Marcus Maddison-signed for Hull on loan

rynny

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/09/2019 at 19:46, cannable said:

I read somewhere that, because of Posh’s method of financial stability, their managers are hired with the brief to score lots of goals to rapidly increase their forwards’ value. This can make some of their strikers look better than they really are. Maddison’s stats suggest he’s the beneficiary of this.  

Yep, loads of goals and loads of assists, but for a #10 his general play statistics are rank bad. He averages under 20 passes a game and his passing accuracy is in the fifties. Literally, every time he gets the ball he tries to do something with it. 

So you need a role in the team in which you accept a player is going to give the ball away a gargantuan amount and hope he has the ability to carry his goals and assists into this division. 

Isn't that exactly what we need a player who is unpredictable and will try things. At the moment I'd struggle to see any of our current midfield recording those assist stats even if they lost the ball every other time. Half of them aren't even looking up to make those passes! 

You also make it sound really simple to have a team score loads of goals. Particularly when everyone knows you are going to attack. Even one of our best attacking teams in mclaren round 1 was stumped when teams started parking the bus

5 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Isn't that exactly what we need a player who is unpredictable and will try things. At the moment I'd struggle to see any of our current midfield recording those assist stats even if they lost the ball every other time. Half of them aren't even looking up to make those passes! 

In recent years those kind of players are the ones most slated on these boards - Lawrence, Ince, Russell (when he was here) - You're not allowed to lose the ball remember...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

In recent years those kind of players are the ones most slated on these boards - Lawrence, Ince, Russell (when he was here) - You're not allowed to lose the ball remember...

I personally think only Ince falls into that category properly. 

I get very frustrated watching Lawrence because he ers on the side of caution far too often for what he could do. As a player signed to do the exciting stuff too often he has a full back isolated and passes it or stands there. 

Was a fan of Russell in theory but at that time we had too many players who didn't have the ability but plenty of attitude and energy. I think we've gone a little the other way this time in that alot of the wingers are lazier. During that period we were great on the break (energy and effort to get up) but didn't have enough players with the guile to finf a pass or truly beat players in a 1 on 1 (for the purpose of that it is when the defender is relatively squared up, not beating him by having the advantage of momentum). 

On 07/10/2019 at 15:07, cheron85 said:

And Maddison is giving the ball away significantly more than those three. 

Saw him play yesterday and it was only one game but he was greedy on the ball and quite petulant. Went down more frequently than Chris Martin! Did a lot of moaning at the referee.

Faced with two dominant centre backs who played deep he didn't seem to know what to do to vary his approach,  which was to put in swinging crosses that the defenders gobbled up (good crosses under other circumstances though.) 

Had good ball control and was clearly one of Peterborough's more skilful players but I am not convinced on one very limited viewing that he would have the skills to break down defences that sit deep. Cue more frustration at Pride Park!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Saw him play yesterday and it was only one game but he was greedy on the ball and quite petulant. Went down more frequently than Chris Martin! Did a lot of moaning at the referee.

Faced with two dominant centre backs who played deep he didn't seem to know what to do to vary his approach,  which was to put in swinging crosses that the defenders gobbled up (good crosses under other circumstances though.) 

Had good ball control and was clearly one of Peterborough's more skilful players but I am not convinced on one very limited viewing that he would have the skills to break down defences that sit deep. Cue more frustration at Pride Park!

1D47E3D6-58EC-44A3-935A-C8FC3AD6A4A4.gif

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We're 'mulling' over a move for him in January, according to TeamTalk.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-derisory-middlesbrough-midfielder-bid-laughed-off

2.5 million for the most creative player in league 1 for the past decade, who links up perfectly with marriott, who can play near enough every attacking position?

No brainer for me

7 minutes ago, Squid said:

2.5 million for the most creative player in league 1 for the past decade, who links up perfectly with marriott, who can play near enough every attacking position?

No brainer for me

Thankfully you dont work for our recruitment team.

I'd much rather we get linked to a top Chamionship winger for 10 million, offer a couple of mediocre bids, lose out to Villa and end up signing Bristol Citys 5th choice ex Forest winger...those types of transfer dealings are what get me up off my seat ?

You do wonder what out goes on inside our recruitment teams office ?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thankfully you dont work for our recruitment team.

I'd much rather we get linked to a top Chamionship winger for 10 million, offer a couple of mediocre bids, lose out to Villa and end up signing Bristol Citys 5th choice ex Forest winger...those types of transfer dealings are what get me up off my seat ?

You do wonder what out goes on inside our recruitment teams office ?‍♂️

Ridiculous isn't it..

Honestly think some of us lot should form a recruitment team. We'd all do a far better job!

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Ridiculous isn't it..

Honestly think some of us lot should form a recruitment team. We'd all do a far better job!

So much of scouting is data-driven these days. And there are plenty of armchair analysts out there looking at the data too. You could easily start running the numbers yourself and come up with a very good list.

My prediction; in the next few years a swing back to old-fashioned scouting, because right now everyone is running the same analytics and looking at the same few players.

34 minutes ago, Squid said:

No brainer for me

I think there's a reason why he's available for that price and why nobody has signed him in that time.

19 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think it would take a strong bid to get him in January, he's key to Pboro's promotion bid and they're currently third. I think you pay 40% more in January than you do in the summer, regardless of which league they're in. 

he's got a release clause mate.

Archived