As A Derby Fan What Are You Most Bitter About?

Bob The Badger

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Not giving Nigel clough the chance to spend the sort of money we allowed Paul clement/ sam rush to spunk up the wall 

I see the point, but nigel successful signings generally weren't the expensive ones (except for center half, weirdly, he picked out Barker, Keogh and Shaq)

But can you imagine his quest to spend £5-6m on the next Connor sammon instead of Chris Martin fof free?

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Can I add Rory Delap’s throw ins? 

we at Derby NEVER benefited once positively from a Delap long throw, in fact, I seem to recall flidding out at every game cos he couldn’t even find a team mate with a throw, let alone create a problem for the opposition! We could’ve had a team full of 8ft tall basketball players and it would’ve made no difference to how poo his throws were for us.... couple of seasons later, at Stoke, they’re known as a dangerous weapon! 

I don't think I've heard that phrase for well over 30 years, if not longer!  (It was a common phrase for us at school... and I left in '79!) 
I'm not even sure it's "legal" nowadays (I very much doubt it!)... but that didn't stop the smile that hit me full in the face, when I read it!  ;-)

*Can't comment on the spelling... Never even saw it  actually written down in the '70's!  

** The phrase in question is deliberately not highlighted and/or mentioned directly... as I'm a coward!  ;-)

16 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

You forgot Jack Taylor disallowing a perfectly good David Nish goal, How the duck can you be offside when you passed to yourself.

Yep, I hate him as well. 
Thanks for bringing it up. I’m off to rehab again now. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I see the point, but nigel successful signings generally weren't the expensive ones (except for center half, weirdly, he picked out Barker, Keogh and Shaq)

But can you imagine his quest to spend £5-6m on the next Connor sammon instead of Chris Martin fof free?

Was Connor salmon more of a disaster than blackman?

Certainly not even close if u look at it pound for pound 

at times, and I’m being careful with what I say there Cos he was crap, but there were a handful of occasions (thinking boro at home, Watford away) he came on and made a telling positive impact

blackman.......

And salmon seems to be the one he gets hit over a stick with 

We still rely (or were after recent weeks events) on Martin and keogh who signed some god knows how long ago for about a third of what we paid for blackman lol

any how i wont turn this into another Nigel clough dance, as ultimately he was tactically niece as much as I liked him 

Playoff final 93/94 still smarts. My 7 year old self hasn't quite let that one go. Also the fact that we didn't get up with that Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Martin, Hendrick, Russell side. Definitely some of the best football I've watched as a Ram. Deserved more.

And Nigel's sacking. That is still disappointing. And we still haven't been promoted despite all the ambition and money thrown at it...

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Was Connor salmon more of a disaster than blackman?

Certainly not even close if u look at it pound for pound 

And salmon seems to be the one he gets hit over a stick with 

We still rely (or were after recent weeks events) on Martin and keogh who signed some god knows how long ago for about a third of what we paid for blackman lol

I really didn't mind Sammon. He was pretty quick and a very useful weapon at opening up games late on during Mac 1. When Martin used to struggle against the Hanley/ Flint types he was the one who came on and gave them a problem creating space for others.  Shaun Barker rated him highly as a useful option in the squad .

I wasn't picking on Sammon in particular, well OK, I did a bit, but my point was however brilliant NC was at bringing in VFM players on a shoestring, I wouldn't have escalated that in line with money spent, I think nigel could find you a £0.5m player for a free transe or £0.1m,or for £0.5m

I don't think nigel could find a £10m player for £5m.

I've got plenty of respect for what nigel Clough did and the constraints he was under. He was also treated very badly by the club when he was sacked (imo). I did think Sammon was poo though.

However, the post nigel spending ended up in lawsuits between Mel and Rush, so, perhaps we'd have ended up with the players Rush pushed through regardless.

17 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Same era as me.

Re. Number 2 - This still. And probably for the rest of life has me thinking 'What could of been' 

Yep, I honestly thought at the time It didn’t matter as It would be happening every year finishing in the top 4.....

Money correction though, It wasn’t Heysel that stopped us being in Europe It was Liverpool Football Club. 

Two words.  Bobby and Zamora...

If that little bell-tard had done what he did best during most of his career and shanked into row Z, we'd have gone on to win that game in extra time.  I sincerely believe that echoing what his mentor The Bald Eagle did after his promotion, Schteve would've made only a handful of astute signings to compliment the young, hungry players we already had, survived at a canter, and be a solid mid table Prem team, flirting with European qualification & a cup final by now.   That is until his young whipper-snapper of an assistant Paul Simpson is tempted away by Man U, and it all turns to crap... 

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The juventus thing I'm too young to remember but I never want them to win, so there is bitterness there.

The cup semi? Oh well, it could have been and I was really sad but in the end, it was just a lost football match.

The thing that still gets me is Tommy Docherty. Dismantling a great but diminishing side instead of renewing it with 2 or 3 new signings. And then preparing us for Division 2 by getting in a whole lot of dreck.

The eighties I blame on Tommy Docherty. By this I mean not just the state of DCFC but ducking everything. Thatcher, the Falklands war, unemployment, Duran Duran, everything. Tommy ducking Docherty.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HANG ON!!!  WHAT THE HELLS WRONG WITH DURAN DURAN?!?!?!?!?!?

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, I honestly thought at the time It didn’t matter as It would be happening every year finishing in the top 4.....

Money correction though, It wasn’t Heysel that stopped us being in Europe It was Liverpool Football Club

Yeah i know. Either way none of it our fault. Hate that feeling that was our time tho.  Every year its going to further away.

Saying that im good friends with chelsea and city fans and look whats happened to them since. 20 years ago they'd have loved to been in our shoes. 

Suprising what a daft twit with a shitload of money does for your club.

Always the eternal oppimist tho. How i think youve got to be being a Derby fan. Otherwise we'd all supporting 1 of above.

At the minute premiership = dream. Europe = wet dream

On 08/10/2019 at 08:46, David said:

Look at the Lawrence and Bennett situation now, they are all over it whilst they have had 3 players of their own caught drink driving on 3 separate occasions.

Because no cars were wrapped around lampposts somehow their situations were different and the players didn’t deserve to be sacked where ours does and the FA should step in and remove their licence to play! 

As I just said to Scott, think there’s a balance to be had between us and going full on Leeds! 

Think this is about right ?

On 07/10/2019 at 19:55, ivo_knoflicek said:

No bitterness towards Poom, who is a legend. It's more that these things always get done against us - we never do them to other teams. Like the Bury FA Cup Final record, etc..

It amazes me that over 30 years with complete overhauls at the club at every level we are still the team that everybody ends their bad run against and often concedes goals from ex players. Huddlestone stands out. Couldn't buy a goal with us but comes back for Wolves(?) and buries one. 

Mine's a random one, but losing to Boro in the FA Cup Quarter Final in '97 and then seeing them drawn against Chesterfield in the Semi Final.

I was 11 at the time and that was my first genuine taste of disappointment. To this day i'm still annoyed about it. Best chance of seeing us in the FA Cup final by a long way and we blew it

3 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

Mine's a random one, but losing to Boro in the FA Cup Quarter Final in '97 and then seeing them drawn against Chesterfield in the Semi Final.

I was 11 at the time and that was my first genuine taste of disappointment. To this day i'm still annoyed about it. Best chance of seeing us in the FA Cup final by a long way and we blew it

felt the same against Plymouth in 1984........we could have taken Watford in the semi......?

Archived