Charlton Athletic (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just regained consciousness from half a Cocu interview, just slipped into a coma for a few mins, but what I did hear was a lack of adrenaline a couple of times. Not as ridiculous as it first sounded.

Adrenaline is released through 

Fear. ( losing a game)

stress. ( possibility of losing a game)

Excitement ( playing for Derby)

Adrenaline can’t be bought (legally)

Said after Luton game we were the worst Derby team in 15 years and we are do a thrashing .

5 games unbeaten yes we played rubbish teams. 

The style of football is shocking to watch .

45 years a season ticket holder anyone who tells me this is the way forward and Cocu is future tour having a laugh. 

Get Rid before it's to late. 

Wow, must say I never predicted a score line being as one sided as that. 

you had more of the ball but lacked the cutting edge... don’t recall a lot of clear cut chances for guys. 

at 3-0 maybe even 2, you could see most of the team had practically given up. Tom Lawrence of all people, was by far your best player. Doubling up on that left hand side definitely opened us up a little bit, but like I said nothing clear cut because it seemed like nobody was really on the end of anything being created? 

wont dwell on it too much of course, must be gutting for the travelling fans. glad we saw Bielik back at the valley and got to applaud him when he came off.

anyway, it’s been nice speaking with you all... I’ll definitely be back for our trip to pride park. May even check in every now and then ?

2 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Said after Luton game we were the worst Derby team in 15 years and we are do a thrashing .

5 games unbeaten yes we played rubbish teams. 

The style of football is shocking to watch .

45 years a season ticket holder anyone who tells me this is the way forward and Cocu is future tour having a laugh. 

Get Rid before it's to late. 

Stop making sense. 

26 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not sure why anyone would need to be inspired by the way he looks. The Grande armee followed a grumpy little fat bloke across an entire continent.

Isn't it better to be inspired by ideas?

i didn't say his actual looks. He doesn't exude passion...but whilst your at it they clearly aren't inspired by his ideas either

5 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

you had more of the ball but lacked the cutting edge... don’t recall a lot of clear cut chances for guys. 

at 3-0 maybe even 2, you could see most of the team had practically given up. Tom Lawrence of all people, was by far your best player. Doubling up on that left hand side definitely opened us up a little bit, but like I said nothing clear cut because it seemed like nobody was really on the end of anything being created? 

wont dwell on it too much of course, must be gutting for the travelling fans. glad we saw Bielik back at the valley and got to applaud him when he came off.

anyway, it’s been nice speaking with you all... I’ll definitely be back for our trip to pride park. May even check in every now and then ?

We're seething at present. Hopefully we'll give you a better game in the return fixture. 

But probably not with a number of the current players. Very depressing atm.?

10 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

spot on mate , you were by far the better team today , good luck for the rest of the season , your gamble on Bowyer is certainly paying dividends

8 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

We had 62% possession ffs! Only 2 shots on target but 7 for the opposition. Of course the stat that counts is goals is goals for and against, no contest on that one.

This speaks volumes for the effectiveness of our possession based football. In theory if we have the ball the opposition can’t score, but hey guess what... it seems they can - multiple times.

Rapidly getting very pissed off with this season and I feel that time is fast running out for Cocu. Please prove me wrong Mr C.

Possession football like this is just boring, but so was Rowettball and so was Clement. Maybe we were just spoilt by Mac and a little bit in a few games under Lampard. 

Mac 3 anyone? 

Really looking forward to this game. The international break has bored me to tears so can't wait to see the Derby boys back at it. Think we'll be up for a tough time against Charlton so I'd go with something like

Bogle    Clarke   Davies    Malone

Shinnie       Bielik

Flo...

Oh. We lost. 

54 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'm fairly sure there were some similarly insipid performances under Frank's tenure.

Yeah the biggest game of the season for one - Play off final.  First leg against Leeds, Millwall. Ipswich.  And that was with Mount Wilson and Tomori.  We were still top 6 though.  Maybe this year just getting the post Xmas slump out of the way early.  Cocu has to be given time.  He may prove not to be the answer but its way too early to be pulling the trigger. 

40 minutes ago, CharltonFan said:

Been a pleasure seeing your posts. Objective and interested in sport .. yeah of course we all like to win and have a gloat and a cheer and moments of pure joy but it’s sport, it’s a game and a good one too. See you next time and beware a sleeping giant lurks, the fat lady hasn’t finished singing 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

There were also good ones, name a really good performance under Cocu.

Frank had the benefit of 3 premier league quality players. 

How do you supposed he'd have done without them?

Teams at this level can't cope with having that amount of quality ripped out of them in one off season. They were literally our 3 best players. 

I'm not sure why Cocu is getting crucified.

It's becoming ever clearer that he was the right appointment, but simply at the wrong time. He came into the club at a time of great instability and uncertainty. He came into the club in difficult circumstances, having just five weeks to get his feet under the table and a race against the clock to rebuild the squad, get the players prepared for the new season and adapted to his methods, all in a division he had never managed in before.

He was always going to be up against it. You need players to buy into what you're doing from the off when you are trying to put across your philosophy. Look at the performances, look at the levels of commitment and application. I highly doubt these players will have been rubbing their hands together at the idea of triple sessions or anything that would have helped this process along.

Cocu's basically the fall guy when in reality, this is all down to the club and a culmination of years of poor strategy and decision making at all levels.

Having been strung along for months by Lampard and Chelsea and having a squad that needed to replace four key players merely to stand still, the situation in the summer obviously called for someone experienced in the division (Hughton) or someone with a working knowledge of the club (Wassall) to come in and right the ship.

The people in charge went in a different direction. They took yet another gamble when there were safer and steadier options out there. They went for the glamour appointment, they went for the headline-grabbing appointment, they went for a foreign manager to excite the fans but they also went for a foreign manager with a clear lack of knowledge of English football, something which was always in danger of being exposed.

No-one was clamouring for Cocu because either no-one really thought it was possible or most people thought the situation required something different.

The fact the club couldn't see that and when we look at how they have played a hand in what has followed is evidence of some of the club's deep-rooted problems coming home to roost.

On 14/10/2019 at 14:59, Alpha said:

Waghorn is a very good player once he has control of the ball. 

It's the 5 touches to get it under control that holds him back. 

We can never get Marriott in the side for long enough. I'm sure he hates working weekends like the rest of us. 

You've no need to fear us. We're very much a team kind of in pre season mode. Our pre season was terrible. Not results as such but the timings of everything. 

Now we look like a side that's trying to iron out the cracks and look rusty. We aren't a bad side but we fall on our own sword quite often. So slow the tempo, let the CB's have the ball, defend as if Martin is a one touch playmaker (look to defend the second ball off him) and we'll invite you in. 

Drop all set pieces on top of Roos. He's not as bad as some of our fans make out but he's a puncher. He doesn't catch. Enough balls on his nose and there's a chance you'll at least feed off the scraps for free

Because like I said, we like to make comical feck ups even when we are playing ok. At both ends though. 

Do penalty homework. We average about 15 per game I think. They aren't even exciting anymore. Mel Morris actually refunds us if our match doesn't include penalties. 

No penalty but I knew we'd be hopeless

Archived