Never Write A Player Off

DarkFruitsRam7

Today has shown that you should never write a player off.

Despite my respect for him, I completely disagreed with @86 Schmokes & a Pancake opposing the signing of Paterson simply because of his loyalty to a former club. However, at least he wasn’t writing him off on the pitch. Anyone who wrote Paterson off because of a couple of substitute appearances is, quite frankly, a ducking idiot. He was the best player on the pitch today by an absolute mile and I can’t wait to see him on Wednesday. Don’t write him off.

On to Chris Martin. Chris ducking Martin. Coldplay. I confess, I thought he was done. Not physically, but mentally. I’ve seen it with many players, including myself (I used to be pretty decent as a kid but completely lost the skill I once had, mainly due to a loss of confidence on the pitch). Yet, last week and today, he showed that he’s back to fight for his place for good. I’m not saying that he’s going to reach the heights that he once hit, but he’s going about it the right way. Don’t write him off.

Curtis Davies. I doubted whether he’d be able to play at the level he was at in 17/18, but he was good today. He was especially good on the ball, which I thought would be his weak point. Give him a few more games to return to match fitness and we could see the return of the best defender we’ve had in a decade. Don’t write him off.

I’ve just given three examples of players who might have been written off but who proved us wrong today. This is why we can’t write off Bielik, Clarke, Dowell, and even Zoon. Bielik made some stupid decisions today, none more so than the penalty, but I think he’ll come good. There’s no reason to think that the others can’t, especially if we build on this result and start moving up the table.

What a week. From the amazing, emotional ending at Elland Road; to the disappointment of this week’s events; to the fantastic start today; to the frustration of being pegged back and, finally, the elation at the late winner past daddy’s boy.

Football is a crazy game and Derby are a crazy club. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Up the Rams. I’m off for a Dark Fruits.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Today has shown that you should never write a player off.

Despite my respect for him, I completely disagreed with @86 Schmokes & a Pancake opposing the signing of Paterson simply because of his loyalty to a former club. However, at least he wasn’t writing him off on the pitch. Anyone who wrote Paterson off because of a couple of substitute appearances is, quite frankly, a ducking idiot. He was the best player on the pitch today by an absolute mile and I can’t wait to see him on Wednesday. Don’t write him off.

On to Chris Martin. Chris ducking Martin. Coldplay. I confess, I thought he was done. Not physically, but mentally. I’ve seen it with many players, including myself (I used to be pretty decent as a kid but completely lost the skill I once had, mainly due to a loss of confidence on the pitch). Yet, last week and today, he showed that he’s back to fight for his place for good. I’m not saying that he’s going to reach the heights that he once hit, but he’s going about it the right way. Don’t write him off.

Curtis Davies. I doubted whether he’d be able to play at the level he was at in 17/18, but he was good today. He was especially good on the ball, which I thought would be his weak point. Give him a few more games to return to match fitness and we could see the return of the best defender we’ve had in a decade. Don’t write him off.

I’ve just given three examples of players who might have been written off but who proved us wrong today. This is why we can’t write off Bielik, Clarke, Dowell, and even Zoon. Bielik made some stupid decisions today, none more so than the penalty, but I think he’ll come good. There’s no reason to think that the others can’t, especially if we build on this result and start moving up the table.

What a week. From the amazing, emotional ending at Elland Road; to the disappointment of this week’s events; to the fantastic start today; to the frustration of being pegged back and, finally, the elation at the late winner past daddy’s boy.

Football is a crazy game and Derby are a crazy club. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Up the Rams. I’m off for a Dark Fruits.

Leave the car at home please.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think it’s safe to write off Josefzoon. 

What did Martin do for the three years before last week?

Never, ever write people off.

Just like people were stupid to write the team off towards the end of last season. Football is crazy. I realise that and I’m only 19. I don’t understand how seasoned veterans haven’t caught on yet.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just realised I spelt Paterson’s name wrong on numerous occassions. Blame the Dark Fruits.

Should know when to stop. You're dragging this forum through the mud with your reckless typo'ing.

Just now, Ambitious said:

Jozefzoon has shown he can do well at this level before, it’s not like he lacks ability either. He just likes making wrong decisions. 

He was also pretty good today. Especially at winning the ball back.

Shame his touch was poor when he was in and had to stretch for the shot; but I thought he did OK.

47 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just realised I spelt Paterson’s name wrong on numerous occassions. Blame the Dark Fruits.

Did better than the Daily Mail, to be fair:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7515617/Derby-County-3-2-Birmingham-Crisis-hit-Rams-end-torrid-week-victory.html
"Derby County 3-2 Birmingham: Crisis-hit Rams end torrid week with victory as Martin Paterson strikes late winner"

It’s a really weird thing with footballers. Form, confidence, injuries etc can affect a player in more ways than you’d ever imagine. And yet, sometimes their class remains, and they somehow come back suddenly some time later when something just clicks into place. Not all players of course, whatever happened to Torres he never really recovered from. But it can happen.

Ill be the first to say, despite not writing him off totally, I thought Martin was done. Partly down to his total lack of form for years making me think that he was ruined, but also the rumours of his stomach illness. I’ve got digestive system problems, and I tell you right now I couldn’t play 90 minutes of football. Not a chance in hell. I felt desperately sorry for him, but you had to think there was no way back. But, while it’s far too early based on one game to say for certain, it actually looks like he may have made some sort of return from the dead. Unreal really, he certainly deserves a chance now to see if he can make an impact.

You have to remember vydra as well. Terrible in his first season, everyone on here wrote him off. But something just clicked and he showed everyone what he could be. Same with Lowe, we almost sold him in the summer! It just shows you, when a player has talent, you can tend to find a way to get it out somehow. Of course, this whole thing works both ways, and players can just as easily fall off the wagon who’ve been in good form. But it really shows how many things can affect a footballers form.

With that said, I don’t think you can write off any of the players mentioned. All of them look to have some ability in their locker imo. We’re just not getting it out of them at the minute- for reasons like lack of confidence/form, and struggling to settle into a position imo. Now it may be the case that they never make it here- sometimes a change of club is what’s needed. But it’s not impossible any of them could turn it around here in time.

6 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Yes on both count. Paterson and Martin made a big difference today. Martin in the first half (understandable he ran out of steam) and Paterson in the second half. Martin is a starter for me now and Marriott as an impact sub. 

Why can’t they both start? Serious question...?

7 hours ago, JfR said:

Did better than the Daily Mail, to be fair:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7515617/Derby-County-3-2-Birmingham-Crisis-hit-Rams-end-torrid-week-victory.html
"Derby County 3-2 Birmingham: Crisis-hit Rams end torrid week with victory as Martin Paterson strikes late winner"

And apparently Waghorn slid the ball under Kelle Roos to put us 2-0 up ?

I’m a Chris Martin fan, always have been always will be ... he’s my type of player 

hes intelligent, he’s got a fast brain, a lovely touch, great awareness and as we all know can finish 

however he lacks pace.... which in the modern game is huge.

I do totally understand why other managers (namely rowett and Lampard) bombed him out 

If your looking to press a side he is categorically not the player u want doing it

if ur looking to play a slow tempo build up that involves having bodies in the oppositions half (attacking as a team in numbers) and u need someone to play off and unlock that door he is one of the best at this level 

I’d go as far as saying we’ve literally got ourselves a brand new centre forward who will fit this style of football like a glove 

yes they’ll be times where it might not work ... like with the MAC years ... the difference this time round is that we have jack Marriott as an alternative to come on and give us that plan B and not Connor sammon (bless him)

i still crave a Martin - Marriott front two I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be as effective as a Saunders Goddard combo 

im worried as hell about us at the back mind lol

hopefully davies can put his senior arm around bielik and give him some guidance .. the kids got obvious talent just needs it channeling 

Archived