Throw Ins

Poynton ram

Do we have anyone that can launch the ball into the box? We seem to come up against a number of teams with a long thrower including that lad from Brum yesterday yet we seem to be lacking in that department.

The last Derby player with a long throw I can remember was Rory Delap.

Come on Cocu sort it......?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Holmes does? I know that sort of game isn’t our philosophy strictly, but I don’t see how it hurts to utilise that sort of ability. It’s only the odd moment in a match, hardly defines your style.

Can sometimes catch teams out when they’re not expecting it/ haven’t prepared for it and nick a goal. Gotta be worth a go surely when we get the chance?

Holmes has got a decent long throw on him. Seeing as he doesn't add height in the box, maybe we can use his throws once or twice to we what happens.

Cardiff and brum both had CBs use the long throw, although their game plans made pulis stoke look like Peps barca

On 29/09/2019 at 19:03, Poynton ram said:

Do we have anyone that can launch the ball into the box? We seem to come up against a number of teams with a long thrower including that lad from Brum yesterday yet we seem to be lacking in that department.

he didnt do it for us very much unlike later when he became an expert

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

he didnt do it for us very much unlike later when he became an expert

When Delap signed it was mentioned he was an very good athlete at school, Stimac has stated in the past he was the most natural athlete he played with .- I think he threw Javelin at international standard as a junior.  That might explain the ridiculous length on his throw ins at Stoke.

It would be great to have that option but I think we need to sort ordinary throw ins first. Maybe it’s just my perception but we never seem to make the most of throw ins. Who’s darting around to give the thrower a choice or gain an advantage. We do quite often seem pretty static ? 

19 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Duane Holmes is the answer to that question

Skip to 5:20 of this video to see his long throw-ins in action, can get some range on them to be fair.

Yep, pocket-bulldozer is the answer. He might be tiny but he uses his upper-body muscles darn effectively.

On 29/09/2019 at 18:03, Poynton ram said:

Well we haven’t got anybody to target a long throw to ? And when we had Rory Delap we never used him to do that and most of us were probably amazed when we started watching him for stoke doing it 

4 hours ago, minesahartington said:

Perhaps a player who can take a free kick by putting it in the danger area too. I am fed up with playing it backwards and invariably losing possession rather than get it in the box. Can’t remember the last manager at Derby who encouraged that

Rowett

Archived