What's Your Priority to Strengthen the Side (2)?

Ellafella

What's Your Priority to Strengthen the Side (2)?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. If you had 1 choice (ie 1 position only...not a wish list of several) to strengthen the side in January, what would it be?

• A Goalkeeper
    • Left-sided full-back
    • Right-sided full-back
    • Left-sided centre-half
    • Right-sided centre-half
    • Winger (left or right)
    • Forward player
    • Defensive centre midfielder
    • Attacking midfielder
    • Other....

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 15:29

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/10/2019 at 12:34, rynny said:

How often do teams have 2 left footed cbs? Everyone thinks automatically that the left footer and a right need to play that side. It used to be the same with wingers, that guy is left footed, play him left wing. It's always used to be the same, doesn't mean it always used to be right, look at our best right wingers over the last 5-6 years Ince, Wilson, Russell, Waghorn and Bamford, all left footers. The only one that wasn't recently was Ward and even then he played left wing. 

Some players are less comfortable switching sides and it affects their performance, not going to lie, however I still stand by the fact that there is not much difference between playing either side. Look at Keogh as an example played rcb for us and lcb for ROI, didn't affect his performances. On my own personal experience it is exactly the same playing either side. 

but what standard did you play at?

22 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

look at our best right wingers over the last 5-6 years Ince, Wilson, Russell, Waghorn and Bamford, all left footers.

Can’t remember bamford playing right wing. Ince and Waghorn certainly weren’t right ‘ wingers ‘ . Merely attacking players being played out of position. It makes a difference . I once heard Alan Hinton explain it. Too long a story to type but basically if the winger goes outside then the centre forward is facing goal when the cross comes in. If the winger cuts inside then the centre forward will have his back to goal. I’m happy to be guided by Alan Hinton.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

What difference does that make? 

I  would have thought  pretty important for example far easier to play on your wrong foot the lower level of football you are playing, And as you are saying from your playing experience it doesnt matter,then it would kind of back your theory if you had played at a professional level

I dont think you can just choose 1! We are in, such desperate need of a few we need keeper, cb (hopefully evans can come back and step up in the roll looked steady in pre season) 2 wingers or call up the youth players whittaker and Mitchell-lawson as we dont have any natural strikers 

10 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

I  would have thought  pretty important for example far easier to play on your wrong foot the lower level of football you are playing, And as you are saying from your playing experience it doesnt matter,then it would kind of back your theory if you had played at a professional level

Well, the playing level doesn't matter, in my opinion, as you are playing against players of the same skill set. It doesn't make it any easier playing lower levels, if your standard are playing at lower levels. 

12 hours ago, BondJovi said:

A cb with pace and a wide player.. Those two things would make a massive difference.

That kid, Tomori, at Chelsea looks like he could do a job. Do you think if we wrote to him, he'd come and join us?

He can pass to members of his own team aswell. That's another useful asset.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 15:19, RamNut said:

Can’t remember bamford playing right wing. Ince and Waghorn certainly weren’t right ‘ wingers ‘ . Merely attacking players being played out of position. It makes a difference . I once heard Alan Hinton explain it. Too long a story to type but basically if the winger goes outside then the centre forward is facing goal when the cross comes in. If the winger cuts inside then the centre forward will have his back to goal. I’m happy to be guided by Alan Hinton.

I agree that they aren't/weren't wingers - The traditional winger was there to whip in crosses for the forwards

I'd suggest that the 'outside' two of a front 3 would be considered 'inside forwards' maybe? The job being to pick the ball up wide and power inside with the aim of getting away a killer pass and/or shot - Short game stuff rather than the classic cross

On 01/11/2019 at 17:11, Brummie Steve said:

a good goalie is one who rarely has to make a spectacular save but can be relied on to stop the ball going into his net!

Well roos has stopped the ball going into the net and bailed us out countless times this season. Some of the criticism is unjustified. Yes he is shaky when balls are coming in but you can't say that he has been at fault for goals that we've conceded.

Archived