Two Directors step down

Mafiabob

If this incoming investment is to keep the club afloat financially, then it is very welcome.

But if it is to restart another vanity project and spending spree, then I fear the worst.

I don’t see any point bringing in new investors and making money available, because history tells us we don’t have the right infrastructure and the right people spending it.

What will be more beneficial is having better strategic planning and getting the right staff in the right areas, rather than being armed with more millions.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I presume that the annual losses are not sustainable for a single wealthy owner to fund.

we hit and exceed the max permissible losses under ffp before we've spent anything on transfers. So a spending spree seems unlikely even with new money available.

its very hard to build a team that can challenge, whilst staying compliant within ffp financial limits. incoming signings have to be suitably offset by out going players. One step forwards and one step backwards. Recruitment needs to be very smart to tip the scales in favour of two steps forward.

12 hours ago, Owd miner said:

The asset strippers are coming mi owds

What assets are there to be stripped? 

11 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

If half of the club is sold (for example) for £100m? Would that not put the club into profit much like the sale of the stadium did? ?

No. It would the entity selling the shares that would show a profit if any was made, not DCFC.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What assets are there to be stripped? 

No. It would the entity selling the shares that would show a profit if any was made, not DCFC.

i meant the TASSET Strippers... they are a lively bunch of girls from north Derbyshire.... they even have live animals in their act...

14 hours ago, GenBr said:

The EFL has its fit and proper persons test though -so I'm sure whoever is coming in here will have been checked thoroughly by the EFL. 

Don't know mate. I've tried Santa Claus and Jesus already and at least they got good stories behind them. I'm afraid EFL is just one disappointment more to that ever growing list of mine. They promise lot but....

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

I presume that the annual losses are not sustainable for a single wealthy owner to fund.

we hit and exceed the max permissible losses under ffp before we've spent anything on transfers. So a spending spree seems unlikely even with new money available.

its very hard to build a team that can challenge, whilst staying compliant within ffp financial limits. incoming signings have to be suitably offset by out going players. One step forwards and one step backwards. Recruitment needs to be very smart to tip the scales in favour of two steps forward.

So true. By having wealthy owners you can, given good management, remain competitive - I.e endure the regular and virtually unavoidable losses of playing Championship football and finish in the top half of the table but can’t buy this league. Which in a sense is good...... but .....there is an unfair and unhealthy advantage granted to parachute clubs. Every year 3 teams come down with a wedge of cash that if managed properly makes FFP irrelevant for them for at least 2 years. If we want more teams given a fair chance then there has to be a meaningful incentive to finish in say the top 6 or premier league wages and  contracts for relegation clubs should be legally structured so relegated clubs have no genuine need of parachute money. 

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Don't know mate. I've tried Santa Claus and Jesus already and at least they got good stories behind them. I'm afraid EFL is just one disappointment more to that ever growing list of mine. They promise lot but....

At this point I assume the check basically consists of - do you have any money? Yes - welcome aboard then. No questions about where the money comes from or their previous track record for asset stripping and even with the money question there are a number of owners who don't actually appear to have enough money to run their clubs, so who knows...

14 hours ago, Josh said:

PSG owners were rumoured to be looking at a championship club.

Paris Saint Ger Rams 

Would be a little concerned what with their human rights record.  I guess we'd be a feeder club like Granada are for Man Cit-eh.  We'd have a pick of their youngsters, and we can send 'em Zoon in return.  Win Win!!

14 hours ago, europia said:

It will be a shame if Mel decides to step aside. Maybe he has made a few minor mistakes on the learning curve, but his positive contributions outweigh all of that. He is a local guy and genuine supporter. Not easily replaced.  

I can't see him going completely - But he's always been pretty open as wanting his role to be an actual Chairman - He's been more involved with running the club than he claims to want since Rush was given the boot - I wouldn't be shocked seeing someone come in with a decent stake in the club, install their own team to run the club and Uncle Mel go back to being a proper chairman/protector of the club

Did the Red Bull rumour start with the Sun? If so we need to make sure its not Coleen and Mrs Vardy stirring it up! ?

People who are frightened of money coming in are also the same people who will deem players not good enough, to replace players with good players most of the time money is needed. If Mel didn't care about which investors were coming in (cowboys) he would of sold at the first offer which he didn't, hes evaluating offers and seeing which are best for DCFC as a whole.

Also, Look where Man City are now with some rich owners? you could counter that and say look at Chelsea and Man U now too but new investment certainly helped Wolves to boss this league.

22 minutes ago, jono said:

So true. By having wealthy owners you can, given good management, remain competitive - I.e endure the regular and virtually unavoidable losses of playing Championship football and finish in the top half of the table but can’t buy this league. Which in a sense is good...... but .....there is an unfair and unhealthy advantage granted to parachute clubs. Every year 3 teams come down with a wedge of cash that if managed properly makes FFP irrelevant for them for at least 2 years. If we want more teams given a fair chance then there has to be a meaningful incentive to finish in say the top 6 or premier league wages and  contracts for relegation clubs should be legally structured so relegated clubs have no genuine need of parachute money. 

Every team starts the season on zero. You can’t get any fairer than that.

I think too much is made of parachute payments personally. They can be an advantage in the right hands, but there are numerous examples of clubs who have failed to make them count. For me, it just generates excuses from clubs who use it to justify a poor league position.

If the club that receives them gets the managerial appointment right, if they get their recruitment policy right, if the general decision making is sound, if the infrastructure at the club is well thought out, then parachute payments are potentially advantageous. 

But time and time again we see that the money alone is not enough and so much can go wrong. You need the right people in the right places making the right decisions.

How advantageous have parachute payments been to Huddersfield, Hull, Cardiff, Stoke, Middlesbrough and Sunderland in recent years? Even Villa spent three years getting out of the Championship, so you do have to wonder whether the impact is overstated.

For some, I feel it’s just a case of having more money to waste.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Every team starts the season on zero. You can’t get any fairer than that.

I think too much is made of parachute payments personally. They can be an advantage in the right hands, but there are numerous examples of clubs who have failed to make them count. For me, it just generates excuses from clubs who use it to justify a poor league position.

If the club that receives them gets the managerial appointment right, if they get their recruitment policy right, if the general decision making is sound, if the infrastructure at the club is well thought out, then parachute payments are potentially advantageous. 

But time and time again we see that the money alone is not enough and so much can go wrong. You need the right people in the right places making the right decisions.

How advantageous have parachute payments been to Huddersfield, Hull, Cardiff, Stoke, Middlesbrough and Sunderland in recent years? Even Villa spent three years getting out of the Championship, so you do have to wonder whether the impact is overstated.

For some, I feel it’s just a case of having more money to waste.

I would agree that they do not work for all clubs, but they are still a massive advantage for any club coming down. I wouldn't trust Derbys recruitment team to spend any parachute payments well at all, but that doesn't mean they aren't an advantage. For example most of our targets were snapped up by Villa (thanks for allowing to dodge all those bullets Villa) when they came down and Newcastle when they came down, because they had far greater spending power. Villas wage bill alone in the playoff final was greater than all the money we've spent on transfers since Nigel Clough. 

Just because certain clubs have piddled them away on the likes of Tony Pulis does not mean that parachute payments are not an advantage. It is usually poor and incompetent leadership of the club as well as other factors that have seen the clubs you mention struggle. Villa, Boro, Sunderland, Stoke, Huddersfield and Hull have all struggled due to decisions made by the club owners. I wouldnt say Cardiff struggled - they only had one year of no parachute payments and then went back up again.

Archived