Marcus Maddison-signed for Hull on loan

rynny

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the player, but we might as well wait until the summer to sign him if we are interested.

If we sign Maddison in January, it's another player from the upper reaches of League 1 who still has to prove themselves in the Championship and will probably need time to adjust to the league. Say that he needs 10 games to find his feet, it doesn't leave him with much time to make a telling impact.

This summer transfer window was so poorly handled by us that I hope we are giving ourselves a head start and focusing all of our efforts on next summer's window and business in the January window will be minimal, because we rarely do good business in January.

15 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I like the player, but we might as well wait until the summer to sign him if we are interested.

If we sign Maddison in January, it's another player from the upper reaches of League 1 who still has to prove themselves in the Championship and will probably need time to adjust to the league. Say that he needs 10 games to find his feet, it doesn't leave him with much time to make a telling impact.

This summer transfer window was so poorly handled by us that I hope we are giving ourselves a head start and focusing all of our efforts on next summer's window and business in the January window will be minimal, because we rarely do good business in January.

Also depends where we are in January. If we're well off the pace it may be a good idea to get him in so he can settle without added pressure. If he signed in the summer he would be expected to click almost straight away. Having said this, I haven't got a clue how good he is, just commenting on your post.

On 23/09/2019 at 15:34, Millenniumram said:

About the 1000th time we’ve been linked to him, probably because we have Marriott. Very very much doubt there’s anything in this. 

That said, based on the little I know of him, I’d definitely take him. We’re crying out for a winger with some end product, and he’s fairly consistently shown exactly that, and had a great partnership with Marriott that we could reignite. If he can bring his productivity up to this level it could go some way to fixing our issues out wide and going forward in general.

But like I say, that’s based on his numbers and the odd game I’ve seen. If our recruitment team want him, chances are he’s bank given their record? Can’t say I’d be sure a league one player could be worth the 10m I’ve seen mentioned for him, though I suspect that’s probably made up poo like the rest of the article! Seem to remember a Peterborough fan saying he may have some attitude problems as well?

That’s the big question and you’d hope Cocu would have a good look at him first! Call me old fashioned but I do prefer a manager to watch a player before he signs!

On 24/09/2019 at 17:45, nogbad van 50 said:

That’s the big question and you’d hope Cocu would have a good look at him first! Call me old fashioned but I do prefer a manager to watch a player before he signs!

You could argue that about alot of players... Chrissy Martin when we signed him... Why would a club let him go so cheap... 

On 23/09/2019 at 22:24, G-Ram said:

Peterborough have a habit of picking up good lower league players developing them & moving them on. 

We should be looking at signing some of their recruitment team 

The players they pick up usually need a season playing at league 1 level though, before they start showing ability and form. Playing and competing (we hope) at the upper end of the Championship means we can afford to take less risks with aiming unknowns. I agree we should do it, but I’d be looking at Brentford’s model which has shown to recruit players able to play at this level (and even then has flaws - no playoffs in a few seasons)

I read somewhere that, because of Posh’s method of financial stability, their managers are hired with the brief to score lots of goals to rapidly increase their forwards’ value. This can make some of their strikers look better than they really are. Maddison’s stats suggest he’s the beneficiary of this.  

Yep, loads of goals and loads of assists, but for a #10 his general play statistics are rank bad. He averages under 20 passes a game and his passing accuracy is in the fifties. Literally, every time he gets the ball he tries to do something with it. 

So you need a role in the team in which you accept a player is going to give the ball away a gargantuan amount and hope he has the ability to carry his goals and assists into this division. 

Archived