Bulgaria vs England

Van der MoodHoover

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

82% win rate, against what exactly? The majority of the teams we play are absolute dross. Derby would beat a lot of those national sides. 

Does Southgate seem tactically astute to you? What were his tactics after Croatia figured us out? 

I think what he did at the World Cup is very overrated. Who did he beat that was good on the way? Colombia without their best player, a workmanlike Sweden, Panama and Tunisia. 

Boothroyd has just 64.9% and has the 2nd best record for the U21s (as far as I can tell)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

82% win rate, against what exactly? The majority of the teams we play are absolute dross. Derby would beat a lot of those national sides. 

Does Southgate seem tactically astute to you? What were his tactics after Croatia figured us out? 

I think what he did at the World Cup is very overrated. Who did he beat that was good on the way? Colombia without their best player, a workmanlike Sweden, Panama and Tunisia. 

U21 sides are far closer together than seniors. Barely any of them are dross compared to each other. Don't be ignorant.

David Platt: 3 years, 46.15%
Peter Taylor: 3 years, 56.25%
Stuart Pearce: 6 years, 56.1%
Gareth Southgate: 3 years, 81.8%
Aidy Boothroyd: 3 years+, 64.9%

One of those is a huge outlier, and deserves credit for being such.

On 15/10/2019 at 20:13, reverendo de duivel said:

This is false equivalence at its absolute peak.

Around a hundred Bulgarians are 'evicted' from a stadium during an international match for racist abuse and giving the Nazi salute, Vs 1 England fan doing Heil Hitler in Prague, which I've not seen?

Many England fans making the facist salute during the WC, must have missed it, can you provide proof?

Singing support for the Queen, and therefore her supposedly racist consort by singing the national anthem, wtf?

I just think it’s too easy to say that the Bulgarian fans are racist and throw them out of the competition. We need to understand why they did it, Rob Dorsett and Kaveh Solekal confirmed yesterday that they did these racist salutes because they wanted the Bulgarian FA to be punished because there’s friction between the Bulgarian FA and the Bulgarian ultras. There is clearly a problem in that country but throwing them out the competition isn’t going to do anything because that’s what the ultras wanted and could in fact be counter productive and cause more hatred amongst the non ultras.

As for England nazi salutes, here you are - https://sputniknews.com/amp/worldcup-2018-archive/201806211065614485-england-fans-nazi-salutes-probe/ 

And you’ve misunderstood my point about Prince Philip and the queen. If all the Bulgarian fans(the majority of whom aren’t racist but let down by the ultras) but still punished, shouldn’t the queen be punished because of the comments by her racist husband even both the Bulgarian(majority) fans and the queen are innocent in this matter? I don’t think either are fair. My suggestion is to kick the ultras where it hurts them, Ban the racist ultras for life when they’re identified not just from international matches but from whichever team they support. That will hurt them more so because their whole lives are are dedicated to whoever they support, they clearly don’t care about the Bulgarian national team but they certainly care about whatever club sides they support

34 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

U21 sides are far closer together than seniors. Barely any of them are dross compared to each other. Don't be ignorant.

David Platt: 3 years, 46.15%
Peter Taylor: 3 years, 56.25%
Stuart Pearce: 6 years, 56.1%
Gareth Southgate: 3 years, 81.8%
Aidy Boothroyd: 3 years+, 64.9%

One of those is a huge outlier, and deserves credit for being such.

Boothroyd is doing a pretty terrible job and has a high win rate too. Could indicate the group he had to work with was just a pretty talented bunch? 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Boothroyd is doing a pretty terrible job and has a high win rate too. Could indicate the group he had to work with was just a pretty talented bunch? 

Throughout the 20 years since Platt, when I've been following them, the squad's basically always been the same mix of a couple of nailed on future England starters, a bunch of mid-low table Prem players and a group of Championship players. 

Most highly talented young England players get put straight into the senior squad, or at least get put in a couple of years before they finish being eligible for U21s, only making a handful of appearances at most.
The players who most consistently appear over a time span of 3 years are the Championship players, and prem players who actually start - which isn't very common.

Regardless, its just my opinion that Southgate is underrated. He's done very decent things with an England squad that is very talent thin at CM, CB and GK (again, imo).
Better than plenty of coaches have managed with far more talent rich England squads.

22 hours ago, Andicis said:

He still had a good season. Got us a win at Old Trafford, Saint Mary's and a great performance at Stamford Bridge. The only thing Southgate has done in club football is get a team relegated.

True, but it was Middlesboro so he gets bonus points for that ?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Srg said:

Laughable punishment yet again by Uefa. Colour me surprised.

1 game ban (plus one suspended) and a £64k fine... or you can wear Paddypower boxers and get a 1 game ban and a £80k fine

CD04BD2F-D754-4452-BB47-CC06095043DD.jpeg.ea6aabe9bde53376d875af5517d316b5.jpeg

Other recent (since start of September) racism incidents in UEFA games are:

Serbia vs Portugal - 1 game behind closed doors and a £28k fine. 

Lazio vs Rennes - Partial closure of stadium for next game and £17k fine

Slovan Bratislava vs PAOK - 1 game behind closed doors and £43k fine. Additional £36k fine for crowd disturbances.

Crvena zvezda vs Olympiacos - no action

Porto vs Young Boys - no action

Helsinki vs Crvena zvezda - £43k fine

Hungary vs Slovakia - 1 game behind closed doors and £58k fine for Hungary. 1 game behind closed doors and £17k fine for Slovakia (appealed and reduced to £13k)

Romania vs Malta - 2 games behind closed doors and £71k fine

Don't really get the Southgate bashing. I don't much care what he did at Boro as let's be honest, everyone has got them relegated and this actually makes me quite happy. His ENgland record is decent for me and he seems to be crafting a strong and youthful side who just might be up to challenging in future years. I don't agree with every call or selection he makes but he's proved me wrong more often than not, and long may that continue.

Archived