Terrorist or not?

1of4

12 hours ago, ramit said:

What, was Putin wrestling a shark bare chested now?

On this we can agree Jono, the Middle East is a pot that superpowers stir left and right.  i wish there were no superpowers, but of the one's existing i detest the American empire the most.  Not a word comes out of their mouths that is not a lie, be it Trump, Obama, Bush, or any of the other mouthpieces of this decrepit evil empire.  i am ashamed that Iceland bows to these criminals, these common thieves, these amoral elitists who use real people's lives, hopes and struggles as propaganda tools for their aspirations of more, always more and more into infinity.  i do like Putin, he is one clever cat and knows how to play chess.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend ya know and later if the Russians get too big for their breeches i will oppose them with the same ferocity as i do America.  i do not consider it patriotic to support IMO immoral powers that my government bows to, quite the opposite.

i like you Jono, you are a reasonable fellow, we don't agree on some things but i like your style man

I’m not really into supporting any political grouping. I just want a reasonable degree of truth. There will never be complete truth, honesty or purity of motive, but Russia Today, as a source ? A different truth yes but also a state mouthpiece, hardly multi faceted. 

whatever you might feel about different forms of government or nations, it has to be evident that most of us, and the Americans, can moan reasonably loudly about our leadership, and challenge it,  in  public, without any realistic fear of a knock on the door  by the dark forces that exist in all societies. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jono said:

I’m not really into supporting any political grouping. I just want a reasonable degree of truth. There will never be complete truth, honesty or purity of motive, but Russia Today, as a source ? A different truth yes but also a state mouthpiece, hardly multi faceted. 

whatever you might feel about different forms of government or nations, it has to be evident that most of us, and the Americans, can moan reasonably loudly about our leadership, and challenge it,  in  public, without any realistic fear of a knock on the door  by the dark forces that exist in all societies. 

i explained why i posted a RT video interview, the western media won't touch a story disputing chemical attacks on civilians in Syria by the SAA, except to ridicule it.  The news outlets are all agenda driven.

RT is a government mouthpiece and so is the BBC, CNN, Sky and the big media outlets in USA.  Even RÚV in Iceland is a government mouthpiece.  You will be hard pressed to find any large media outlet that is not a propaganda tool.

i don't condone stifling of speech in Russia, but freedom of speech is under attack in the west also.  Criticizing Israel or Zionism is deemed anti Semitism, as is boycotting Israeli goods.  The concept of hate speech, whatever we may think of it, or how we define it is anti free speech.

17 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

it wasn't initially a violent uprising and even the violence which did spawn from the uprisings was initially defensive. They also examine the organic nature of the uprisings which share some characteristics of the Arab Springs in other country. 

Syria's history is fractured with sectarianism both inside government and outside of it. Describing it as secular ignores these very real sub-national identities. Sorry Shabiha it's been a long day. They're not sunni muslim militia's but are armed sectarian gangs who used to be incorporated into Riifat's defence forces. It's the attempt by the Assad regime to sectarianise the conflict and force the religious minorities to think of the revolution as a threat to their livelihoods and ability to live in Syria. This is especially the case since the Assad regime relies upon a patchwork of tribal, religious and a merchant class to survive. 

Sure - it sounds complicated, but have they ever tried to leave the EU? 

1 hour ago, ramit said:

i explained why i posted a RT video interview, the western media won't touch a story disputing chemical attacks on civilians in Syria by the SAA, except to ridicule it.  The news outlets are all agenda driven.

RT is a government mouthpiece and so is the BBC, CNN, Sky and the big media outlets in USA.  Even RÚV in Iceland is a government mouthpiece.  You will be hard pressed to find any large media outlet that is not a propaganda tool.

i don't condone stifling of speech in Russia, but freedom of speech is under attack in the west also.  Criticizing Israel or Zionism is deemed anti Semitism, as is boycotting Israeli goods.  The concept of hate speech, whatever we may think of it, or how we define it is anti free speech.

I’m not so sure, and certainly the recent alleged white sulphur story is going to run a course as the young boy has now apparently been moved to Paris so the truth will out. (Yes I know it’s Turkey that is accused ) 
I have to disagree with you about the RT V Beeb / Sky issue ( I’ll exclude FOX which is a joke like RT) The Beeb and the Grauniad take a certain view whilst Sky / The Times lean a different way but all of them have some journalistic integrity that is streets removed from RT ( or the Mail or the Sun or Fox News; all of whom peddle slanted, mob whipping up half truths and garbage ) 

I don’t think boycotting Israeli goods is anti Semitic, it’s a protest/statement by those who don’t like the USA and support the more aggressive side of the Palestinian cause. No doubt Israel has its problems ( Netanyahu is a bully IMO ) but Israel has a right to exist and is a far better run and fairer society than most of its Arab Neighbours who would cheerfully see it taken off the map. I  think there is some justification for Israel being a hard nut. They are surrounded every bit as much as Gaza is. 

I agree with you about faux sensibilities though .. folk so ready to condemn and brand with a defining tag for just expressing an opinion. But it cuts both ways and is something left wing politics excels at .. subversives, running dogs, reactionaries, counter revolutionaries  and that’s before we even get to the modern day myriad of “You’re a xxxxx phobe” so your view is vile and shouldn’t be allowed to be expressed. Anti Semite .. not fair to say anti Semite Or suggest someone is  ? But the same person crying “not fair” would be the first to brand someone else Islamaphobe or neo con Fascist

11 minutes ago, jono said:

I’m not so sure, and certainly the recent alleged white sulphur story is going to run a course as the young boy has now apparently been moved to Paris so the truth will out. (Yes I know it’s Turkey that is accused ) 
I have to disagree with you about the RT V Beeb / Sky issue ( I’ll exclude FOX which is a joke like RT) The Beeb and the Grauniad take a certain view whilst Sky / The Times lean a different way but all of them have some journalistic integrity that is streets removed from RT ( or the Mail or the Sun or Fox News; all of whom peddle slanted, mob whipping up half truths and garbage ) 

I don’t think boycotting Israeli goods is anti Semitic, it’s a protest/statement by those who don’t like the USA and support the more aggressive side of the Palestinian cause. No doubt Israel has its problems ( Netanyahu is a bully IMO ) but Israel has a right to exist and is a far better run and fairer society than most of its Arab Neighbours who would cheerfully see it taken off the map. I  think there is some justification for Israel being a hard nut. They are surrounded every bit as much as Gaza is. 

I agree with you about faux sensibilities though .. folk so ready to condemn and brand with a defining tag for just expressing an opinion. But it cuts both ways and is something left wing politics excels at .. subversives, running dogs, reactionaries, counter revolutionaries  and that’s before we even get to the modern day myriad of “You’re a xxxxx phobe” so your view is vile and shouldn’t be allowed to be expressed. Anti Semite .. not fair to say anti Semite Or suggest someone is  ? But the same person crying “not fair” would be the first to brand someone else Islamaphobe or neo con Fascist

On media issues we disagree and little point debating it further i reckon.

Yes, the left is very prone to labeling, name calling and attempted shaming of those who disagree with their agendas, no arguments from me there.  The future they hail is one of big brother watching you, of new speak and new think.  Nationalism is also a shameful stance apparently, in line with Nazism and racism.

Of course people are free to call anyone they like an anti Semite, but with free speech, which i believe in, comes a responsibility to present a reasonable argument to a claim.  Calling an anti Zionist an anti Semite is provably wrong, but gets repeated no end.  

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Sure - it sounds complicated, but have they ever tried to leave the EU? 

aha well at least our government doesn't bomb us gas us or shot us into submission if we don't agree with them ? Makes you realise despite my despair over the whole brexit issue how lucky we are to be able to vote who we want out and have these massive disagreements. 

Archived