Belper Town

Srg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Nottm centre lunch time Saturday, good to see the Belper lads on their day out.

They were singing 'We are the Belper' to the tune of Gerry Cinnamons 'Belter'.

If only we'd come up with something as good!

• 3 weeks later...

Done. Its not much but every bit helps hopefully.

10k would be a drop in the ocean (no pun intended) for the likes of Derby and some of their players. I know you can't expect them to donate to every cause but it would be nice for a local club to help out.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:20, Paul71 said:

Done. Its not much but every bit helps hopefully.

10k would be a drop in the ocean (no pun intended) for the likes of Derby and some of their players. I know you can't expect them to donate to every cause but it would be nice for a local club to help out.

And what about all the other flood victims that have been affected ? Shouldn’t they come first if we are looking at the “rich” to donate, given that their houses and life’s have been devastated by this tragedy?

Id be interested to know why the club aren’t covered by insurance and whilst it’s great to see the local community dip in and help the local club, as with every cause it’s bugs me when just because people have money they are expected to donate to these types of things. (I know you didn’t say that and it wasn’t aimed at you, just the broader comments that are often said)

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

And what about all the other flood victims that have been affected ? Shouldn’t they come first if we are looking at the “rich” to donate, given that their houses and life’s have been devastated by this tragedy?

Id be interested to know why the club aren’t covered by insurance and whilst it’s great to see the local community dip in and help the local club, as with every cause it’s bugs me when just because people have money they are expected to donate to these types of things. (I know you didn’t say that and it wasn’t aimed at you, just the broader comments that are often said)

On a flood plain so not sure how that would affect it, insurance wise.

However, this is all about community. It's about a community club which gives back to the local area and provides a hub for local people asking for a little help in their hour of need. This isn't Man City with a begging bowl out, don't forget.

I'm a pretty cold-hearted person in general, but there's not much better than seeing the local chippy provide free chips for local volunteers giving up their Sunday to help with cleaning up.

47 minutes ago, Srg said:

On a flood plain so not sure how that would affect it, insurance wise.

However, this is all about community. It's about a community club which gives back to the local area and provides a hub for local people asking for a little help in their hour of need. This isn't Man City with a begging bowl out, don't forget.

I'm a pretty cold-hearted person in general, but there's not much better than seeing the local chippy provide free chips for local volunteers giving up their Sunday to help with cleaning up.

I get the community bit and have no issue with the begging bowl out, I do wonder about the insurance though. Heard it had been asked a couple of times on FB pages and no response had been posted, but if they were covered then It would be disappointing if they didn’t let the community know this was the case.

There are going to be a lot of locals that aren’t covered by insurance and will struggle to replace what they have been lost and yet I haven’t seen a just giving page for them.

10 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I get the community bit and have no issue with the begging bowl out, I do wonder about the insurance though. Heard it had been asked a couple of times on FB pages and no response had been posted, but if they were covered then It would be disappointing if they didn’t let the community know this was the case.

There are going to be a lot of locals that aren’t covered by insurance and will struggle to replace what they have been lost and yet I haven’t seen a just giving page for them.

I haven't actually seen anything about local housing being flooded. I know they evacuated Babington hospital, but haven't seen much else. Maybe I've missed it if that is the case, although would see odd if I had. The way Belper is, there's not really any houses down there.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

I haven't actually seen anything about local housing being flooded. I know they evacuated Babington hospital, but haven't seen much else. Maybe I've missed it if that is the case, although would see odd if I had. The way Belper is, there's not really any houses down there.

Belper and surrounding areas, many other businesses were affected as well, Rugby clubs, pubs etc....

As I said not got an issue with the community rally call, if they haven’t got insurance it’s devastating, however I don’t get the rich should donate mentality to any charity just because they can afford it.

9 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Belper and surrounding areas, many other businesses were affected as well, Rugby clubs, pubs etc....

As I said not got an issue with the community rally call, if they haven’t got insurance it’s devastating, however I don’t get the rich should donate mentality to any charity just because they can afford it.

I get what you’re saying and is often the case that the people who can least afford it are the first ones there to help. 
It could be that by the time insurance have sent out their assessors and surveyors that 6 months have gone by. Local people just want things back to how they were quickly. It’s not just about the team, the club house provides a home for many clubs and groups. The local slimming group has no meeting place and therefore the leader doesn’t get paid for instance, she’s a single parent supporting 3 young kids. 
Belper Town has many teams, all ages, girls and boys, from tiny tots to adults, they all cost money! 
The rugby and hockey clubs have had hoards of volunteers too. 
if people give to these clubs there’s nothing to say they haven’t also given generously to local families affected too. 
plus there’s many wealthy people who do give a lot, they just don’t publicise it. Mel gives to the local hospital etc. 

4 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I get what you’re saying and is often the case that the people who can least afford it are the first ones there to help. 
It could be that by the time insurance have sent out their assessors and surveyors that 6 months have gone by. Local people just want things back to how they were quickly. It’s not just about the team, the club house provides a home for many clubs and groups. The local slimming group has no meeting place and therefore the leader doesn’t get paid for instance, she’s a single parent supporting 3 young kids. 
Belper Town has many teams, all ages, girls and boys, from tiny tots to adults, they all cost money! 
The rugby and hockey clubs have had hoards of volunteers too. 
if people give to these clubs there’s nothing to say they haven’t also given generously to local families affected too. 
plus there’s many wealthy people who do give a lot, they just don’t publicise it. Mel gives to the local hospital etc. 

Don’t get me wrong it’s a worthwhile cause and I have no problem with sharing the hell out of it to get as much money in as possible.

Same with the local school that was impacted and various other projects that have pages now set up.

My point (very badly made) was as above, I can never get the “oh they are paid a lot” and therefore they should donate comments, not just for this but any charitable organisation. People shouldn’t be judged on what they earn and what they choose to or not to spend it on. 

Archived