Ever been a neutral?

Mucker1884

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago, I watched one of the most exciting games I've ever seen at this level - Watford vs Blackpool in 2010. I wasn't expecting much, but Blackpool scored in the 89th and 91st minute to snatch a 3-2 win. It had some really good talent on show: Charlie Adam, Henri Lansbury, Tom Cleverley. 

Went to Bramall lane with another Derby mate to watch them play Port Vale.  Stood in the away end.

It was late 80’s when we were in the old First Division, he said there’s some really good high scoring games in the second division.

0-0

Used to go to quite a few when i first moved to sunny Hants, as I was working about 10 mins walk from the Dell in Southampton and in the early 90's you could still walk up and pay on the gate to stand for a fiver.

Southampton v QPR stands out as QPR had just beaten united 4-1 at their place which completely derailed their season and they looked terrible against Southampton.

Southampton v Villa when Villa had pretensions of grandeur and had people like Garry Parker playing for them.

The Southampton team were a right load of donkeys in those days - pre le-Tissier they had players like an ancient Jimmy Case, Iain "donkey" Dowie, Terry Hurlock and other greats.............?

Quite a lot in my early teenage years for Plymouth Argyle.

When my dad didn't drive up from Cornwall to Derby, I had no way of going so I would get the train to Plymouth with my mates who had season tickets when they were in the Championship or League One.

If you think Derby fans are fickle, you need to sit in one of the Argyle games. I would sit there every week quietly hoping whoever they were playing would win purely for the entertainment of so many people having a meltdown around me.

On 03/10/2019 at 14:13, Mucker1884 said:

Ever been to a game between two sides that you have/had no affinity to?  A proper game, I mean.  Pro's.  League sides?

How did you find it?  Could you muster the excitement you (presumably) feel for a Ram's game?  Any tales to tell?

My own little memory, is of Wolves v Grimsby at our very own BBG.  Presumably very late '70's(?).  It was a deliberate neutral ground, so either a replay or following some misdemeanour or summat(?)  Pretty sure it may have been semi-final?  Almost certainly League Cup, not FA Cup(?)

Me and a few mates opted to get tickets, and opted to go in with the Grimsby fans, partly due to them being the underdogs, partly due to a very mild form of dislike for Wolves... and mainly because I already had a scarf in Grimsby colours!  LOL!

I remember very little in all honesty, except that the atmosphere was actually fantastic.  The night match/floodlights helped, of course.  We were in the Columbo Popside (As opposed to The Vulcan), which was a nice change for me, being an Ossie Ender by trade!  Seem to remember it being respectfully packed.  Of course, the underdogs failed to progress, and we came out with the appropriate miserable faces (I was always a good actor!)

The overwhelming memory was a mate of mine, who had virtually no interest in football fandom (though he did play) taking his first ever visit to The BBG, and due to the fact that he was wearing a black and white scarf (borrowed from me), promptly took a Bruce Lee to the face before we'd reached Douglas Street!  Had a proper shiner for best part of a fortnight!  Being a football fan myself, I'd clearly learned when to run!  He was not impressed... and I don't think he ever returned!

OK... not the most interesting story, but a football related memory nevertheless... so feel free to go one (or two) better, and tell us about the time you attended a match as a neutral.

PS:
And if anyone can fill in the missing details to the aforementioned game... or better still, was there themselves, feel free to shout up!

We've been to several games to check out young loanees and have sometimes sat with fans of the young player's team, sometimes with opposition.  I suppose we're not really neutral in that but I do find it easier to appreciate both sides' football.

We were hoping to go to Oxford next Saturday but with Thorne's injury we have opted for Peterborough versus Lincoln instead. No affinities there either way but Peterborough are top scorers in League so just hoping for some goals.

I can usually enjoy a neutral game of football but as @King Kevin says, I  usually find myself leaning towards one team when play is underway. 

We once went to see Elgin City v Inverness on holiday. Although it was July, it felt like the football season up there! 

Been to many over the years. 

Stamford Bridge, Etihad, City Ground, Meadow Lane, Bramwall Lane, Bolton, Rochdale, Oldham, Villa Park, Craven Cottage and Stadium of Light... At least these. 

Toyed with the idea of a ST somewhere in London.. 

Went to Exeter v Plymouth decades ago when Speedway was cancelled.

Totally weird, didn't know the players and left at half time to find a pub.

Also went to Ice Hockey and American Football in states. They don't really do away fans so atmosphere is strange, although the noise level in the Hockey game was deafening. also saw a unruly side to Yanks fans, cushions and coins on the ice when disagreeing with something. 

Been to a few, Burton for obvious reasons, vip tickets (lol) to see Blackpool play Scunthorpe (I think) at the completely empty millennium stadium for the rubbish leagues cup final, Malaga v Real Madrid. All good experiences but obviously not the same.

plymouth v Exeter is fun, you haven’t heard moaning of the like if the Janners are losing to the Grecians. Always kicks off too. Not much else for them to do!

Most notable was a trip to Elland road, Leeds v Liverpool. I felt proper dirty and made sure I was protected with a layer of Derby under my coat. It was a bit of a date.......I must have really liked her! Although I did nearly kill her at half time with a contaminated chocolate coated raisin. She hadn’t told me about her peanut allergy. And Stella scored the winner, so I didn’t. Bamford. 

Peterborough are rubbish, that Maddison is not impressing me at all.

Shackell still better in air than anything we have in defence but Posh haven't worked out he can only pass to the left back yet! 

Tyler Walker looks most likely to grab a goal. 

I hope it changes round second half as I have Peterborough in my prediction league. 

Everything kicked off second half at Peterborough,  with two fantastic goals, a great save and a sending off. An injury meant we had 9 added minutes that were very tense as they successfully defended their 2-0 lead with only 10 men.

EFL's highest scorers didn't let us down in the end.

Talking of which, 3,000 Lincoln City fans there who never stopped singing even when losing. Good stuff! 

• 1 month later...

A few times. Man Utd at home to Southampton, and Man City and at home to someone i cant remember, both for work, both times hardly anyone from the corporate side out for the second half.

Watched Barcelona and Bilbao at the Camp Nou, that was ok, but still full of tourists just like Old Trafford.

Football is never the same unless you 'want' someone to win. Much easier being a neutral watching on tv.

Archived