Charlton Athletic (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

6 hours ago, CharltonFan said:

Charlton fan here in peace!

Just signed up to have a chat with you guys and gauge thoughts on the game.

Looking forward to our old boys Hamer and Bielik back at The Valley. I hear that maybe Bielik will not feature, and it seems like Hamer doesn't get much game-time so may not see them at all! would be nice to thank Bielik for Wembley though.

I watch your vlogger Alex Allen a lot, loved it when you turned over Leeds in the playoffs... a game I'll never forget.

We have beaten some good teams so far this season, but Derby appear to be turning a corner. I personally think the team just isn't what it was last season with your loanees back at parent clubs. And what does Jack Mariott have to do to get a start?! Always rated him and shocked he doesn't get more game time. We're confident of getting something from this one, can see a 2-0 maybe 2-1.

Anyway, I'm probably rambling a bit now. Nice to meet you all, and best of luck for Saturday.... just don't enjoy the game too much ?

Love it when real fans and lovers of the game interact and visit each other’s forums. Great post mate. Looking forward to the contest here. Charlton always have a little corner of my footy heart as I took my nephew to his first football game V Charlton at pride park, 97 or 98 I think. You stuffed us 3-1 but nephew has been a fan of sport and the game ever since. He even ended up working at sky sports for a while. 

Marriott is a conundrum. I think he has fitness issues. There is something groin wise that stops him being full on for a number of games. I don’t think it’s Cocu or choices, I thinks it physical robustness.

we haven’t turned the corner. We are mid turn and it all depends on a depleted squad, the pace at which younger players develop and the capacity of championship players to improve or adapt to a style. If we click I have no doubt there is a cracking team but we haven’t worked out how to glue it together. 

Who are your danger men / game changers / workhorses / local heroes ? 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

?

3 hours ago, CharltonFan said:

Haha the Mel Morris penalty joke really made me chuckle. To be honest, that's the game plan Birmingham came with and they took all 3 points from us.... slow tempo and lumping it up top for the big man.

That's the one mate, clearly I got the wrong end of the stick. I guess Cocu needs all the players he can get at the moment. I'm honestly not taking the piss, but don't you think its mad that you paid £10m for a player who has essentially only had one full season in League One? There's a bit of a joke going around Charlton that we should be due some of that money haha.

Its a lot of money but structured over 5 years i think. From what i have seen he easily has potential to be a bargain at that.

Personally would say the 1.5 million you spent on league 2 player izale maclead, which in todays money could easily translate to 10 million would be considered positively insane if our purchase of Bielik is considered mad.

This will be a good test for us to see how far we have come since Brentford and Leeds.

That said, I am not looking forward to this one at all.

It has all the hallmarks of a game where we match up well on paper, but in reality we concede chance after chance, get run ragged by a hungry and dynamic team, and make the opposition players look a level higher than they actually are. 

Everyone will be pining for Josh Cullen and Conor Gallagher for the next 12 months on the basis of one performance against us.

It’s the Derby way.

14 hours ago, jono said:

Love it when real fans and lovers of the game interact and visit each other’s forums. Great post mate. Looking forward to the contest here. Charlton always have a little corner of my footy heart as I took my nephew to his first football game V Charlton at pride park, 97 or 98 I think. You stuffed us 3-1 but nephew has been a fan of sport and the game ever since. He even ended up working at sky sports for a while. 

Marriott is a conundrum. I think he has fitness issues. There is something groin wise that stops him being full on for a number of games. I don’t think it’s Cocu or choices, I thinks it physical robustness.

we haven’t turned the corner. We are mid turn and it all depends on a depleted squad, the pace at which younger players develop and the capacity of championship players to improve or adapt to a style. If we click I have no doubt there is a cracking team but we haven’t worked out how to glue it together. 

Who are your danger men / game changers / workhorses / local heroes ? 

Cheers mate. Likewise, always good to get opposing teams thoughts/insight on the game.

Mid-turn, but undefeated in 5 games against some tough opposition.. I think you guys can be happy with that.

Dangermen - Lyle Taylor but he's out injured and won't be back until November.. he's been a huge loss for us. We'd have more points on the board with him in the team.

Game changer - Jonny Williams, the guy is a magician.. absolute wizard of a dribbler. 100% guaranteed to win free kicks and draw fouls. He has however just had 2 games for Wales, will likely be on the bench. Replaced by Oztumer who if you didn't know, at 5ft2" is the smallest player in the championship... up against Bielik it would make for quite a humourus midfield battle lol

Workhorse - hands down the biggest workhorse and the best player in our team, Conor Gallagher. 19 years old, he's played every game for us this season. 4 goals, 2 assists. The guy does not stop, proper box-to-box midfielder. Got an England U21 call up this month, just shows how good he has been.

Local heroes - Lee Bowyer. The man, the myth, the legend. Started his career at Charlton, and has single-handily turned this club around from the dark times we've seen over the last few years. Rarely see the guy make a tactical mistake (can only think of one this season, subbing whilst defending a corner against Forest, costs the victory). a real motivator and somebody who if he sticks at it, could become a Charlton icon up with the likes of Curbishley, Mendonca etc.

I think it will be a tight game, hoping we can just edge it... our work rate is second to none and we give it 110% right until the final whistle. Maybe that alone will be enough for us to nick it.

1 hour ago, CharltonFan said:

Cheers mate. Likewise, always good to get opposing teams thoughts/insight on the game.

Mid-turn, but undefeated in 5 games against some tough opposition.. I think you guys can be happy with that.

Dangermen - Lyle Taylor but he's out injured and won't be back until November.. he's been a huge loss for us. We'd have more points on the board with him in the team.

Game changer - Jonny Williams, the guy is a magician.. absolute wizard of a dribbler. 100% guaranteed to win free kicks and draw fouls. He has however just had 2 games for Wales, will likely be on the bench. Replaced by Oztumer who if you didn't know, at 5ft2" is the smallest player in the championship... up against Bielik it would make for quite a humourus midfield battle lol

Workhorse - hands down the biggest workhorse and the best player in our team, Conor Gallagher. 19 years old, he's played every game for us this season. 4 goals, 2 assists. The guy does not stop, proper box-to-box midfielder. Got an England U21 call up this month, just shows how good he has been.

Local heroes - Lee Bowyer. The man, the myth, the legend. Started his career at Charlton, and has single-handily turned this club around from the dark times we've seen over the last few years. Rarely see the guy make a tactical mistake (can only think of one this season, subbing whilst defending a corner against Forest, costs the victory). a real motivator and somebody who if he sticks at it, could become a Charlton icon up with the likes of Curbishley, Mendonca etc.

I think it will be a tight game, hoping we can just edge it... our work rate is second to none and we give it 110% right until the final whistle. Maybe that alone will be enough for us to nick it.

Do keep going to final whistle - we love letting late goals in.... Much to rage of many a Derby fan.

If we show up, decide we're having a good day I think we can, but if throw in less than 100% you'll probably beat us.

40 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Not that I'm aware of, but I'd expect things to come out tomorrow in the prematch stuff.

I hope that their withdrawals from international duties were simply precautions rather than anything serious. Both players are so important to how we play. ?

18 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Lee Bowyer has a touchline ban for the next 3 games including this one.

He had a 3 game touchline ban last season, and we went undefeated during those... winning 2. Hopefully will be the same this time around.

17 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Anyone know where is/are the favoured pubs for away fans at the Valley?

Angerstein is usually the dedicated away fan pub mate, Westcombe Park is the nearest station. About 20min walk to the ground from there.

This is the preview from our forum, thought you guys might like a read!

Charlton Athletic v Derby County
Saturday 19th October 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Stephen Martin

Introduction
Football returns to the Valley this weekend following the latest International Break - A month ago this would be considered as a hindrance, ending our form meaning we’d obtain just five points from the fifteen available - This time round though and it could be a break that'll have been welcomed, our last match against Fulham left us with no Left-Back so its been a chance for tired / injured bodies to rest and recover - This Saturday we welcome Derby County to the Valley, is it time for the Addicks to go on another run of form? - Let’s hope so!!

The Opposition
Name: Derby County | Manager: Philip Cocu
League Position: 13th

The hardest job for any Manager is surely lifting your players after suffering the heartache of losing a Play-Off Final; Only last week the news was released that Jack Ross at Sunderland had been relieved of his duties whilst in the Championship; Derby County continue to try and recover from their own Wembley loss.

Its certainly not been an easy job, for starters it was pretty obvious that Chelsea would come calling for Frank Lampard so the Rams would be forced to spend another summer looking for a new Manager - Coming into the job would be another ex-Legend of the 90s / 00s - Philip Cocu a midfielder by trade would have a career spanning the likes of FC Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven... The fallout though of replacing his Captain (Richard Keogh) to a well-documented injury won’t have aided our opponents this month as they look to turn their stuttering form into something that can actually challenge at the right end of the table.

As both Charlton and Derby have learnt though, if your successful in the loan market then you stand a chance!! - Yet if you can’t quite clinch promotion how do you recover!! - Thankfully its not a lesson the Addicks had to learn last summer; Derby on the other hand have had to deal with Mason Mount, Harry Wilson and Player of the Year: Fikayo Tomori returning to their parent clubs - Of course they've got the high profiled: Wayne Rooney returning to these shores from the MLS in January and whilst he wont play any minutes against Charlton this season, it'll be interesting to see what impact the Striker will bring.

Charlton Team News
As for the Charlton squad itself though; Lee confirmed at the start of the week that its only Chuks Aneke that is likely to miss this game (not including; Lyle Taylor and Lewis Page) – Ben Purrington would limp off against the Swans with a groin strain yet will be back in the heart of Defence this Saturday!!...

Further forward and we may get to see more of the Brighton signings; Beram Kayal and Tamar Hemed have both failed to impress with their lack of minutes, that could hopefully start to change with both now back in contention, although the latter may be forced to wait as another appears to have stolen his place!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Williams
Gallagher
Bonne | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Oshilaja | Field | Kayal | Hemed | Forster-Caskey

Prediction
Once again, we enter a period which will see three games in eight days - Derby County though appear to be a team not like the one from last season, of course they dont have the same players but the loss of Richard Keogh looks set to hit them hard... There should hopefully be no pity from the Charlton players on Saturday, its an opportunity to go for the kill and get all three points!!

@CharltonFan
It's not just Keogh we'll be missing. We only have 4 fit defenders (2 are LBs and the other two are oil tankers). We do have Wisdom and Forsyth returning from long term injuries (RB and LB) but massively lacking match fitness. We have question marks over other defensive options in Bogle and Bielik due to injuries picked up against Luton. Evans being another first team option at CB and is currently injured.
We also have a crisis at DM following injuries to Evans, Huddlestone and now Bielik. It leaves us light in midfield with just Shinnie (who made his league debut against Luton), Dowell (massively out of form and low in confidence), Holmes (only just returned from injury), and Knight (his debut season).

Such a relief to have both Bielik and Bogle available! At least now we can give Charlton a game.

I'm starting to think Championship's physical demands might be too much for Marriott at the moment. Always injured, or if he plays, seems to be knackered after an hour. I guess this  is what pissed Lampard of all the time, he seemed disappointed that Marriott doesn't work harder to fulfill his own potential.

I've seen it happen before with Teemu Pukki. Guy couldn't last more than 60 minutes, was lazy trainer and couldn't score for Celtic. With the right guidance he understood the demands of the game and how much working harder helps him... It's not going too badly for him at the moment.

Archived