Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Aside from the obviously despicable and dangerous behaviour, have to question their commitment to the club. You’d think they’d be working harder to help ensure a win on Saturday. Wonder if this attitude is indicative of the entire squad right now?

Both of them are ducking tools. Got the dream job of many young kids, and this is how they act when their teams severely struggling for form. Utterly shameful, get rid of them and get people in who give more of a duck. 

Said at that brentford match a few players didn’t look fired up enough. Didn’t look like it mattered to them enough

4 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Not sure as a club we can afford to punish them to the fullest extent, in that we’ll be so light out wide (if it’s possible to be lighter). I think we’ll see a club statement, hefty fine, community work and a video/press conference apology from both. 

Why not they've both done duck all recently.

Lets wait for the facts to come in before we crucify them, but they were certainly stupid and reckless drinking and driving

i know it's a cultural thing in England but drinking has very adverse physical effects on people, takes days to get over it, i hope drinking on a regular basis is not the norm with our players.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

The relevance is the level of hysteria being metered out due to what boils down to a prang.  If they'd caused harm to others, then yes, clap 'em in irons and tare up their contracts.  But the fact it's these two, who're, lets be fair, polorising characters everyone's going ape-dodo...  If it were Marriott or Holmes, they're wouldn't anywhere near this amount.

I’ve have personal experience of seeing the consequences of this kind of drink-driving up close and calling this ‘a prang’ is crass in the extreme.  It is absolutely unforgivable that two young men with the means more than most to get themselves home after a drink have seen fit to drive two high powered vehicles at speed along a public road whilst drunk. They are both an absolute disgrace and should have their contracts terminated - I don’t want morons like them representing my club.

22 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Does anyone know any facts regards the crash & drink driving? For all we know they could have slightly blown over the drink limit, could be half a pint over the limit. If they are 3 or 4 times then fair enough thats beyond ridiculous but until facts are out there how can people be calling for them to be sacked

As someone has said the weather etc was poor so the crash could be weather related not drink related. Ive seen that a large group of the players were out for a meal so could easily be half a drink over the limit, easy to do at a meal.

Maybe lets just wait for facts before calling for their heads.

The report in telegraph says ‘tweet from the Derbyshire Roads Policing unit said: "A6 Allestree. Two vehicle RTC. Both drivers drunk. Both drivers arrested. #Fatal4#DontDrinkDrive ."

To be over the limit realistically it’s 2 pints for them.  That would not be drunk stages. There is some damage done to that car, it’s not a small scratch.

39 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m not going to defend them but it’s very difficult to say what caused it unless you know how much they were over the limit, what speed the police believe they were going and we’ve seen Bennett’s and Lawrence’s statements. We won’t know that info until the court case. Fully get it’s a fairly straight forward piece of road, but that also suggests they had to break quickly for some reason (again, that’s not a defence!)

—————

FWIW, I think we should punish them but also take them out of the first team and make sure both get the help needed to get them on the right track. Both should see this as ‘last chance saloon’ and hopefully give them the kick up the arse they both need in their careers. 

Oh yeah I’m not saying we can judge the case ourselves? Just saying that my guess would be it’s gotta be a way over the limit, or speeding- which isn’t great either. We’ll find out the truth of course at the court hearing. Obviously we shouldn’t make a judgement on their futures before then- but we should suspend them without pay until that point. Then we’ll make an informed decision after the hearing- and if it’s as bad as feared, I’d fire them both

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

The relevance is the level of hysteria being metered out due to what boils down to a prang.  If they'd caused harm to others, then yes, clap 'em in irons and tare up their contracts.  But the fact it's these two, who're, lets be fair, polorising characters everyone's going ape-dodo...  If it were Marriott or Holmes, they're wouldn't anywhere near this amount.

Zero tolerance. Its pure luck that these numbnuts didn't kill anyone. If you have had anything to drink you shouldn't be going anywhere near a car. I know the alcoholics of thew world think its alright to have one or two and then get behind the wheel, but I completely disagree with this stupidity. You drink any amount of alcohol and you get a taxi - end of discussion.

It has nothing to do with which players it is - anyone who makes such a selfish decision that could end up hurting or killing someone will get rightfully pilloried by the entire fanbase. No idea why you think this reaction to drink driving is too much. Its alright lads you didn't kill someone this time, so all completely fine.

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s my guess to how far over you’d have to be to crash that badly on that road. But yes I agree, I suspect it’s a case of drunk a driving and serious speeding. Which isn’t exactly any better 

I've been told that Lawrence actually hit Bennetts car at the junction, sending his car into the trees, before accidentally hitting his accelerator and wrapping his car around the lamppost. 

Dont be surprised if more comes out if this story either.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Dean Saunders has been jailed (albeit out on appeal), so I think the club should suspend them both without pay until their trial is over and see what punishment is handed out.

If there is any sort of custodial sentence i would think that is enough to sack them then sue them for damages.

Saunders was jailed for failing to give a breathalyser on top of being drunk whilst driving 

They'll go to court, get the punishment coming to them under the law and have to do some kind of re-education and community service.

After that...let 'em get on with playing for Derby. They're not in a profession, they're sportsmen and they're an asset on our clubs books.

That said, piss poor behaviour from grown men.

OK all of you in the hang 'em, shoot 'em, flog 'em and sack 'em brigade, hands up all of you who in your early to mid 20's didn't ever do anything stupid or even very stupid, whether you got caught or not.  Nah, not many.

And hands up anyone who is a parent who has said to their child 'Now look dearest XXXXX, see that Mr Bennett/Mr Lawrence (fill in the name of any professional footballer), I want you to be just like them when you grow up.' Nah not many hands up there either.

They'll get the legal and club disciplinary books thrown at them in about four weeks time and rightly so but let's not pretend that either of them are role models to the general population or people unable to make mistakes just because they're quite good at kicking a football around.

1 hour ago, superzak said:

The weather was terrible last night. They may have been following each other home and one of them misjudged a puddle taking the other one out. They may only have had a couple of pints (enough to  put you over the limit) which im sure the majority of us have done. The point being nobody on here knows the facts so we shouldnt be jumping to conclusions.

37 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Does anyone know any facts regards the crash & drink driving? For all we know they could have slightly blown over the drink limit, could be half a pint over the limit. If they are 3 or 4 times then fair enough thats beyond ridiculous but until facts are out there how can people be calling for them to be sacked

As someone has said the weather etc was poor so the crash could be weather related not drink related. Ive seen that a large group of the players were out for a meal so could easily be half a drink over the limit, easy to do at a meal.

Maybe lets just wait for facts before calling for their heads.

If driving conditions were bad surely that is even more of a reason not to drive.

The only fact that matters is that they have both got behind the steering wheel when over the legal drink drive limit.

The other fact of course is that had that lamppost been a person someone would be on a 'death by dangerous driving' charge as opposed to just a drink driving one.

Drink driving is abhorrent and shouldn't be tolerated from anyone, however there is a range IMO between slap on the wrist and sacking. A slap on the wrist is someone who is very much in control of the car, despite being over the limit. Unfortunately, looking at the picture, it looks like the latter. If it proves to be the case, we should look to cut both players - it would just have a HUGE impact on our FFP so the likelihood is that we wouldn't be able to replace them this season, perhaps not even next. 

It leaves us in a rough spot. 

Archived