alexxxxx

Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

Message added by David

38 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Sky really are thick aren't they?

Edit: They've clearly got the memo and changed the picture. The initial picture attached to the article showed a picture of  Marriott, again.

For those who didn’t see the image...

C873D5FD-7123-461A-B89B-800243CD9CDA.jpeg

39 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Sky really are thick aren't they?

Edit: They've clearly got the memo and changed the picture. The initial picture attached to the article showed a picture of  Marriott, again.

Think it was because the photo rights holders (Getty) had mislabelled it as Marriott on their catalog. Saw it on another site a week ago with the caption Lawrence. 

Given the aggravating factors they were probably lucky to get away without getting a short custodial.

They are clearly not the sharpest tools in the box, but its done and it’s time to draw a line under it and let Cocu manage their involvement.

Clearly Lawrence needs to be helped, given what’s come out of this, hopefully he’s working with the club to get the professional help he needs!

A punishment that fits the crime. Nothing more nothing less. They were never going to be sent to prison. Just used as a threat more than anything. Community Service I imagine will be going round schools and youth projects. Can’t see them decorating OAP’s homes or weeding allotments. I had to do some community service, 15 years ago, and a Chesterfield player was there on the first day, he got let off likely, running football coaching sessions at local schools and visiting youth clubs. To my knowledge he carried on doing it once his time had been served and continued giving back to the community. 

57 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Makes me wonder how nobody could see Lawrence was struggling with his mam passing away and turning to drink. Literally nobody at the club could see it? He’s looked a lost soul  out there most Saturdays.

He hasn’t been right since he joined TBH, his form, his body language etc. He needs professional counselling, not throwing back in the first team to be booed 

Makes you wonder why/how he is back in the team if he is becoming dependant on alcohol. I know freezing him out could have an adverse affect on him mentally but he needs to seek help before he steps back on the pitch.

You have to wonder what they will have genuinely learnt from all of this.

The judge said it himself - many people would have been sacked ordinarily. The fact that they still have their livelihoods and that they are still able to do what they live, breathe and love is the biggest takeaway here.

They can still do the job they love, they can still earn the kind of money and live the kind of lifestyle that would make these punishments very bearable, in my mind.

A driving ban for two years will just mean they will have to rely on a taxi service, a friend, partner or relative to drive them from A-Z. This can be easily worked around.

260 hours of community service in total is the equivalent of five hours a week spread over a year. It is an inconvenience, but much more preferable to even a second spent in prison. In real terms, it’s five hours a week they would be otherwise spending playing Crash Bandicoot and watching Sky Atlantic box sets.

The six weeks’ wages is a huge sum of money and quite the hit. But I doubt the club would have handed out the fine in a way that would endanger them financially and leave the two of them queuing up at the food banks. They will still be very comfortable.

I am sure the courts have considered all legal protocols and precedents, but to me, you have to wonder if footballers are really getting the message.

Lawrence and Bennett aren’t the first footballers to do this and sadly I suspect they won’t be the last.

1 minute ago, superzak said:

Tom should be good at dog muck collecting, going up blind alleys with his head down he wont miss one turd..lol 

Does the 90 minutes on a Saturday count as community service ? 

44 minutes ago, CumbriaRam said:

Lucy Whitaker, representing Bennett, Bennett 'planned to get a taxi'

Ms Whitaker said he had planned to get a taxi with a team mate and when the time came to go, his team mate was talking to the “others”.

She said: “He made the poor decision to get in his vehicle and drive home. He lives three miles away.”

"Mason Bennett, 23, of Whaley Thorns, near Mansfield"

Further evidence Bennett is the not the sharpest tool in the box, if he thinks Mansfield is 3 miles from Quarndon.... 😎

I wonder if he has one of those serviced appartments in Allestree. Lots of Derby players and managers lived there over the years. My mother used to run it.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Now here's another contentious one. I once heard someone claim that Pringles aren't crisps.

Discuss.

Pringles Are Biscuits And Not Crisps!

https://www.ladbible.com/more/food-lets-clear-this-up-pringles-are-biscuits-and-not-crisps-20161027

We can then move onto the Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits discussion. They are cakes as they go hard and dry when stale, the opposite of what a biscuit does. I also keep them in the fridge.... 😋

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Makes you wonder why/how he is back in the team if he is becoming dependant on alcohol. I know freezing him out could have an adverse affect on him mentally but he needs to seek help before he steps back on the pitch.

Controversial I know, and I'm not suggesting for one moment that losing a parent (especially at such a young age) isn't a terrible thing to cope with (I can't even imagine what he and his family have been through) but, do we know that he's actually becoming dependent on alcohol (I might well have missed an important story) or, on this occasion, was he just out on the lash with a bunch of lads?

Tin hat firmly in place.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Less than 5% of drink drivers go to prison.

I didn't say they specifically should have been sent to prison did i ? I said i thought they had got off light and hoped others at the club might use it as an example of what could happen.

4 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

Pringles Are Biscuits And Not Crisps!

https://www.ladbible.com/more/food-lets-clear-this-up-pringles-are-biscuits-and-not-crisps-20161027

We can then move onto the Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits discussion. They are cakes as they go hard and dry when stale, the opposite of what a biscuit does. I also keep them in the fridge.... 😋

Fridge!!!!

weirdo

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Controversial I know, and I'm not suggesting for one moment that losing a parent (especially at such a young age) isn't a terrible thing to cope with (I can't even imagine what he and his family have been through) but, do we know that he's actually becoming dependent on alcohol (I might well have missed an important story) or, on this occasion, was he just out on the lash with a bunch of lads?

Tin hat firmly in place.

it was what was said in court, alcohol dependent or similar