Rooney or Cocu

Owd miner

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

"Okay - Make sure you pick it up as quick as you can please otherwise we'll have to get someone else" - Precisely what they say to footballers

You seem to be annoyed that the players get paid crazy wages - That's just market forces at work - Just cos they're paid a lot doesn't mean they're any smarter or able to learn any quicker than anyone else - In fact a lot of the time the subtle changes they're asked to make by coaches are lost on them for a while because they don't always understand what's required of them right away - PLUS they have to deal with trying to learn a system of play with 10 other guys

The equivalent in you analogy would be turning up to a building site and the gaffer asking you to do some plastering, but he wants you to use a new technique you've never used before and he also wants you to do it whilst tied with ropes to your wrists to 10 other plasterers all working on the same wall

ive just spat mi fray bentos pie out....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Owd miner said:

you know when you say not playing to their potential mi owd dunt you feel a bit cheated?? these people are on serious life changing wages ... they will earn more in  a year or two than most of us watching will earn in a life time... Dunt that make you  feel a bit sick.... if i rocked up on  building site ta do sum plastering and wa crap and  i said ta gaffer "  dunt worry pal im not up ta mi full potential yet "  .....what do ya reckon he would say?

What @cheron85 said up there. ^^^^

It's the tired old argument that just because they get paid well they must automatically be amazing all the time. The only inexcusable element is if they're not trying, and I don't think that's the case at all. 

Holmes isn't playing to his potential because he's coming back after injury.

Dowell isn't for reasons Cocu needs to suss out because he's surely better than what we've seen.

Clarke isn't because he probably needs a run of games to settle in. As much as he looked nervous on the ball, I really liked what I saw on Friday though when he made his charges forward and Bielik just slotted in (same with Keogh).

Marriott I don't think is playing to his full potential because we're not giving him the necessary service where he can best be used.

Lots of reasons other than money....

Oh, and in answer to you post, it doesn't make me feel sick or cheated re their wages. They've got this far to make it to an elite level that very few players do. Good luck to them I say. 

28 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

ive just spat mi fray bentos pie out....

Ah good! I did you a favour then!

24 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

It's the tired old argument that just because they get paid well they must automatically be amazing all the time. The only inexcusable element is if they're not trying, and I don't think that's the case at all. 

Yeh this is something I don't understand

If I were to ask you to walk a high-wire tightrope with zero training could you do it? Now what if I paid you £200k to do it but you had to do it by tomorrow?

The money means nothing - Competence and time to build that competence is everything

Oh and my dad made that point at the weekend - Said the result was disappointing but you couldn't faulty the effort they put in 

2 hours ago, Squid said:

we are two wingers and an attacking midfielder away from top 6 contenders... It isn't too bad, bring Jarrod Bowen in, we've already got Rooney in, a left winger and we're good to go.

The same Jarrod Bowen who is being touted for a £20m move to the Premier League?

8 hours ago, Owd miner said:

.... if i rocked up on  building site ta do sum plastering and wa crap and  i said ta gaffer "  dunt worry pal im not up ta mi full potential yet "  .....what do ya reckon he would say?

"You may get away with that in the dark, down t'pit, but up here, we have daylight!   ... and I ain't your pal!"

8 hours ago, Squid said:

we are two wingers and an attacking midfielder away from top 6 contenders

If we're there and thereabouts in the top half come January, Rooney might just be the player needed to push us on to the play offs... again. Still early though, anything can happen just need to start showing a decent run of form to settle everyone down.

23 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Problem most whingeing Derby fans have is they all say in the summer they are happy for a season of transition, for a manager to come in, take time to build properly and create a team capable of getting promotion, but when it actually shows signs of happening they jump off a cliff and we end up with threads like this. 

I'm very happy with Cocu, I'm very happy with Rooney. The squad could be better but there are players there who are not yet playing to their potential for a number of reasons. We've shown we can compete with the best teams in the division. It's a slow start, that's all. 

Great post ??

21 hours ago, David said:

I honestly can’t wait for Rooney’s arrival. Counting the days. Astounding deal to get him at the club.

Totally Agree David , he is still a very good player and is a massive signing for us, it is hard to beleive some fans are questioning it .....

16 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

If we're there and thereabouts in the top half come January, Rooney might just be the player needed to push us on to the play offs... again. Still early though, anything can happen just need to start showing a decent run of form to settle everyone down.

unfortunately i feel as if 1 player isnt the answer. yes he's a top player but there is more issues than just not having roooooooooooooooney

This is the problem. Someone on a fourm completely makes something up to spead negatively that potentially then gains momentum until most people are worked up 

Cocu likes to bring through youth (he's doing that) and mixes them with experienced players. Rooney may not be his signing but ask pretty much any manager outside the top 6 prem teams & they'd all take rooney as a player coach. Dont see why he'd be unhappy with a class player like Rooney signing. Only helps him win more games in the long run

On the pitch Rooney is an excellent example to anyone on our squad on how to conduct yourself in terms of effort. He's been world class but you'll stil see him busting a gut to run the length of the pitch to get back and make a tackle. Hopefully that work ethic will rub off on some of those around him. It can only be positive 

4 hours ago, Squid said:

unfortunately i feel as if 1 player isnt the answer. yes he's a top player but there is more issues than just not having roooooooooooooooney

When Rooney arrives in January we'll be into another transfer window. By then Cocu will have learnt a lot about the squad he's inherited and depending on what budget is available to him, will be able to bring in one, maybe two players who fit in with his long term plans.

On 17/09/2019 at 10:14, Owd miner said:

you know when you say not playing to their potential mi owd dunt you feel a bit cheated?? these people are on serious life changing wages ... they will earn more in  a year or two than most of us watching will earn in a life time... Dunt that make you  feel a bit sick.... if i rocked up on  building site ta do sum plastering and wa crap and  i said ta gaffer "  dunt worry pal im not up ta mi full potential yet "  .....what do ya reckon he would say?

Yeah but if you was a plastering contractor who had inherited a gang of first year apprentices & old boys that had been at the company years & got comfortable. Surely your plan would be to bring in some quality experienced guys to show the apprentices properly rather than learn the old boys who have bad habits. Weed out any of the oldboys that wouldn't change & stick with the onces that are willing to change & monitor them closely because its not easy to change a full gang who know how your company works ?‍♂️

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll just put it here (apologies if it's already somewhere else by the way). Holloway is a person who, to put it diplomatically, divides opinion, but, whatever your opinion of him is, I think what he says here is interesting and encouraging.

"He is a joy and I really hope he is given time. Having met the man, I would have died to have played for him. I watched a training session that he took and it was so professional it was unbelievable." 

So, yeah, let's stick with him.

Rooney's signing took 2 days to sort once the rumour came out, so hardly a massive distraction.  Rooney isn't a problem.  Cocu isn't a problem.  The blame for our sluggish start of the season is due to Chelsea being a bunch of fake, tight-arsed, champagne charlies not wanted to sack Sarri, and pay compensation.  Instead they drag their feet over hiring Frank, and Cocu's left with duck all time to access his squad against decent opposition. 

I think, this may be a controversial opinion, but the players are missing Frank.

I know it sounds stupid, but there was such a high morale in the squad when he was here and in comparison to now it is hardly there. 

Frank was a "lad" and got involved in the banter etc in the training ground, and from what I've seen there doesn't seem to be much banter anymore and everything is a lot serious.

I don't think its anything to be alarmed about though, they will get used to it I just think that it'll take time

Archived