If Lawrence and Bennett play......?

oldtimeram

59 minutes ago, GenBr said:

In the clubs statement they said they were committed to reintegrating all of them. Doesn't necessarily mean they will play for us again and we have to wait until after the legal proceedings are complete, but I don't think it is that unlikely that they may play for us again. (no that I want them to and they definitely shouldn't be starting)

Interesting though that the statement was before the video came out. With what happened with Huddlestone, you have to think the club weren't fully aware of all the details. I think that commitment to reintegrate was correct at that point, however the evidence now and what may turn out in court will probably change that stance. 

Of the three, I feel it is Lawrence who needs careful treatment but I would be very surprised if Bennett and Keogh play for us again. 

If by some shocking twist Lawrence and Bennett play tomorrow they will probably wish they hadn't!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, England Ram said:

I can pick and choose which players gets my support. Ordinarily I wouldn’t boo, but this is not an ordinary situation.  Not at all. 

Just a thought - Not sure whether I agree with it or not but:

By booing individuals wearing the shirt aren't you therefore criticising the manager and booing his selection of those players? Also by booing them aren't you expressing your dissatisfaction with the way the club and therefore Mel Morris has dealt with his employees?

I leave the decision on selection to the manager and discipline to the club - I don't feel the need to add my own punishment as well because I think it can be easily misconstrued 

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

By booing individuals wearing the shirt aren't you therefore criticising the manager and booing his selection of those players? Also by booing them aren't you expressing your dissatisfaction with the way the club and therefore Mel Morris has dealt with his employees?

I leave the decision on selection to the manager and discipline to the club - I don't feel the need to add my own punishment as well because I think it can be easily misconstrued 

complete silence would be best, hardly likely though is it?

5 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Do you think they deserve to be booed?

I never boo a player unless he plays for Leeds or Forest, but I would make an exception for these two.

In my opinion they should never pull on a Derby shirt again 

I do worry about the reception Lawrence will get if and when he returns as even before last weeks incident parts of the crowd seemed to jump on his back instantly. ?

38 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You are right, I would be showing my displeasure at them, the manager and the chairman. As I stated before, I can be a supporter of Derby County and not agree blindly with everything they do. In my opinion Those two need to not be anywhere near the first team.  

1 hour ago, England Ram said:

Interesting turn of phrase. 
I’m not being self righteous about ‘how good a supporter I am’. 

I’m making a choice to show my displeasure at who is wearing the shirt at a given time. 

Booing two players who know why you are booing them is different to booing the team.

I would be more than supportive and chant for every other player on the pitch.

I can pick and choose which players gets my support. Ordinarily I wouldn’t boo, but this is not an ordinary situation.  Not at all. 

A team performs as a unit, booing those two players hurts the team.  If it disturbs the players being booed their game will be affected, which in turn affects the whole team's performance.  True, this is not an ordinary situation, the whole club has been badly affected by this shameful episode.  Listen, i understand your anger, i share it to some extent, but i don't feel that during a game is the right time to exhibit it.  No one is demanding that you need to cheer them on.  Don't think this will become an issue though, would be very disappointed in Cocu if those two players appear for the club in the coming game or indeed the next after.

13 minutes ago, England Ram said:

You are right, I would be showing my displeasure at them, the manager and the chairman. As I stated before, I can be a supporter of Derby County and not agree blindly with everything they do. In my opinion Those two need to not be anywhere near the first team.  

Fair enough

Personally I choose other avenues when I wish to display my displeasure - Ranting to friends/other supporters or having a whinge on here (sorry everyone) - And admittedly the occasional disparaging remark or exasperated yell when I feel a player has done something stupid on the pitch - And I rarely agree completely with the managers selection/decisions - But I don't think booing our own players is useful or constructive - Once the manager and club have decided a punishment period is served then I'll respect that decision even if I don't agree with it

I'll always question the decisions of my bosses at work if I disagree with them - But I do it in a polite way (or try to at least) - And would never be rude or disparaging about their decisions in front of clients - That would be my simple analogy I think

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

4: Pack mentality is a sour human characteristic. Take Ched Evens, you had Jessica Ennis Hill and others saying they wouldn't go see Sheffield Utd again if he played for them. Five years later, his conviction quashed and £800k of compensation paid to him by his legal firm, his career is a shadow of what it was, and he is playing at Fleetwood. Well done to all those terrace barristers - seems you didn't know it all after all.

Marlon King had signed for them six months prior to the outrage which is the thing that made me laugh. Not a peep then. 

I’ll be disappointed if they play in the next couple of weeks, I think they need a decent period of reflection. I do think they will be slipped into the squad for an away game to test the waters as it were before starting at PP. 

I would quite like to read a statement from them in their own words but I dare say when we do eventually hear from them it’ll be a pre prepared load of guff from the PR department.

2 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

I’m just going to sing

You should have gone home, you should have gone home, Mason Bennett, you should have gone home. 

Vomit-Vid aside, it seems all was rosy UNTIL he went home...  That's when the trouble started!   ?

When it’s time they will play and I will support them them as DCFC players - my only concern is that they contribute positively on the pitch - Bennett I like a lot and I think he can and will and most of his impacts have come from the bench but Lawrence is already a one five type of performer and I can’t see him getting any better as a player and can we carry a starter who regularly doesn’t perform? 

Personally think this question is firmly in mels hands ,I think it would be ill advised to put the fans and the players concerned in the position playing them now would create ,for me he has to lead from the top on this and take selection choice out of Cocu s hands ,

they should not even be considered for selection until the criminal proceedings have run their course then after that decision s can be made based on the players response and attitude regards moving forward and also what nobody else seems to have considered is the fact that the club will have more info on players past behaviour and attitude that us fans won’t ness be privy to and this should/ will play a part in whether the club are inclined to get rid or keep and that will have a bearing on each player being judged on their own merit rather than a blanket keep or get rid treating all 3 exactly the same 

1 hour ago, ramit said:

A team performs as a unit, booing those two players hurts the team.  If it disturbs the players being booed their game will be affected, which in turn affects the whole team's performance.  True, this is not an ordinary situation, the whole club has been badly affected by this shameful episode.  Listen, i understand your anger, i share it to some extent, but i don't feel that during a game is the right time to exhibit it.  No one is demanding that you need to cheer them on.  Don't think this will become an issue though, would be very disappointed in Cocu if those two players appear for the club in the coming game or indeed the next after.

And I understand you have a different view to it than I. And that is why we have a forum, so we can disagree and debate. 

I also share your sentiment that I don’t think it will become an issue over the next two games. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Fair enough

Personally I choose other avenues when I wish to display my displeasure - Ranting to friends/other supporters or having a whinge on here (sorry everyone) - And admittedly the occasional disparaging remark or exasperated yell when I feel a player has done something stupid on the pitch - And I rarely agree completely with the managers selection/decisions - But I don't think booing our own players is useful or constructive - Once the manager and club have decided a punishment period is served then I'll respect that decision even if I don't agree with it

I'll always question the decisions of my bosses at work if I disagree with them - But I do it in a polite way (or try to at least) - And would never be rude or disparaging about their decisions in front of clients - That would be my simple analogy I think

I’ll disagree with the booing, but agree that once they have served whatever time the courts and club deem served then I’ll respect that decision, but they have done neither over the course of a week. 

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you make it sound like he's contributed nothing to this team. He's spent two years out of position, under numerous managers and in numerous formations, in front of clueless groaning fans, and yes, he's struggled to find consistently GOOD form. But he has the most technical ability in the squad. Bogle and Lowe are both still learning too, and have plenty of time to improve, Marriott is just a livewire finisher, but stats would put him as less consistent than Lawrence! Martin has had more misses in recent years than hits, certainly over the same period of time Lawrence has been here, so I'd like to throw the question back at ya!

Whilst Lawrence can occasionally make things happen, I don’t actually think he’s got that much technical ability. He might appear to with the way he steps up to take free kicks, but he tends to rely on just hitting and hoping. Even the best demonstration of his technical ability (his free kick against Leeds) relied on weak goalkeeping to go in.

I’m not a Lawrence hater; it’s just I don’t think he’s a very technical player. Compare his hit and hopes with Ince’s curling efforts and you’ll surely see that he isn’t a patch on Ince talent wise. I’d argue that Holmes, Bogle, Martin and Paterson are all just as or more ‘talented’ than Lawrence, assuming I understand what you’re getting at with that word. 

I think we should all still consider Lawrence has lost his mam at a very young age.I personally still have my mam and can’t imagine what it would be like to not have her around and the effect it would have on me and how long it would take to get over that sad time.For all we know this could have been a contributing factor in so many ways whether good or bad at the time.I feel sorry for him,he’s made a terrible mistake and luckily no one was killed but we should consider all the facts prior to being critical of him and righting him off as a bad person

He got loads of grief last season from some fans over his lack of quality yet no one knew his personal circumstances were not good.Now knowing what he was going through I can’t believe he played so well for us and in particular Leeds away when he could have asked not to play

He will have my support on and off the pitch

8 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Hope they don't play 

Yes I think that would probably be the best solution. Problem is in the case of Lawrence, he has a transfer value, probably no where near what Derby paid for him, but Mel will surely want to recoup what he can. Rightly so. Bennett  is realistically L1 or L2 material. 

7 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

I'm curious as to whether people would be more accepting of them playing if they come out in public to apologise etc first?.

Not that this is going to happen. I'm just thinking the silence form them is probably making it worse.

You’ve got a point there. It’s is but I suppose it’s how thing work 

Thankfully no one uninvolved was injured which is a huge factor for me when we are playing moral judgment. 

There is the law which appears to have been broken, there appears to have been huge irresponsibility by multiple parties 

taking all that on board somewhere along the line it would be good and right to hear from them, but it isn’t going to happen until the law has run its course. It simply can’t as they will be following legal advice and we can’t reasonably  expect it. 

9 hours ago, England Ram said:

Would I boo them if they played this week....absolutely.  

Would I boo Rooney, no, he wasn’t wearing a Derby shirt and besmirching our name when he did his act. 

Am I less of a supporter for booing....no, and you can sod right off if you think I am.

Being a supporter doesn’t mean I have to blindly agree with every act of the club or players. 

I booed and protested the 3 amigos, was I less of a supporter of the club then...no, actually I felt more of one than those who sat quietly by and did nothing. 

Two players have committed what I view as very serious crimes and AS OF YET have made no recompense or restitution for them. So they are Currently not fit to wear the shirt more than any player we’ve had in recent history. So, if the club play them, I’ll boo. 

If they play mi owd I'll be leaving early .. ya just can't condone what they have done. dheads like us pay for their extravagant lifestyle 

Archived