Did Cocu really want Bielik ?

jimtastic56

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an odd time to be starting this thread after Bielik had probably his best half in a Derby shirt yesterday.

Although he didn't look so good second half, he was by far from the worst player on the pitch and was having to react to the rest of the midfield changing around him.

Sibley, I rate him very highly but it's  not a case of him versus Bielik. @jono last few matches I have seen Sibley he hasn't done anything rash so I am hoping he is getting that side of his game coached out of him.

Comparisons to Hughes? Sibley will score loads more goals and his corners are terrific. He gives the ball away more than Hughes as he's always looking to play that killer pass (which he does quite a lot!)

@angieram .. you know I am a half fan with a 1/10th of your insight and knowledge 

I trust your judgement ... so Sibley in ASAP ? ( I see a lot of a Paul Scholes type player there if he can be honed and that would be magic ) 

on Bielik I have no fears, he has quality and loads of it, I suspect a certain amount of inexperience in an out of form side may show from time to time but he’s the real deal in my book and it was good to hear he did well on Saturday all things considered. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

@angieram .. you know I am a half fan with a 1/10th of your insight and knowledge 

I trust your judgement ... so Sibley in ASAP ? ( I see a lot of a Paul Scholes type player there if he can be honed and that would be magic ) 

on Bielik I have no fears, he has quality and loads of it, I suspect a certain amount of inexperience in an out of form side may show from time to time but he’s the real deal in my book and it was good to hear he did well on Saturday all things considered. 

No, let him chomp at the bit a little longer! 

Bielik has lots of quality, yes he makes mistakes, who doesn't?  He has ambition too, i u saw an article when he joined us saying he wanted to play in the prem, if not with us in a couple of years then he hoped someone else would give him the chance. Now im sure many would say that, but lets not forget that Wenger saw him and bought him 'for the future' at Arsenal. We are so hasty these days to make judgments.... bielik is rubbish, cocu is rubbish.... please look at the full picture, how long they have had here, pre season time, injuries, getting to know each other's play styles... its not a pre made recipe/ ready meal u buy in a shop and microwave to perfection in 3 mins. It takes time to brew success. Take a breath, step back if need be, i believe both Cocu and Bielik will be successful here, but it will take time. 

I love it, B4 has just said we need Adam Bolder like players.

I despair.

What we need, and dont really have in a number of positions, is just good players. Then we need a manager that will play tactics and styles that best suit our players. We dont have that either.

We dont need passion B4. We just need better players in just about every position.

On Bielik, I have to say, at £8m, I really thought I was getting more. I thought he'd dominate the midfield, then set us off on our attacks. In reality, we've gone a player whose turning circle is like an oil tanker, regularly gives the ball away and seems frightened to challenge physical players. I still wonder where he will be playing in the long term.

For context, he is almost a year younger than Max Lowe.

He is still learning the game and will, I’m sure, come good. He took his time to settle in at Charlton and will need likewise at Derby.  The big fee was based on potential, not on what he was going to do this season - hence the long contract.

If cocu didn’t want Bielik, he wouldn’t be here, simple as that. I don’t doubt that he wasn’t the one finding Bielik and negotiating the deal to get him here- I should hope we have a team dedicated to doing that sort of thing. But he was manager the whole time the deal was being discussed, and could have vetoed it at any stage. The fact he didn’t, suggests he agreed with the recruitment team that he was the sort of player we needed at that time. Doesn’t mean we all have to agree with him, but to suggest he didn’t want him is ludicrous.

In terms of his actual ability, he’s certainly one of the more frustrating players we’ve got. He’s got undeniable ability, some of the ways he wins the ball, creates space and starts a move off is brilliant. He’s got the natural footballing skill and technique for all to see, and if he could apply himself properly, he’d be one of the best in his position in the division imo. I’d deny massively that he’s a poor header of the ball and has poor vision, in fact I’d argue those are two of his main strengths so I dunno what game the OP is watching! The problem with him isn’t any lack of ability, it’s a lack of any consistency. He goes from the sublime to the ridiculous in mere seconds, from winning the ball brilliantly, to then selling bogle short on a 5 yard ball! He makes so many individual errors it’s untrue! He’s not the only one of course, but this failing to do the basics properly puts us in so much danger. And I can only put it down to a lack of concentration and focus, which isn’t acceptable. Similar to Lawrence, he needs to learn that he’s not as good as he thinks he is and start keeping his head in the game more, simple as.

For the rest of the opening post, I think he sees himself as a centre half from some of his interviews, but he seems more comfortable in cdm to me. No idea why Sibley is being mentioned in the same topic, they’re totally different players who aren’t competing for the same role- Sibley in our system is a number 10. Whether he’s worth a go there is up for debate. We’ve got players there who haven’t been doing too badly, yet Sibley obviously has huge talent to be at this level at his age. But equally, he’s an unknown quantity at senior level, so is it really worth the risk?

At 21 i never thought for a minute it was money spent for a finished product, more the potential.

It is a lot of money but i think that's why its an 'up to' 10 million deal, we are only guessing when we say how much he has cost so far.

He hasn't had the impact Thorne had but then he isn't slotting into a team that is well oiled and winning more than they don't.

The fact it happened so quick after Cocu started I think it points to Mel being in Dialogue with Cocu well before the Lampard move was completed and it just meant cross the i's once he had started the job.

Don't think it was a Lampard move.

Archived