If Lawrence and Bennett play......?

oldtimeram

If Cocu feels they should be a part of the team, I see no reason to go against his decision and get on their backs.

The club is in a really difficult position with this, you can't just expect us to sack them, rip up their contracts and chuck millions down the drain, wouldn't do us any favours with FFP or when they rock up at a rival in a few months as a free agent.

Sell them? Sure, but if we have made it clear they have no future at the club and training with the academy players, it doesn't put us in a great position negotiating a fee does it?

I'm not saying they should be welcomed back with open arms and singing their names, but you have to look at the bigger picture with this and think about what is best for the club, even if you are not happy with them pulling back on a shirt for us be it over the drink driving or their ability.

They will get enough abuse from away fans as it is so don't worry about them thinking this has gone under the radar or forgotten, they will be reminded how stupid they have been every week and in the tunnel when they no longer see the clubs captain stood at the end.

Can't imagine anyone booing if either one stepped up and stuck the winner in the top corner at the City Ground in a few weeks. 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The legal proceedings will run their course and then the club will take the appropriate action, whether that be reintegrate them or sack them. If they are reintegrated then Once back in the team they should get our support, they’ll be getting enough stick from opposition fans, but if they play badly supporters will be quicker to get on their backs.

The club will deal with this in the right way and if that results in them playing for us again, they are part of the team who we all support. That’s my view anyway, i wouldn’t judge those who decide to boo, fans have been hurt by this and they’ve got to earn back the respect of the fans.

1 hour ago, Owd miner said:

If they play mi owd I'll be leaving early .. ya just can't condone what they have done. dheads like us pay for their extravagant lifestyle 

"extravagant lifestyle"? Getting drunk in a pub.

The real wrong was driving a car while under the influence. Very, very wrong.

But, as others have pointed out, a wrong done by others including the heroes of the 70s and 90s, Jody Morris and then, in addition, Rooney has made a few headlines. Did you/will you take a similar stance over them?

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There is no way they can play. 

I do agree. I wasn't saying that they should.

I do also think they should be punished. But I also think they should be supported and, in time, taken back into the fold.

Moreover, I think the club, Mel and Cocu have acted with dignity, calmness and entirely correctly throughout.

I believe the fans deserve an apology, but not before the court case. I know they have been charged but they are still innocent until proven guilty before the courts.  On the other side i hope they manned up and apologized to the club through Phil and Mel first thing Wednesday.

Not sure about your system but here you are charged at either low, medium or high range. Does anyone know what range they were charged at? If the driver of the car that Keogh was in is just over the limit i think it is a bit harsh to vilify the bloke. If he was high range then yes he deserves what is coming to him.

Happy for them to play again although I wouldn’t be fussed if they didn’t. 

I definitely won’t boo them as I don’t think it helps in achieving anything, but I won’t be cheering their names.

I always cringe when people around me boo, I know they’re entitled to do it but I just don’t see how it could possibly help Derby?

3 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

We are better off without them, sell them in January. None of them are important players imo, if they were, it would be different. 

Whether they are any good or not shouldn't make any difference as to how the club deal with the 2 players. Had it been Bennett and for example Bogle, how could anyone justify treating one different to the other?

3 hours ago, David said:

Can't imagine anyone booing if either one stepped up and stuck the winner in the top corner at the City Ground in a few weeks. 

I would still boo. If you score the winner in Nottingham or not, you still risked murdering an innocent person. Therefore, you still deserve the stick, whether you're decent at kicking a ball or not.

The fact that they have behaved in this manner and disgraced and hopefully feel  A shamed of themselves shows their  apparent lack of respect for the club,fellow team mates and fans. They are paid big bucks not just to perform for 90 mins,but to represent  a multi million pound organisation for the benefit of the club ,community and sponsors.I assume their shame ful behaviour reflects their attitude toward not wanting to be the best possible athlete and footballer they can. Already living the dream.No doubt this isnt the first  time they have chosen to take irresponsible behaviour and lack of discipline in being as fit and as good a footballer as they can. I Don't think the likes of professional athletes who are dependant upon personal sponsorship for a livelihood do not commit themselves to a lifestyle ensuring that they are  able to compete at their best. I can only assume when Tom and the likes goes wandering down the wing into no where, or the times he's had a really poo game is because he hasn't applied himself  with correct lifestyle choices be it drink, late night's or what ever. We all know he has talent .we are paying good money supporting these clowns thinking they are fully committed to the success of the club whilst they are having a jolly during the week or whenever and not giving a toss whilst getting paid unrealistic amounts.

I just hope this attitude isn't reflected by other players. Appreciate they are human,relatively young but they chose to be footballers and presumably had a desire to succeed be the best and that can only be achieved with desire,discipline,hard work and profesionalism. If you want to go on the lash i would suggest not being a footballer . Mel and Cocu in a difficult position and will respect their decision ,but I have lost total respect towards these *********  and don't think they deserve any loyalty support from the fans.just glad they didn't kill anyone.

It seems too soon with opinions very strong and especially with Keogh presumably still in a bad way.....but there has been a very unwelcome trend in this country for trial by media or social media at least and innocent until proven guilty seems to have gone by the wayside. If they have been upfront with the club's heirarchy such that they know the facts and the likely way this will play out then they should make the decision and we should trust them to do that I think. However, who from saturday's team or subs deserves to lose their place though? Noone i would say - they all took their chance well. 

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

It seems too soon with opinions very strong and especially with Keogh presumably still in a bad way.....but there has been a very unwelcome trend in this country for trial by media or social media at least and innocent until proven guilty seems to have gone by the wayside. If they have been upfront with the club's heirarchy such that they know the facts and the likely way this will play out then they should make the decision and we should trust them to do that I think. However, who from saturday's team or subs deserves to lose their place though? Noone i would say - they all took their chance well. 

And I detest drink driving and the loutish behaviour allegedly exhibited before anyone suggests otherwise

I would have no issue with them playing for us again. I think what they did was a disgrace to our club showed no respect and zero regard for others safety. But they will be punished for that.. The same as anyone else in this country. Then they will be punished by Derby County for the numerous club rules broken. 

If after that the club feel they are still the right players to pull on the shirt I would respect that decision and support them whenever they stepped out onto the pitch in our colours. 

Wouldn't take away what I personally thought about their earlier behaviour.. But punishments would have been served. 

They have not only embarrassed the club they have put Mel in a terrible financial position. To "sack" them now will cost Mel millions in lost assets and also adversely affect FFP. Even if we decide to sell in January clubs will know our situation and down value the players accordingly. Basically Mel may have no choice but to integrate them back in to protect his asset.

15 hours ago, England Ram said:

I’ll disagree with the booing, but agree that once they have served whatever time the courts and club deem served then I’ll respect that decision, but they have done neither over the course of a week. 

Oh yeh absolutely - But I don't think we'll see them until after the court date - They'll have been told to keep quiet and keep a low profile by their lawyers - I suspect after sentencing the club will get them to do an official apology tour

Archived