Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

MORE: https://t.co/ykweMevBOK https://t.co/XguSdnyz7v

watch this clip

Wow. What a load of baalocks. 

gretas generation in particular aren’t the first to demand ac in every room. Ac wasn’t invented in the last 16 years. And she certainly wasn’t demanding it when she was 8. 

the Luddite that wrote the last statement is blaming computers in every room, yet computers are coming up with the solutions to solve the issues. Ie maybe he’s not wrong to call al gore out for flying to Brisbane, because he could have teleconferenced it and saved that bit of plane fuel. 

Apple are always proudly showing off how sustainably made their products are, I assume other tech companies do too. 

so to suddenly lay the blame on the kids. It’s your fault we’re all going to hell. Absolute poo. 

and does it matter anyway, who’s fault it is. It’s an issue, and it needs fixing. It’s everyone’s responsibility. Unless you truly believe global warming isn’t happening, in which case, you’re an idiot (not you personally, just the general you). 

even if global warming isn’t happening to the point of a worst case scenario, it is undeniable that rainforests are being torn down, ecosystems are being destroyed, etc etc. Surely no one can claim this is a good thing. 

it’s just stupid rich people sticking their heads in the sand hoping they’ll be rich and dead before it becomes their problem. 

I genuinely worry that if it’s not my kids, then it could be my grandkids or my great grand kids (ie a generation I might even meet and have to look in the eye) that will end up being the caretakers at the end of the world, turning the last lights out, through no fault of their own. 

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

gretas generation in particular aren’t the first to demand ac in every room. Ac wasn’t invented in the last 16 years. And she certainly wasn’t demanding it when she was 8. 

Plus  as if kids "demand" aircon in every classroom. If it's there at all (NB my kids school does not have aircon in classrooms) it was a choice of the school - run by the older generations. Plus by his own logic - did the previous generation not "demand central heating in every room of their house" so as to ensure a more comfortable environment?

The thing is - even if they are wrong, it's what they believe - and it's absolutely amazing to see a new generation of people willing to take direct action and stand up for what they believe in. That in itself gives me hope for the future

14 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair point, but it’s a bit unfair to say ‘buck your ideas up Greta, I’ll only take you seriously when you’ve sorted china out.’ I’m sure it’s on her to do list. 

Although I didn't say 'buck you ideas up Greta', I said I admire what she's trying to do.

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You really think she's picking and choosing who the message is for?

This is the equivalent of 'he started it'.

Its not about who started it nor the fact that we have been through our industrial revolution, its about what's happening now and the simple fact is that the US and EU could move to a 100% clean recyclable economy and the impact would be negligable.  

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Its not about who started it nor the fact that we have been through our industrial revolution, its about what's happening now and the simple fact is that the US and EU could move to a 100% clean recyclable economy and the impact would be negligable.  

Not really true

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Interesting to see the per capita stat on that. 

China are easily top of that list with more than twice as many emissions as the USA, but per capita, they’re not so bad. And India are next to nothing. USA, Canada, Australia and Saudi Arabia are the ones that are really taking the piss per person. 

you can kind of forgive a country for creating a lot of emissions if it’s got a lot of people, and the per capita is at a reasonable level. 

uk come out pretty well on that chart. Maybe my solar panels are making a difference. 

The interesting thing for me has not been the words that Greta has spoken but the reaction against them and the vitriol with which they are spoken. Wow, there are some haters out there.

The problem, of course, is that we all know what is happening - even those that either claim not to or that the effects are not of our doing - but pretty much all of us choose to ignore them and find reasons to carry on as we do. We think we need that new 4K television, that extra winter break in Tenerife, even to drive to our friends for Sunday lunch - preferring to forget for another day the impact of cattle farming so we can have roast beef. 

Sadly, I personally think we're already past the point of no return. I don't say humanity will die out but there is just too much being affected - sea levels, bees, plastics in the foodchain, biodiversity, changing weather patterns, etc. - for us to continue as we do.

So I do switch off the landing light, turn the TV off standby and turn the thermostat down my one degree - not because I think I am saving the planet but because somehow, in some small way, I can help ensure it stays as it does for a second or two longer (but i also fly for work almost every week so I am far from the first to be able to condemn others). After that, I reckon there will be a world that is largely inhospitable to humans with the rich few living out a rather pathetic life in the few remaining corners. It's a grim future to look forward to and sadly I think even my children will get to see the beginning of it.

If you buy something from China, you are responsible for the pollution and waste that results from it.

This idea that we are completely blameless for Chinese pollution as we load up on more plastic tat and pick up the latest iPhone is completely ridiculous.

Consumption of goods is causing the problem, China just happens to make most of it

1 hour ago, Hinzy9 said:

It's sad that the climate change movement has now reverted to getting a child with Asperger's syndrome to peddle their hysteria.

Seems like child abuse to me.

How many of those people calling her out as a child who knows nothing are the same people who said 15 year old Shamima Begum knew exactly what she was doing and should be treated as an adult?

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

MORE: https://t.co/ykweMevBOK https://t.co/XguSdnyz7v

watch this clip

You have to love the irony that even as he lectures the map of Australia behind him glows with night time illumination. TBF - if he had been a little less of nob with his words there is a point in there. We do, including schoolchildren, all have to change the way we live in every way. But the suggestion that we they can't protest until we reached the goal is a bit silly - as is his shock jock style. Twonk!

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You have to love the irony that even as he lectures the map of Australia behind him glows with night time illumination. TBF - if he had been a little less of nob with his words there is a point in there. We do, including schoolchildren, all have to change the way we live in every way. But the suggestion that we they can't protest until we reached the goal is a bit silly - as is his shock jock style. Twonk!

There is often the suggestion from the rich people in power that anyone who protests in anyway must want us to return to living in caves. People concerned with the state of the environment are hypocrites for putting the kettle on or going on holiday.

I’m sure she will be heading to China and India next instead of blaming everyone in the West. Irreversible damage in 11 years and the world will end? Yeah I’ve heard that one before- here’s a prediction from me- nothing will happen then. It’s nice that people care about the planet and there’s certainly damage being done to this world but I dunno about her, there’s something about her that I can’t put my finger on. Maybe I’m being cynical but she seems to be used to push an agenda. She has autism/Aspergers - is 16, and seems to have been exploited to me. Her childhood being ruined because of climate change? Not sure about that one.  Any other situation and people would call that child abuse the way people are exploiting her. Interesting to see her relationship with George Soros , one of whom will get a lot of money out of this, and Luisa  Marie Neubauer- this is certainly something to keep a close eye on ( €$££&££€€$$$)

1 hour ago, Hinzy9 said:

It's sad that the climate change movement has now reverted to getting a child with Asperger's syndrome to peddle their hysteria.

Seems like child abuse to me.

The discussion of climate change seems to bring out the best and worst in everyone, it’s nice seeing people caring about the world but some of the suggestions to save the world are stupid.. Cannibalism in order to save the save the world ? Yeah count me out of that one, Id rather see the world be destroyed than ever resorting to eating a fellow human.

Archived