Keogh out for the season

RoyMac5

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

Bennett and Lawrence were both driving separate cars. Keogh in the back of one of them since he can't drive himself.

That's as far as I got. So we do not know who was driving. Makes little difference, it is the result that has made the difference.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

That's as far as I got. So we do not know who was driving. Makes little difference, it is the result that has made the difference.

We know exactly who was driving - its the two guys who have been charged with "driving whilst over the prescribed limit for alcohol". That is Mason Bennett and Tom Lawrence - they aren't taking a trip to court because it will be a fun day out.

What does me is if we decide not to pay him for the rest of the season the PFA will probably step in complaining it's unfair. 

If keogh was to put forward a statement voluntarily taking no pay until fit to play and paying for his own rehabilitation then i may soften my stance 

49 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Why should there be no way back for Keogh if he recovers and proves he’s still good enough?! Just ignore the 300+ games in 7 seasons which is an incredible record.

He has made a serious error of judgement. Who is paying the price?, ultimately him. He has no chance of playing for Ireland in Euro 2020 and he might not make it back to international, and he’s lost his place in this team and the captaincy and can’t play football for a long period of time, something he takes very seriously as proven by his appearance record.

He will take flak for this and deservedly so but let’s not burn him at the stake as well (same with Lawrence and Bennett), most people deserve second chances, only the those guilty of the most heinous crimes and unrepentant don’t.

I agree wholeheartedly with this and for me Keogh is less culpable and has the biggest consequence. Doesn't mean he didn't make a serious error of judgement, but it's worse being a drunk driver than a drunk passenger in most people's books. 

But I am feeling shock, anger, upset and all sorts of things right now and I think I need to reassess it all when more comes out about the circumstances, which it will, probably at Court.

Effing hell.

5 hours ago, Turnstile said:

Overpaid brain dead idiots.

Still catching up with all of this.

the real brain dead idiot is the driver, if they came hurtling down from quarndon.

its that idiot welshman isn't it.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Still catching up with all of this.

the real brain dead idiot is the driver, if they came hurtling down from quarndon.

its that idiot welshman isn't it.

And Englishman

Sympathy is the wrong word, but I do feel very bad for Keogh. He has been an amazing servant to the club, has battled back from many setbacks especially QPR and always put his heart and soul into playing for the club. Much of that has now been ruined after a very stupid and silly decision. His career could well be over now, a very sad way to possibly end his time here. Keogh hardly ever missed a game in 7 years, but it will be tough, even for him to come back from this. The other 2 I don’t give a damn about, especially Bennett after that video. But Keogh contributed massively to this club and this is not the way it should end. 

One (probably last) thing to add from me.

Whilst Sky Sports no doubt  has decent sources, the level of information that they are reporting may suggest that they are not having to dig too hard to get it.

It is also interesting that Cocu has been on Sky Sports and given quite a bit of info - including some hints about the futures of the players involved - I thought.

There is a lack of 'player out with family issues / groin strain' 'internal inquiries limit how much we can say' 'sources close to the club quoted as saying'.

The Sky coverage feels like some pretty clear lines have been drawn by the club and some hints given about the future.

The club is hardly circling the wagons

never a quiet moment

1 minute ago, DCFC Ram said:

It is also interesting that Cocu has been on Sky Sports and given quite a bit of info - including some hints about the futures of the players involved - I thought.

Not that interesting. Was just from the pre match press conference with journalists and media. Wasn’t especially for Sky.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/09/watch-phillip-cocus-press-conference-ahead-of-birmingham-city-clash

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Why should there be no way back for Keogh if he recovers and proves he’s still good enough?! Just ignore the 300+ games in 7 seasons which is an incredible record.

He has made a serious error of judgement. Who is paying the price?, ultimately him. He has no chance of playing for Ireland in Euro 2020 and he might not make it back to international, and he’s lost his place in this team and the captaincy and can’t play football for a long period of time, something he takes very seriously as proven by his appearance record.

He will take flak for this and deservedly so but let’s not burn him at the stake as well (same with Lawrence and Bennett), most people deserve second chances, only the those guilty of the most heinous crimes and unrepentant don’t.

This.

The two who have been caught for drink driving should go through the due criminal justice process and receive club discipline too. Other players found to have behaved badly, fines and slaps on wrist. Keogh should know better and is being punished by more than just the club discipline.

There's no excuses, they all deserve everything that they get as proportionate to the law and the club's disciplinary policy. Once that's decided and completed, justice will have been served and if they're still at the club they should have the opportunity to prove their worth. 

6 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

They ducked up and will no doubt pay the consequences.  Don't really understand why people feel so personally aggrieved by it though.  Can hardly make the team play any worse.  Season is already a write-off in my opinion.  Do feel sorry for Cocu though. Probably a million miles away from what he expected. 

Season a write off? How? We have loads of matches to play. Hope the players don’t have this attitude !

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just want to let people know, Keogh's nan passed away on Thursday. Clearly, that doesn't explain his actions on Tuesday, but he's clearly going to be in a very dark place at the minute.

If she was poorly, it may be a reason why he needed a drink. Lawrence lost his mother too and that's difficult to get over.

Many of us need an escape from our troubles.

Many choose drink and, as in this case, that can and often does compound the problems.

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

If she was poorly, it may be a reason why he needed a drink. Lawrence lost his mother too and that's difficult to get over.

Many of us need an escape from our troubles.

Many choose drink and, as in this case, that can and often does compound the problems.

It shouldn't even be discussed. 

Ive lost people,  i haven't put others at risk as a result of.

The fact its even being discussed is like people are trying to excuse or justify what he did. 

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It shouldn't even be discussed. 

Ive lost people,  i haven't put others at risk as a result of.

The fact its even being discussed is like people are trying to excuse or justify what he did. 

Far from justifying it. It was outrageous and is totally indefensible.

However, this is 2019. There is more appreciation and understanding of the issues around mental health.

They have let a lot of people down. Keogh was seriously injured but it could have been far, far worse. Heck, somebody could have been killed.

But it doesn't mean that we should adopt an archaic "lock them up and throw away the key attitude".

They should be disciplined but they should also receive support if they need it.

Archived