how to claim on plumbers liability insurance?

bimmerman

so,have had a plumber out to fit a shower as i couldnt be arsed with the hassle

he sent his son,whos his apprentice,out to fit it

the muppet didnt turn the water off.water therefore rushed everywhere,through the floor and in between the paint and plasterboard in the hallway directly below,now leaving me with sodden plasterboard and about a 6 foot patch with no paint on it,and soaked upstairs floorboards-like sodden

ive known the guy for years and years,has done work for me loads of times and used him as he was my parents plumber when i was a kid.he's said to repair the damage and hell pay for it.

am i better of claiming from his liability insurance?and how would i go about it?

hes shot himself in the foot anyway as hes now lost the new boiler job he was going to be getting 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

the muppet didnt turn the water off.water therefore rushed everywhere,through the floor and in between the paint and plasterboard in the hallway directly below,now leaving me with sodden plasterboard and about a 6 foot patch with no paint on it,and soaked upstairs floorboards-like sodden

ive known the guy for years and years,has done work for me loads of times and used him as he was my parents plumber when i was a kid.he's said to repair the damage and hell pay for it.

am i better of claiming from his liability insurance?and how would i go about it?

hes shot himself in the foot anyway as hes now lost the new boiler job he was going to be getting 

Surely if it was a genuine mistake and he said he'll cover the damage, don't bring insurance into it? Sounds a bit harsh to me.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Surely if it was a genuine mistake and he said he'll cover the damage, don't bring insurance into it? Sounds a bit harsh to me.

harsh, but the damage is pretty severe and it is what its there for?

and i employed him to carry out work of which has caused further damage to the property

Can you even make a claim on someone else's insurance?  Surely that's there for if he needs it?  He's the one who pays the premium.

You send him the bill... or the quote, if you don't trust him, and want it paying up front... and he decides whether he put's his hand in his own pocket, or get's his insurance to pay up.

Of course, you could claim off your own insurance.  They'd get it back through him... or his insurer's, but obviously that would entail you making a claim, so could well affect future premiums, and almost certainly an excess to pay.

Option one seems best... send him the bill/quote!

I could be way off the mark though... it wouldn't be the first time!

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Can you even make a claim on someone else's insurance?  Surely that's there for if he needs it?  He's the one who pays the premium.

You send him the bill... or the quote, if you don't trust him, and want it paying up front... and he decides whether he put's his hand in his own pocket, or get's his insurance to pay up.

Of course, you could claim off your own insurance.  They'd get it back through him... or his insurer's, but obviously that would entail you making a claim, so could well affect future premiums, and almost certainly an excess to pay.

Option one seems best... send him the bill/quote!

I could be way off the mark though... it wouldn't be the first time!

I legit have no idea! I'm pretty sure I'd have to claim through my house insurance then they claim against him, but again I don't know 

I've arranged for a painter and decorator to come and quote it

But in the meantime end up with a disrepaired hallway that the Mrs is vocally very impressed with, so don't think the first option would work as he's known for dragging things out, it's taken 2 months to get him here to fit the thing in the first place! 

7 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I legit have no idea! I'm pretty sure I'd have to claim through my house insurance then they claim against him, but again I don't know 

I've arranged for a painter and decorator to come and quote it

But in the meantime end up with a disrepaired hallway that the Mrs is vocally very impressed with, so don't think the first option would work as he's known for dragging things out, it's taken 2 months to get him here to fit the thing in the first place! 

Far be it from me to come across all condescending, but maybe next time, consider inviting your wife to choose the plumber/decorator/sparky/gardener etc... then when it all goes titzup...

#worksforme

?? 

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

Have you asked him if he would cover the costs to repair the damage, if not that would be my first step before thinking about insurance.

If he refused I would take plenty of photographic evidence, get a few quotes for the work and then make a claim through the courts.

Wouldn’t be claiming on my own insurance and I’m not sure you can claim on his, he would need to do that which he should have already offered really if he can’t afford to cover it out his own pocket.

Its up to him to sort out who bears the cost to put it right - either he claims on his insurance (assuming he's covered for this), or "sucks it up" and pays out of his own pocket, (and gives his lad a belt round the ear 'ole). You should not have to get your insurers involved at all, they'll just increase your premium for the next 10,000 years.

Make sure the decorator doesn't bear a very close resemblance to the plumbers lad as well.

You should have your property restored to as it was before the leak at zero cost to yourself (and be 100% happy with the workmanship of the re-decoration).

57 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Its up to him to sort out who bears the cost to put it right - either he claims on his insurance (assuming he's covered for this), or "sucks it up" and pays out of his own pocket, (and gives his lad a belt round the ear 'ole). You should not have to get your insurers involved at all, they'll just increase your premium for the next 10,000 years.

Make sure the decorator doesn't bear a very close resemblance to the plumbers lad as well.

You should have your property restored to as it was before the leak at zero cost to yourself (and be 100% happy with the workmanship of the re-decoration).

To be fair, he said for me to repair it and give him the bill when I eventually got hold of him

... Which I won't be doing, il be deducting it from what I owe him for the bodge job his lad did

The kid knacked himself, saw how pissed off I was and promptly scarpered! 

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

To be fair, he said for me to repair it and give him the bill when I eventually got hold of him

... Which I won't be doing, il be deducting it from what I owe him for the bodge job his lad did

The kid knacked himself, saw how pissed off I was and promptly scarpered! 

Reminds me of,  'brace yourself Rodney' from fools and horses. 

You don't have to go through the insurance companies.  If you have known him for years, and obviously trust him, settle it between you.  Insurance should be a last resort.  If you claim through your insurance, both parties insurance has the realistic possibility of going up.

Also give him the boiler job, I beat you it will be cheaper than anyone else.  It was an accident, and I expect the vast amount of people have ducked up at some point, especially starting out in the working world for the first time.  Nobody got hurt.

First thing that concerns me is why was the apprentice working by himself. Here an apprentice must be supervised by a licensed tradie at all times (I’m a licensed plumber). If it’s the same there surely he will get it fixed with the minimum of fuss as he could be in a fair bit of trouble.

Why not just get a plasterer to fix the damage, get a decorator to paint it up and then get the money off him? 

My mate is a plumber... with plenty of good experience and made a similar error the other week. Bizarre mistake but poo happens. 

I could understand if he was in hiding but I don't really see why you can't be reasonable? 

He sent the lad to do the work which is how all young labourers and such eventually grow into the role. You let him do the work. 

I know it's not your fault and you shouldn't be happy but jobs go wrong. I imagine the plumber is at least as furious as you. The cost for him will likely be beyond the repair bill

Archived