If Lawrence and Bennett play......?

oldtimeram

3 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

If we are going to boo footballers for getting drunk and doing silly things then Paul McGrath would now be deaf.

Jim Smith had to send someone to Ireland to find him after one particularly spectacular bender.

He was still Man of the Match, mind you.

Baresi at AC Milan reckoned McGrath was the ultimate centre half at positional play and used to study video tapes of him as did Maldini.  If your that good. drink what you like as long as it's on a bar stool at the Wardwick not in a car .

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Until three weeks ago, most on here wanted Lowe to be offloaded. 

As with Lowe, FloJo, Bradders last season and every other player in the squad I will let the manager decide which ones he wants to keep and which he wants to play

I will let him and the club decide the necessary punishment for them at work and let the courts decide the necessary punishment outside

Plenty of players over the years have done stupider stuff than this and been rehabilitated (Lampard and Morris being prime examples)

That said I'll definitely give Lawrence and Bennett a stern talking to if I ever got chance to meet them

Serious question without judgement - Is there anyone on here saying they'd sack them who before the incident thought they were good? It feels a little like all the 'sack them' opinions are coming from people who already wanted rid of Lawrence anyway

43 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I don't think we will see them in the next two games and then the court case is middle of the month before Charlton away.

If Lawrence gets a prison sentence (I hope he does), the clubs response to that will be very interesting. If you take everyone's views on this - you will have a full spectrum from play them immediately all the way through to sack them. (I sit on the sack them if found guilty)

I think people deserve a second chance to demonstrate that they have the capacity to change. The reason I find the likes of Nile Ranger, Marlon King and Joey Barton so reprehensible is that their behaviour is consistent. At that point they should be sacked and not considered for selection for any club in the football league.

If Lawrence and Bennett come out of this and have genuinely saught to better themselves then they should get a chance. If they continue to act in such a childish, irresponsible way then get them gone because if this sort of incident doesn't trigger you to grow up then nothing will.

49 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

'Assumed' their guilt...if I was their lawyer that would not be my train of thought!

Was the paperwork completed correctly, were they read their rights/advised properly, was the officer up to date with recent testing training, were their drinks spiked, had the equipment been recently tested for accuracy, was the result tainted in any way that could render it debatable....

They haven't come out and admitted their guilt yet have they?

I think Huddlestone's video might have put a spanner in their lawyer's plans!

44 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

they'll be under strict orders to keep schtum until after the court case.

47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm pretty confident that they've probably been told by their lawyers (and possibly the club) to say nothing until after their court cases. Anyone criticising them for their silence probably ought to consider this as a likely scenario.

I agree & that's why I said it won't happen.

I'm confident the club will make the right decision as to what will happen with all involved. From what I've seen and read from various sources (if true) I think either of these 2 in particular will be lucky if they play for us again. Keogh the same due to his age and rehabilitation time.

The way the Club, Mel and Phil fronted up to the situation was the right thing to do and shows what the club is really about. May this experience serve as a galvanising event for the team and the fans.

Important thing for us as fans is to get behind the team and the management team. The green shoots of change and improvement are there to see. With some consistency results will improve. 

Patience this season is key. Keep the faith!

UTR!

4 minutes ago, SIWY said:

I’d be shocked if either of them play tonight. I think the best thing that can happen is for both players to release apologies after their court cases, and then we can move forward from this 

I'd be quite happy for them to play tonight.

The rest of them will be playing tomorrow.?

Not sure whether this is overly self righteous, but I want an apology. It will likely be after the verdict of the trial but unless they acknowledge their mistakes, I don't want them or their decision-making anywhere near the team. 

Their reckless actions could have very easily killed somebody, I want to know they feel true remorse and the humility to recognise, learn from and move on from this incident. 

5 minutes ago, SIWY said:

I’d be shocked if either of them play tonight. I think the best thing that can happen is for both players to release apologies after their court cases, and then we can move forward from this 

I'd be astonished f they played tonight in fact I'll bet you any amount you wish that they don't feature. 

13 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

I'm confident the club will make the right decision as to what will happen with all involved. From what I've seen and read from various sources (if true) I think either of these 2 in particular will be lucky if they play for us again. Keogh the same due to his age and rehabilitation time.

The way the Club, Mel and Phil fronted up to the situation was the right thing to do and shows what the club is really about. May this experience serve as a galvanising event for the team and the fans.

Important thing for us as fans is to get behind the team and the management team. The green shoots of change and improvement are there to see. With some consistency results will improve. 

Patience this season is key. Keep the faith!

UTR!

In the clubs statement they said they were committed to reintegrating all of them. Doesn't necessarily mean they will play for us again and we have to wait until after the legal proceedings are complete, but I don't think it is that unlikely that they may play for us again. (no that I want them to and they definitely shouldn't be starting)

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Really ??? You base this on what exactly ? Don't assume everyone else agrees with you.

Agrees with me? I love Lowe, I think he's got great potential and personally he would be my first choice left back, and that's why it stands out every time I've seen someone write him off as rubbish. Mostly, if you look in his thread on the transfer section, and see the opinions around January time when he went to Aberdeen after Leeds smashed Derby.

My point is the fickle nature of impatient and prematurely judgemental Derby fans now bigging him up, when they probably wrote him off in Summer.

That said, I've written of Josefzoon.

3 hours ago, ramit said:

Just how are you supporting the team when you boo it's players?  It's not done to help the team win a game, so clearly it's not supportive.  Can't have it both ways, you either support the team or you don't and if you don't then admit it, don't get all self righteous about what a good supporter you are and your rights to boo and hurt the club. 

Interesting turn of phrase. 
I’m not being self righteous about ‘how good a supporter I am’. 

I’m making a choice to show my displeasure at who is wearing the shirt at a given time. 

Booing two players who know why you are booing them is different to booing the team.

I would be more than supportive and chant for every other player on the pitch.

I can pick and choose which players gets my support. Ordinarily I wouldn’t boo, but this is not an ordinary situation.  Not at all. 

I wouldn't boo ,I've said my piece over this only from a commercial point of view regarding keeping the players etc .However from an emotional point of view you are going to get opposing ideas .

The fans are quite rightly going to have strong views on letting the club down etc ,etc.The players and management might think they are dicks but they are friends and colleagues.

At the end of the day you can go on about someone may have got killed etc but the fact is they didn't .They have been incredibly stupid and got away with it  thank God.

They will now be dealt with by the law and they will have to suck up whatever comes their way. There are no excuses [even TL over his mum] sure grieve go out with your mates get pissed but get a cab.

As I posted before from a commercial perspective I would cancel Keogh's contract [will not play again] Bennett's  [no value] and sell Lawrence in January.From an emotional view  much more complicated and difficult to see how the club can appease everyone.

Archived