Charlton Athletic (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlton fan here in peace!

Just signed up to have a chat with you guys and gauge thoughts on the game.

Looking forward to our old boys Hamer and Bielik back at The Valley. I hear that maybe Bielik will not feature, and it seems like Hamer doesn't get much game-time so may not see them at all! would be nice to thank Bielik for Wembley though.

I watch your vlogger Alex Allen a lot, loved it when you turned over Leeds in the playoffs... a game I'll never forget.

We have beaten some good teams so far this season, but Derby appear to be turning a corner. I personally think the team just isn't what it was last season with your loanees back at parent clubs. And what does Jack Mariott have to do to get a start?! Always rated him and shocked he doesn't get more game time. We're confident of getting something from this one, can see a 2-0 maybe 2-1.

Anyway, I'm probably rambling a bit now. Nice to meet you all, and best of luck for Saturday.... just don't enjoy the game too much ;)

7 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

Looking forward to our old boys Hamer and Bielik back at The Valley. I hear that maybe Bielik will not feature, and it seems like Hamer doesn't get much game-time so may not see them at all! would be nice to thank Bielik for Wembley though.

I watch your vlogger Alex Allen a lot, loved it when you turned over Leeds in the playoffs... a game I'll never forget.

We have beaten some good teams so far this season, but Derby appear to be turning a corner. I personally think the team just isn't what it was last season with your loanees back at parent clubs. And what does Jack Mariott have to do to get a start?! Always rated him and shocked he doesn't get more game time. We're confident of getting something from this one, can see a 2-0 maybe 2-1.

Anyway, I'm probably rambling a bit now. Nice to meet you all, and best of luck for Saturday.... just don't enjoy the game too much ?

Unfortunately I doubt Hamer will play and Bielik is currently injured ....

I can see a 2-2 draw personally, but good luck..

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Unfortunately I doubt Hamer will play and Bielik is currently injured ....

I can see a 2-2 draw personally, but good luck..

Comment on the Charlton Forum saying Bielik has fell out with the head coach.. how much truth is in that, I don't know.

I hear he's been playing CB for you too? He was a nightmare in that position for us, but maybe with the whole Keogh saga.. you guys don't have much choice. Definitely best as a ball playing CDM in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

Comment on the Charlton Forum saying Bielik has fell out with the head coach.. how much truth is in that, I don't know.

I hear he's been playing CB for you too? He was a nightmare in that position for us, but maybe with the whole Keogh saga.. you guys don't have much choice. Definitely best as a ball playing CDM in my opinion.

We've heard nothing about a falling out with Bielik and the manager. He's been a regular most of the season and has picked up an injury in the international break, which is why he may not play. 

I definitely agree he is far better as a cdm though. If him and Shinnie play together again in midfield its like a brick wall in the centre of the pitch. If you have any good wingers you'll be fine though since we can't defend crosses. If you win any set piece at all you will almost certainly score since we are even worse at defending them. 

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We've heard nothing about a falling out with Bielik and the manager. He's been a regular most of the season and has picked up an injury in the international break, which is why he may not play. 

I definitely agree he is far better as a cdm though. If him and Shinnie play together again in midfield its like a brick wall in the centre of the pitch. If you have any good wingers you'll be fine though since we can't defend crosses. If you win any set piece at all you will almost certainly score since we are even worse at defending them. 

Funny enough, we are terrible in the air and are abysmal defending set pieces ourselves.

Could make for an amusing game.

1 hour ago, CharltonFan said:

Anyway, I'm probably rambling a bit now. Nice to meet you all, and best of luck for Saturday.... just don't enjoy the game too much ?

Marriott seems to spend a lot of time out with niggling injuries, such as recent weeks, bug he's the most natural finisher at the club. With service, deadly at this level.

He's not been getting much service this season, but the team, yes, it isn't what it was, but there's also a big shift in style which hasn't come up Roses yet. It might get there, and signs are slowly getting better, but we can be ponderous and negative.

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Marriott seems to spend a lot of time out with niggling injuries, such as recent weeks, bug he's the most natural finisher at the club. With service, deadly at this level.

He's not been getting much service this season, but the team, yes, it isn't what it was, but there's also a big shift in style which hasn't come up Roses yet. It might get there, and signs are slowly getting better, but we can be ponderous and negative.

With Martyn Waghorn as back up, it could be a lot worse though! However, at Charlton we prefer not to speak about his loan spell with us... to say he was terrible would be an understatement.

With our lack of physical presence and inability to defend in the air, I can't help but think he could be really useful for you this weekend.

25 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

With Martyn Waghorn as back up, it could be a lot worse though! However, at Charlton we prefer not to speak about his loan spell with us... to say he was terrible would be an understatement.

With our lack of physical presence and inability to defend in the air, I can't help but think he could be really useful for you this weekend.

Waghorn is a very good player once he has control of the ball. 

It's the 5 touches to get it under control that holds him back. 

We can never get Marriott in the side for long enough. I'm sure he hates working weekends like the rest of us. 

You've no need to fear us. We're very much a team kind of in pre season mode. Our pre season was terrible. Not results as such but the timings of everything. 

Now we look like a side that's trying to iron out the cracks and look rusty. We aren't a bad side but we fall on our own sword quite often. So slow the tempo, let the CB's have the ball, defend as if Martin is a one touch playmaker (look to defend the second ball off him) and we'll invite you in. 

Drop all set pieces on top of Roos. He's not as bad as some of our fans make out but he's a puncher. He doesn't catch. Enough balls on his nose and there's a chance you'll at least feed off the scraps for free

Because like I said, we like to make comical feck ups even when we are playing ok. At both ends though. 

Do penalty homework. We average about 15 per game I think. They aren't even exciting anymore. Mel Morris actually refunds us if our match doesn't include penalties. 

2 hours ago, CharltonFan said:

I think I've seen that comment, if it's the one I believe it is then it actually says:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82875/krystian-bielik-signed-on-loan/p7

cafc_se7

10:35AM

My polish colleague at work seems to think he has had a fall out with the Head Coach and isnt actually injured.

Given he played our last game and has only missed the international ones then I'm pretty sure that comment isn't referring to our 'head coach' who is actually titled manager, as I feel your comment above was trying to imply?

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Waghorn is a very good player once he has control of the ball. 

It's the 5 touches to get it under control that holds him back. 

We can never get Marriott in the side for long enough. I'm sure he hates working weekends like the rest of us. 

You've no need to fear us. We're very much a team kind of in pre season mode. Our pre season was terrible. Not results as such but the timings of everything. 

Now we look like a side that's trying to iron out the cracks and look rusty. We aren't a bad side but we fall on our own sword quite often. So slow the tempo, let the CB's have the ball, defend as if Martin is a one touch playmaker (look to defend the second ball off him) and we'll invite you in. 

Drop all set pieces on top of Roos. He's not as bad as some of our fans make out but he's a puncher. He doesn't catch. Enough balls on his nose and there's a chance you'll at least feed off the scraps for free

Because like I said, we like to make comical feck ups even when we are playing ok. At both ends though. 

Do penalty homework. We average about 15 per game I think. They aren't even exciting anymore. Mel Morris actually refunds us if our match doesn't include penalties. 

Haha the Mel Morris penalty joke really made me chuckle. To be honest, that's the game plan Birmingham came with and they took all 3 points from us.... slow tempo and lumping it up top for the big man.

14 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I think I've seen that comment, if it's the one I believe it is then it actually says:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82875/krystian-bielik-signed-on-loan/p7

Given he played our last game and has only missed the international ones then I'm pretty sure that comment isn't referring to our 'head coach' who is actually titled manager, as I feel your comment above was trying to imply?

That's the one mate, clearly I got the wrong end of the stick. I guess Cocu needs all the players he can get at the moment. I'm honestly not taking the piss, but don't you think its mad that you paid £10m for a player who has essentially only had one full season in League One? There's a bit of a joke going around Charlton that we should be due some of that money haha.

On 13/10/2019 at 08:11, S75 Ram said:

In Cyprus me sen. Bloody hot here too, but loads of cool pints of Keo to go at !!

Will be at Charton on Saturday 

COYR

Ahhh Cyprus. Always got a Keo in them.

Loved my time in Cyprus, I need to go out for a holiday as I am kebab critical.

Archived