Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to the thread ,, sorry Regardless of the subject matter  I just find her really irritating , bit like some friends you have that like to wheel their kids out to perform for friends and visitors ,as parents they think they are wonderfully talented but your sitting there thinking let me out ,give me a break from these precocious little shxts but you just smile sweaty ,grin and bear it and gush at what wonderful children they are ,,,

there.   I’ve said it

On 15/11/2019 at 10:55, jono said:

Hi Stiv, yes I know it’s been going on for a bit and there are some lab sized functioning reactors. It’s a tech that fascinates me though, but I wonder how hard we are actually trying. Battery tech has only moved so fast because of smart phones and electronic devices but yey verily that has meant that electric vehicles are now benefiting. 20 years ago could you imagine an electric car with a 300 mile range and 150 MPH performance. There needs to be a trigger to move tech onwards. 

As I understand it we have used uranium simply because of its availability. So that’s where the tech money went. But if we consider uranium based reactors as lead acid batteries maybe thorium reactors could be the Lithium battery equivalent. 

yeah .. I know I am a dreamer ?

There's an argument that thorium reactors lost out to uranium reactors because of synergies with the defence industry in the 1950's.

They are safer, and produce less toxic waste, but the tech and infrastructure is immature and the power output not so dramatic.

Small modular reactors are the way to go...https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/2019/23-07-2019-commitment-to-initial-funding-for-smr-welcomed-by-consortium.aspx..and Derby's finest are leading the way.

I hope Greta buys and eats local produce and not that awful vegan substitute food which is imported on them big environmentally damaging cargo vessels.

When the vegans stop importing tonnes of food then I might start to respect them a little more. At the moment their carbon footprint is just as big as anyone else's. Don't start preaching to me that eating meat is damaging the planet when your quinoa is exported on planes and ships from South America. I've tried to cut red meat out as much as I can, swapping mince for chicken for example. I still love a big steak every now and then though. There's so much hypocrisy from many save the planet type organisations that it's hard for me to support them. Muppets sticking themselves to public transport, in turn encouraging me to use my car. These people filming their spiritual mates protests on their latest smartphones, their year old "crap" phones mostly imported to Africa where sadly, children burn them to extract precious metals to sell for food.

The key for me is buying local if you can, the government encouraging local businesses by making tax cuts, for them to be sustainable. Until we all cut down on buying imported goods, this will only get worse. China and the US are huge polluters and have to change their mindsets on the environment if we're going to immediately see any change too.

34 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I hope Greta buys and eats local produce and not that awful vegan substitute food which is imported on them big environmentally damaging cargo vessels.

When the vegans stop importing tonnes of food then I might start to respect them a little more. At the moment their carbon footprint is just as big as anyone else's. Don't start preaching to me that eating meat is damaging the planet when your quinoa is exported on planes and ships from South America. I've tried to cut red meat out as much as I can, swapping mince for chicken for example. I still love a big steak every now and then though. There's so much hypocrisy from many save the planet type organisations that it's hard for me to support them. Muppets sticking themselves to public transport, in turn encouraging me to use my car. These people filming their spiritual mates protests on their latest smartphones, their year old "crap" phones mostly imported to Africa where sadly, children burn them to extract precious metals to sell for food.

The key for me is buying local if you can, the government encouraging local businesses by making tax cuts, for them to be sustainable. Until we all cut down on buying imported goods, this will only get worse. China and the US are huge polluters and have to change their mindsets on the environment if we're going to immediately see any change too.

Excellent points those.....and it would be hypocritical if Greta and other Extinction Rebellion activists don't do their best to source locally produced foods.  However it's not always easy and as you say more should be done by governments to help local producers. 

It might be all in vain though, whatever good people do to cut carbon emissions it looks like @Norman will try to undo it by importing his steak sandwich from Fiji.

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Until we all cut down on buying imported goods

@maxjamwill be on the potato diet permanently! Joking aside, I’m old enough to remember how totally bland our diet was as kids in the 70s when there was far less imported food (or maybe there was plenty – just my parents couldn’t afford it)

6 hours ago, Norman said:

She's vegan and thinks she's changing the world. That's why I eat twice as much meat as the average person just so I know she isn't changing anything. 

I reckon quite a few people who spend time in prison eat more meat than usual.

Archived