What's Your Priority to Strengthen the Side (2)?

Ellafella

What's Your Priority to Strengthen the Side (2)?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. If you had 1 choice (ie 1 position only...not a wish list of several) to strengthen the side in January, what would it be?

• A Goalkeeper
    • Left-sided full-back
    • Right-sided full-back
    • Left-sided centre-half
    • Right-sided centre-half
    • Winger (left or right)
    • Forward player
    • Defensive centre midfielder
    • Attacking midfielder
    • Other....

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 15:29

On 03/10/2019 at 09:59, Sexydadbod said:

I’d ideally like to see another:

GK- Roos is better at playing out of the back than Carson but he doesn’t fill me with confidence because he flaps at crosses and causes anxiety in the defence

Rb- Squad right back player so we won’t have to play Lowe out of position if Bogle is injured, I know we have Wisdom but this ‘current’ Wisdom doesn’t suit a team trying to play progressive football

2 CBS- Goes without saying, Davies is our only fit CB who is ours rather than an on loan, and he’s old so we need at least two fresh ones. Someone like Michael hector would be good

2 CMs- Ideally two centre midfielders with bags of energy to complement Bielik long term.

2 wingers- Two starting wingers with bags of quality will be needed if we eventually want to get promoted.

It goes without saying this won’t be able to all be achieved in 1 transfer window but this should be the template for the next 2-3 transfer windows and gradually introduce more u23 players alongside these new signings. In the mean time, get the basic structure and philosophy in place so we save time having to teach them in the future and a make a real push for promotion when these new players arrive. This isn’t a short term fix

Someone as good as Kevin Hector would be even better.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends how far away we are from the top 6 when Rooney arrives, I think a more mobile, younger CB on a permanent deal would be my priority, closely followed by a new keeper.

Midfield wise we look relatively strong to be honest. If we're playing 3 in the middle with two holding and one advanced, then Bielik and Shinnie with Rooney in front could be very strong. We also have Holmes, Knight, Huddlestone who should be fit then etc.

1 hour ago, Sexydadbod said:

RCB- Davies has played there recently but it isn’t his preferred position- he prefers playing as a left centre back- it may not seen important but anyone who has played at centre back even at amateur level will tell you there’s a massive difference between playing at rcb and lcb, because you need to get your body in a completely difficult position and the passing angles are different, which is why you don’t see left footed centre backs playing on the right side.

I have played centre back a lot, and have played both LCB and RCB and there really isn't that much difference.

A priority would be a centre back. Either a young or lower league talent. Play a few games this season with a view to next season being more regular. If Evans and wisdom are seen as regulars then one is enough. With Rooney coming in I don’t think we need anything else as he can play anywhere from dm to striker. Still got anya to come back too. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I have played centre back a lot, and have played both LCB and RCB and there really isn't that much difference.

How come you don’t you see many left footed centre backs in rcb if any at all if there wasn’t much of a difference? Even some right footed examples, John Terry was amongst the best of the best in the world when he played at lcb, when he occasionally played on the right he wasn’t anywhere near as good, Virgil Van Dijk is another one like that. A lesser example is Jake Buxton, for me he played his best stuff when he played on the left hand centre back role. There is a big difference for me. 

8 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

How come you don’t you see many left footed centre backs in rcb if there wasn’t much of a difference? Even some right footed examples, John Terry was amongst the best of the best in the world when he played at lcb, when he occasionally played on the right he wasn’t anywhere near as good, Virgil Van Dijk is another one like that. A lesser example is Jake Buxton, for me he played his best stuff when he played on the left hand centre back role. There is a big difference for me. 

How often do teams have 2 left footed cbs? Everyone thinks automatically that the left footer and a right need to play that side. It used to be the same with wingers, that guy is left footed, play him left wing. It's always used to be the same, doesn't mean it always used to be right, look at our best right wingers over the last 5-6 years Ince, Wilson, Russell, Waghorn and Bamford, all left footers. The only one that wasn't recently was Ward and even then he played left wing. 

Some players are less comfortable switching sides and it affects their performance, not going to lie, however I still stand by the fact that there is not much difference between playing either side. Look at Keogh as an example played rcb for us and lcb for ROI, didn't affect his performances. On my own personal experience it is exactly the same playing either side. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

How often do teams have 2 left footed cbs? Everyone thinks automatically that the left footer and a right need to play that side. It used to be the same with wingers, that guy is left footed, play him left wing. It's always used to be the same, doesn't mean it always used to be right, look at our best right wingers over the last 5-6 years Ince, Wilson, Russell, Waghorn and Bamford, all left footers. The only one that wasn't recently was Ward and even then he played left wing. 

Some players are less comfortable switching sides and it affects their performance, not going to lie, however I still stand by the fact that there is not much difference between playing either side. Look at Keogh as an example played rcb for us and lcb for ROI, didn't affect his performances. On my own personal experience it is exactly the same playing either side. 

There’s a difference in my opinion between wingers cutting in on their favoured foot and centre backs. Centre backs tend to grow up playing in one position so if they switch position, it could throw their game off whereas wingers tend to grow up playing different positions and are hence more adaptable eg if they play centre midfield or forward. Keogh’s different in this debate because he’s played both rcb and lcb regularly - as you said rcb for Derby and lcb for Ireland throughout the years so it doesn’t affect him in contrast to a Curtis Davies who has only played as a lcb the last few years where the switch could affect his game a lot more. To you the difference may not be big if you regularly played both rcb and lcb so you’re comfortable doing either, other centre backs may solely play in one of those positions so if they switch to the other side e.g if there’s injuries or suspensions, it might affect their whole game because they aren’t used to it i.e a John Terry.

You’re right in saying that 2 left footed centre backs rarely play together , but when they do they end up making lots of mistakes. I watched the Barcelona game last season against Villarreal where they conceded 4 and Umitti and Lenglet, two individually brilliant centre backs in their own right , played together and looked all over the place and they kept switching between who played at rcb during the match because neither were comfortable there, so they rotated in game. Psg is another one who lost for the first time at home v reims , the same week they smashed Real Madrid 3-0 , because in the game they lost they played two left footed centre backs due to the other centre backs being unavailable and they didn’t look comfortable. Two right footed centre backs find it easier to play with each other than two left footed centre backs, because there’s not many left footed centre backs around, they would have presumably played lcb only growing up.

I find it an interesting discussion to have @rynny, you can only speak from personal experiences but I personally really struggled when playing at rcb with me being more comfortable with my left foot at passing, I found it a lot easier on the left hand side with passing angles when people closed me down.

15 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I find it an interesting discussion to have @rynny, you can only speak from personal experiences but I personally really struggled when playing at rcb with me being more comfortable with my left foot at passing, I found it a lot easier on the left hand side with passing angles when people closed me down.

Quite possibly. I've played in every position, and find it quite easy to adapt. The last team I played for one week I could be up front, then I'd be DM followed by lcb then rcb, then AM. Some would say it is because I was crap (?) but it was more I could fill in for whoever was missing/still drunk from the night before. 

I'm a strong believer that young players should be put in different positions strikers need to learn CB, it can help them see what movement CBs will struggle with, and vice versa for CBs see what they need to look out for etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s goalkeeper time. Unfortunately Roos has lost all his confidence in the air since the playoff final.
I’ll give him credit, he is a fantastic shot stopper and he is fairly good playing out the back. However throughout the game it was evident that Wigan were targeting him and every cross an in-swinger to make him do come for it. 
Like I say though I won’t forget the saves he made for us yesterday which we match winning in one breath, but with another he could have cost us dearly. Even just after we scored Wigan put a floater ball into our box and I would expect any goalkeeper at this level to come and catch it but he just punched it to the edge of our box which could easily have fallen to one of their players. 

Personally if Vorm is still a free agent I’d take him, I would assume high wages but he’d improve the team. 

6 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

It’s goalkeeper time. Unfortunately Roos has lost all his confidence in the air since the playoff final.
I’ll give him credit, he is a fantastic shot stopper and he is fairly good playing out the back. However throughout the game it was evident that Wigan were targeting him and every cross an in-swinger to make him do come for it. 
Like I say though I won’t forget the saves he made for us yesterday which we match winning in one breath, but with another he could have cost us dearly. Even just after we scored Wigan put a floater ball into our box and I would expect any goalkeeper at this level to come and catch it but he just punched it to the edge of our box which could easily have fallen to one of their players. 

Personally if Vorm is still a free agent I’d take him, I would assume high wages but he’d improve the team. 

Re signed by Tottenham 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I think the switch in formation to a 4231 probably now means another out and out CDM has to be on the list, any more injuries and were stuffed in that area.

I think if we go after another CDM (which I'm not convinced we should) it has to be someone who can actually carry the ball and is comfortable moving between the lines. 

Archived