Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if posted yet but this seems to give a pretty comprehensive report of what happened

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-50041085

Marianne Connally, prosecuting, said the players were driving home at about 23:30 BST after a night out at the Joiner's Arms pub.

Lawrence's car smashed into the back of Bennett's, before continuing across a roundabout and hitting "street furniture", she added.

Ms Connally said a paramedic crew witnessed the crash "entirely by chance" and came to the aid of two passengers at the scene as the defendants fled.

Lawrence and Bennett, 23, returned to the scene about 45 minutes later and were arrested.

Derby captain Richard Keogh, who was a passenger in one of the cars, sustained a knee injury that has ruled him out for up to 15 months.

The court heard Welsh international Lawrence, 25, gave a breath test reading of 58mcg per 100ml and Bennett a reading of 64. The legal limit is 35mcg per 100ml.

Lucy Whitaker, defending Bennett, said he had been sick at the pub after being "pressured" to drink a Jagerbomb shot by team-mates.

He admitted he had drunk "some alcohol", but was driving "perfectly normally" when the crash occurred, Ms Whitaker said.

Bennett "panicked" and then left the scene, before returning after he received a call from Lawrence, the court heard.

8 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

Pringles Are Biscuits And Not Crisps!

https://www.ladbible.com/more/food-lets-clear-this-up-pringles-are-biscuits-and-not-crisps-20161027

We can then move onto the Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits discussion. They are cakes as they go hard and dry when stale, the opposite of what a biscuit does. I also keep them in the fridge.... ?

JESUS H FUNKIN CHRIST ON A RALEIGH GRIFTER!!!  HOW TO FUNKIN HELL IS A PRINGLE A BISCUIT??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!???!?!??!?!?!??!?!????!?!!!?!?!?!?

angry liam neeson GIF

58 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Did you feel the same way about Jody Morris? Cos he got caught drunk driving at 27 - Going the wrong way up a one-way street at double the drink drive limit - Definitely as dangerous as what these clowns have done

Yes but he did that over a decade ago while not employed by us. No issue with people who’ve done it in the past and learnt their lesson being employed, but not those who do it under our employment.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Yes but he did that over a decade ago while not employed by us. No issue with people who’ve done it in the past and learnt their lesson being employed, but not those who do it under our employment.

That's double standards - How do they prove they've learnt their lesson unless you give them time to do so?

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

That's double standards - How do they prove they've learnt their lesson unless you give them time to do so?

Yeah, Come on Mel ,,,,,, tell us

44 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You have to wonder what they will have genuinely learnt from all of this.

The judge said it himself - many people would have been sacked ordinarily. The fact that they still have their livelihoods and that they are still able to do what they live, breathe and love is the biggest takeaway here.

They can still do the job they love, they can still earn the kind of money and live the kind of lifestyle that would make these punishments very bearable, in my mind.

A driving ban for two years will just mean they will have to rely on a taxi service, a friend, partner or relative to drive them from A-Z. This can be easily worked around.

260 hours of community service in total is the equivalent of five hours a week spread over a year. It is an inconvenience, but much more preferable to even a second spent in prison. In real terms, it’s five hours a week they would be otherwise spending playing Crash Bandicoot and watching Sky Atlantic box sets.

The six weeks’ wages is a huge sum of money and quite the hit. But I doubt the club would have handed out the fine in a way that would endanger them financially and leave the two of them queuing up at the food banks. They will still be very comfortable.

I am sure the courts have considered all legal protocols and precedents, but to me, you have to wonder if footballers are really getting the message.

Lawrence and Bennett aren’t the first footballers to do this and sadly I suspect they won’t be the last.

Their line of work should be, and luckily was, completely irrelevant to the court.

19 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Not sure if posted yet but this seems to give a pretty comprehensive report of what happened

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-50041085

Marianne Connally, prosecuting, said the players were driving home at about 23:30 BST after a night out at the Joiner's Arms pub.

Lawrence's car smashed into the back of Bennett's, before continuing across a roundabout and hitting "street furniture", she added.

Ms Connally said a paramedic crew witnessed the crash "entirely by chance" and came to the aid of two passengers at the scene as the defendants fled.

Lawrence and Bennett, 23, returned to the scene about 45 minutes later and were arrested.

Derby captain Richard Keogh, who was a passenger in one of the cars, sustained a knee injury that has ruled him out for up to 15 months.

The court heard Welsh international Lawrence, 25, gave a breath test reading of 58mcg per 100ml and Bennett a reading of 64. The legal limit is 35mcg per 100ml.

Lucy Whitaker, defending Bennett, said he had been sick at the pub after being "pressured" to drink a Jagerbomb shot by team-mates.

He admitted he had drunk "some alcohol", but was driving "perfectly normally" when the crash occurred, Ms Whitaker said.

Bennett "panicked" and then left the scene, before returning after he received a call from Lawrence, the court heard.

Roundabout? I thought it happened at the A6 junction with Burley Lane, isn't that a T junction, has that been changed?

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

So endangering lives is forgivable as long as they don’t endanger your football clubs reputation? Gotcha.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

To me that doesn't seem that much at all, especially it would've been over a few hours. Hmmmm.. 

The drink-drive limit is, in real terms, very low. Twice the limit isn't "you can't stand up straight" level of drunkenness. The levels are based on research regarding reaction time. 

To you or me, hanging out having a chat, we'd probably say we're not drunk. Maybe you open a door and it hits your foot. That sorta level.

But reaction time lowers enough that being in a car is dangerous. Things like driving into the back of the car you're following happen quite easily.

Lucky boys in my opinion.

That said I am pleased they have avoided a custodial sentence as I am not sure that it would have been of benefit to anyone. I do still think Derby should have left them sidelined until after today.

I hope everyone can get behind them, despite my disappointment in the whole situation including being included in the team so soon after I would never Boo them as many did. Lets hope there is not a chorus of boos at the next matches.

Can I repeat my concern that people are making presumptions that people have had a different amount of alcohol than was stated in court.

I am pretty sure that would be libellous and will end up with points being issued in future.

You have been warned.

Aren’t we lucky to have so many slick legal experts, experienced medical practitioners, alcohol weights and measures aficionados, insurance accident investigators, assorted Marple, Poirot and Sherlock Holmes types plus scrap metal merchants on this thread!

.......................................................................think it’s time to move on.

1 minute ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Aren’t we lucky to have so many slick legal experts, experienced medical practitioners, alcohol weights and measures aficionados, insurance accident investigators, assorted Marple, Poirot and Sherlock Holmes types plus scrap metal merchants on this thread!

Wait until you discover the FFP experts!

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Can I repeat my concern that people are making presumptions that people have had a different amount of alcohol than was stated in court.

I am pretty sure that would be libellous and will end up with points being issued in future.

You have been warned.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Myself and one other person stated what online BAC calculators estimate a BrAC reading of 60 mcg/ml to be equivalent to drinking. Absolutely nothing libellous in stating what we did.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Myself and one other person stated what online BAC calculators estimate a BrAC reading of 60 mcg/ml to be equivalent to drinking. Absolutely nothing libellous in stating what we did.

The conversation started by asking what 58 and 64 micrograms equates to in volumes consumed. 

As has been mentioned I am not a legal expert so firmly will request that we don't go down that route. 

Archived