Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost of Clough

TV Rights

Recommended Posts

Due to piracy, leading TV rights holders are concerned over potential financial ruin. Personally, I don’t think piracy is the biggest problem for the traditional holders of TV Rights (Sky, BT)

The original thought popped into my head when reading this post in the Supporter Charter Question thread:

20 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Pay tv is in decline worldwide, Sky paid less for the Premier League this time round, and with BT showing little interest in buying sports content any more, the EFL may suffer further reductions in fees next time around. 
 

Mel has rightly said that the championship was underpaid in the most recent broadcast contract. How does the EFL build a better business base so that the financial gap with the Premier League does not just get bigger.

The future is online streaming services such as Amazon and Twitter (Netflix ruled it out in the short-term last year). Google, Apple and Facebook are the others expected to step in as some stage. 
In the Premier League, 20 games out of the 200 in total will be shown by Amazon, in a deal which lasts until 2022. 
The Championship, has tied it’s hands solely to Sky until 2024. It’s a dangerous strategy by the EFL which will almost certainly result in the financial gap between the Championship and the Premier League widening further - If Amazon prove successful over the next 3 years, they will certainly take a bigger proportion of the market when the next deal comes around. The EFL will be twiddling their thumbs for 2 years before they can even begin to enter the global online streaming market. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Due to piracy, leading TV rights holders are concerned over potential financial ruin. Personally, I don’t think piracy is the biggest problem for the traditional holders of TV Rights (Sky, BT)

The original thought popped into my head when reading this post in the Supporter Charter Question thread:

The future is online streaming services such as Amazon and Twitter (Netflix ruled it out in the short-term last year). Google, Apple and Facebook are the others expected to step in as some stage. 
In the Premier League, 20 games out of the 200 in total will be shown by Amazon, in a deal which lasts until 2022. 
The Championship, has tied it’s hands solely to Sky until 2024. It’s a dangerous strategy by the EFL which will almost certainly result in the financial gap between the Championship and the Premier League widening further - If Amazon prove successful over the next 3 years, they will certainly take a bigger proportion of the market when the next deal comes around. The EFL will be twiddling their thumbs for 2 years before they can even begin to enter the global online streaming market. 

during which time the parachute payments will also increase dramatically

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Personally, I don’t think piracy is the biggest problem for the traditional holders of TV Rights (Sky, BT)

I'd hazard a bet that the majority of piracy centers around people watching the 3pm kick offs that are broadcast elsewhere in the world as opposed to the TV Picks.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm surprised the likes of Google, Amazon or even Apple haven't made more of a push to at least secure Prem tv rights. Sky has a lot more financial backing now that they are owned by the house of mouse, but its not like the companies named are cash poor. Prem rights would make a lot of money for Youtube or Prime.

Do EFL rights even go out to the market or does the board just make a deal directly with Sky? At the moment we get about £75,000 per game from the tv rights (In reality its less than this since the rights also include Carabao cup and playoff matches). Maybe I just see the EFL as more valuable because my team is in it, but I'm sure we could attract a better deal than that with Leeds, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, West Brom, Stoke, Cardiff, Bristol, Huddersfield and Brum all averaging more than 20k attendance in the Championship this season. Boro also usually have pretty good attendances but it is pretty low this year. Even League 1 has Portsmouth, Sunderland and Ipswich on close to 20k or above. It just seems like the EFLl didn't try particularly hard to get the best deal they could for their clubs (not that I am surprised by this).

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I'm surprised the likes of Google, Amazon or even Apple haven't made more of a push to at least secure Prem tv rights. Sky has a lot more financial backing now that they are owned by the house of mouse, but its not like the companies named are cash poor. Prem rights would make a lot of money for Youtube or Prime.

Do EFL rights even go out to the market or does the board just make a deal directly with Sky? At the moment we get about £75,000 per game from the tv rights (In reality its less than this since the rights also include Carabao cup and playoff matches). Maybe I just see the EFL as more valuable because my team is in it, but I'm sure we could attract a better deal than that with Leeds, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, West Brom, Stoke, Cardiff, Bristol, Huddersfield and Brum all averaging more than 20k attendance in the Championship this season. Boro also usually have pretty good attendances but it is pretty low this year. Even League 1 has Portsmouth, Sunderland and Ipswich on close to 20k or above. It just seems like the EFLl didn't try particularly hard to get the best deal they could for their clubs (not that I am surprised by this).

This has been one of Mel's main annoyances ever since he took charge.  The Championship in particular is one of the top attended leagues in Europe, so why shouldn't companies have to pay top dollar for it's product.  I think a lot of streaming services would be surprised at how many viewers a game like Weds v Leeds or us v the scum up the road gets compared to a Wolves v Brighton.  

It wouldn't surprise me that once Mel sells up, he doesn't end up as the EFL CEO...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

This has been one of Mel's main annoyances ever since he took charge.  The Championship in particular is one of the top attended leagues in Europe, so why shouldn't companies have to pay top dollar for it's product.  I think a lot of streaming services would be surprised at how many viewers a game like Weds v Leeds or us v the scum up the road gets compared to a Wolves v Brighton.  

He has a point (to an extent).

The value to a TV company is not just in the number of viewers... but WHO the viewers are.

I would hazard a guess that matches involving the 'big six' get many more viewers in the high-income 18-35 group than EFL. And that's what sky are actually paying for.  Men in particular in this group are very hard for advertisers to reach and have a high value.

Share this post


Link to post

The whole TV rights model is falling apart. There are so many matches available now we are becoming sated. As my son in-law put it, you can only eat so many donuts before you get sick of them. Why bother watching a pretty meaningless mid table clash,when you can download pretty much anything you want instantly and be entertained that way.

Audiences for BT Champions League are nowhere near expected, Championship games are watched by 10's of thousands not hundreds, certainly not millions.

@GenBr  asked if amazon etc, bid for some packages? Well these are pretty cute guys commercially, I suspect their market research damped their enthusiasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

This bit is not true however. Below is the viewing figures on Sky for August/September of last season. 

image.png.2e2aaa5b15b71ad4dc36c8889c69fb21.png

Thanks for putting me right, I had looked for numbers, obviously not hard enough, was going on some old paper comments.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Thanks for putting me right, I had looked for numbers, obviously not hard enough, was going on some old paper comments.

I'd be interested to see the figures for all TV games that season. Obviously the first game is going to do well as it's the first televised game of the season across all English leagues, but looking at these you can see why Leeds are always picked.

Share this post


Link to post

From LeedsLive in March 2018 these were the average viewer numbers for games involving the following teams in the EFL. Obviously depends on a range of factors, but I don't think there are many surprises there.

Sunderland: 395,500

Leeds: 361,583

Nottingham Forest: 349,000

Middlesbrough: 321,250

Sheffield United: 315,667

Cardiff: 301,714

Derby: 293,800

Bristol City: 293,667

Reading: 289,500

Aston Villa: 286,083

Edited by GenBr

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

From LeedsLive in March 2018 these were the average viewer numbers for games involving the following teams in the EFL. Obviously depends on a range of factors, but I don't think there are many surprises there.

Sunderland: 395,500

Leeds: 361,583

Nottingham Forest: 349,000

Middlesbrough: 321,250

Sheffield United: 315,667

Cardiff: 301,714

Derby: 293,800

Bristol City: 293,667

Reading: 289,500

Aston Villa: 286,083

not sure how they calculate these things though?  wouldn't ramstv damage our figures a touch though

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Spanish said:

not sure how they calculate these things though?  wouldn't ramstv damage our figures a touch though

Those are the figure for SkySports games (so I assume UK viewing figures). This was before the red button midweek deal thing, so most of the time RamsTV would be prevented from showing any games picked for Sky.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Spanish said:

not sure how they calculate these things though?  wouldn't ramstv damage our figures a touch though

They will have the viewing data from BARB who do all the viewing figures. Just a quick glance on the website shows 500k watched Spurs/Liverpool in September 2018. So I don't think any football games get millions in this country. I hazard as many people watch EFL as they do PL with PL getting a just few thousand more.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Those are the figure for SkySports games (so I assume UK viewing figures). This was before the red button midweek deal thing, so most of the time RamsTV would be prevented from showing any games picked for Sky.

apart from our millions of overseas supporters of course.  Pre ramstv I used to jump on a flight to the UK to watch sky .  I understand that spanish viewers  have to fly to Netherlands when there is a clash over tv rights

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.