen with attacking minded central midfielders otherwise this season is going to stay the way it is now. 

Something like this offers the greatest balance to our team when everyone is fully match fit.
                         Bielik
                                  Shinnie
              Dowell
Holmes                              Lawrence
                        Martin

25 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Central midfield is the main issue we have. We dont create enough. We have the fire power in this squad. playing 2 defensive midfielders home and away doesnt help, but maybe we are having to do that because attacking wise, we don't have options. We NEED to strengthen with attacking minded central midfielders otherwise this season is going to stay the way it is now. 

Enter Rooney?

I don’t think we have the midfield options to dominate games whilst bring creative in a 4231. 

We don’t have a Hughes type who will play in the ‘2‘ of a 4231 and just constantly back up play and feed the ‘3’. 

We don’t have the all controlling #10 like Maddison, Cairney or Grealish who has the freedom to just run the game and the rest of the midfield will position themselves to accommodate. 

Bielik is limited in 4231 because his forward passing options are stifled by our own shape. 

I don’t particularly think we have the players for a 433 but I think it would still suit better.

If we were to bin off style and make the most of what we’ve got I think we have the tools to be a devastating counter-attacking team. 

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Marriott         Martin

Shinnie

Roos

I like that. Maybe Lowe instead of Malone. Maybe Paterson and Knight competing with the advanced midfield three. Good to have options.

Think the attacking midfield area is certainly the current weak point within the team. In the system we’re playing at the moment, there’s obviously a lot of emphasis on the number 10 to be the focal point of creating chances. Dowell is just simply not good enough to have that much responsibility put on him. I can’t make any excuses for him after seeing him in a role he really should thrive in on Saturday- he’s just simply a bit poo, and too poor a player for us to be relying upon in attack. No teams getting anywhere with him regularly starting imo, and we need to do something about it. We’re obviously not getting the best out of other players like Holmes who we’ve seen has the ability to be a top player at this level, so we really need to improve our options in attack around him.

The trouble is, we’re not exactly full of options owing to our disastrous transfer window as to who else can play there. Youngster wise, Sibley is the obvious call, but he’s a proper unknown at the moment at senior level, though obviously talented. Lawrence is another who I think could play the role, but again, he’s not exactly quality. Might just about do a decent enough job with better players around him, but he’s distinctly average himself and we could really do with a player who makes better decisions there. Holmes Has been tried there as well, but he’s really not suited to it imo and should only be used there late in games. So we really do lack options here, and I think it would be my highest priority in January if we’re sticking to a 4231. In fact I’d say it’s an absolute must if we want to compete. 

In the mean time, I’d probably give Lawrence a go there and play a couple of inside forwards around him. The idea of playing bird is one that interests me tbf, I think the two CDMs we’ve got in there at the moment are a bit too defensive, bird has a little bit more about him going forward, and he’s obviously still got some talent even if he’s developed a little slower than we’d have hoped. Again, a bit untested at this level but may be worth a look at something like this as a midfield:

Bielik Bird

Holmes Lawrence Paterson

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Something like this offers the greatest balance to our team when everyone is fully match fit.
                         Bielik
                                  Shinnie
              Dowell
Holmes                              Lawrence
                        Martin

That screams of zero shots on goal again.   How many goals between Lawrence, Holmes and Dowell this season? In fact how many goals between any of our 3 behind the CF? I really dont understand this obsession with 1 up front, works well for the likes of City and Liverpool who have the players to play it, but for us I don’t think it works 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

That screams of zero shots on goal again.   How many goals between Lawrence, Holmes and Dowell this season? In fact how many goals between any of our 3 behind the CF? I really dont understand this obsession with 1 up front, works well for the likes of City and Liverpool who have the players to play it, but for us I don’t think it works 

Silly argument... Lawrence and Martin are our joint second top scorers. Waghorn is the only other player to have scored more than one goal. If you're basing a team on this season's goals then you end up with this team (Huddlestone the only other scorer):
                                     Malone
                 Shinnie
Waghorn  Paterson  Lawrence
           Marriott  Martin

It would leaves us with no midfield and no balance. You could swap Waghorn for Holmes into my team, but he wasn't playing very well before being dropped, was he?

Archived