Sign in to follow this  
Bob The Badger

Reasons To Be Cheerful - Part Three

2 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

I'm in general agreement, relax give him time to do his job. Beilik looks potentially a really magnificent player, against Cardiff we looked like a decent team in spells.

And here's a tune for anyone still feeling miserable.

Underrated band, National poo Day is a total classic and an a masterclass in brilliant songwriting.

8 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

You didn't have to quote the ENTIRE thing again though! 

I dunno, it was pretty incredible. I'm just surprised that more people didn't quote it twice and maybe a couple of people 3 times.

But I guess that's just a reflection on how far modern Society has slipped since Mary Whitehouse sadly passed away. God bless 'er soul.

To be honest, I am nervous for Cocu.

The fan base is largely impatient. The owner is historically impatient.

If we lose on Saturday, that’s 1 win in 8 league games and no win in 7 league games.

Suddenly the next game - what would normally be a routine home game in September - takes on massive significance because we are at risk of going 5 games without a win at home and that run being extended to 8 games without a win, and potentially ending up in the bottom 3 at close of play.

One would hope that even if we do continue to struggle well into the autumn, cooler heads would prevail and Mel would show that he has changed and become more patient.

What concerns me is that I don’t think Mel’s patience has been genuinely tested in recent years.

Rowett went 8 games without a win and survived, but he was working from a position of strength. We went from a position of overachievement - gunning for automatic promotion in January/February - and our slump took us through to April, at which point the more realistic goal of the play-offs remained viable and within striking distance.

Lampard’s worst run was 4 games without a win (including ugly defeats away at Forest and Villa) but Frank was also in a position of strength - protected by the widely perceived improvement in style of football and of course, memorable performances in the cup competitions. As it happens, we beat Wigan at home to get back on track and set ourselves on a strong run towards Wembley.

A few more unfavourable results for Cocu and what is protecting him? The fans are not particularly enamored with him, the style of football hasn’t excited anyone except Forest fans.

If things don’t pick up, it could be a testing few weeks for Mel.

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

To be honest, I am nervous for Cocu.

This post is how I feel. Personally think we should only entertain the idea of replacing the manager if we're in a relegation battle in January, but have no faith that Mel or the crowd will show that much patience. 

Hopefully Mel sticks with him even if the atmosphere turns sour. 

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The fan base is largely impatient. The owner is historically impatient.

You're right, history would back you up on that.

However, I genuinely think that Mel has matured as an owner over the last couple of years.
I think he probably realises that his knee-jerk approach and coming it as a fan instead of an owner wasn't acquiring the desired results.

As a successful businessman I think he's taken stock and changed accordingly.

The way he dealt with the Leeds issue, Frank's shenanigans, having Boro threaten us and bringing in Coco was not the Mel of 2015.
In 2015 he's have nutted Frank on live TV, gone and peed over the Leeds statue of Billy Bremner, hired a band of South American mercenaries to take out Gibson and rehired McClaren on an 18-year contract...probably.
Now, whether this new cool, calm ,and sophisticated approach will stand firm if Cocu has us in the bottom 3 at Christmas, only time will tell.

Edited by Bob The Badger
Line spacing has gone to shiiiit

Reasons to be cheerful:

We've got a mint owner who will only do whats right for the club

We've got a manager with a long term plan of stability

Cardiff showed promise and we are still learning

We are competing (except forest and brentford) against teams, it may not be pretty but the lads are adapting to Cocu's game plans

We've got quality youth coming through

We will only get better as time goes on

Leeds gives us a chance to fight in a big game and show what we're made of, even if we lose but put up a fight that shows something...

January transfer window will be a breath of fresh air and we will furthermore be able to make signings who are able to play this system

We have a fantastic fanbase (except for the odd few) and we need to stick by Cocu, realise its a marathon not a sprint, would much rather us start off slow and build rather than start off fast and burn out.

Back the boys, the gaffer, the championship hasn't seen what we're capable of yet, and when they do they'll be in for a surprise.

Come on you rams.

@Bob The Badger .. I'll be honest, there's an abrasiveness about some of your posts that at times gets my goat, but your forcing me to change my opinion. Your OP is a gem of balance and thoughtfulness .. spot on. 👍

Leeds away is a nasty one, at a time when I think we are only a game or two from firing on all cylinders; but, like you I think it's going to happen. Lots of things didn't come off for players against Cardiff .. but they were trying in the right way. I walked home after failing to win at home again but unlike the early days of Pearson you could SEE the intent from the players and the plan from the manager.

1 minute ago, jono said:

@Bob The Badger .. I'll be honest, there's an abrasiveness about some of your posts that at times gets my goat, but your forcing me to change my opinion. Your OP is a gem of balance and thoughtfulness .. spot on. 👍

Leeds away is a nasty one, at a time when I think we are only a game or two from firing on all cylinders; but, like you I think it's going to happen. Lots of things didn't come off for players against Cardiff .. but they were trying in the right way. I walked home after failing to win at home again but unlike the early days of Pearson you could SEE the intent from the players and the plan from the manager.

Thanks. I think sometimes people don't realize I'm joking as often as I am as my humour isn't always obvious and I rarely use emojis.

When you don't have intonation and body language to help, it makes understanding what people mean tricky at best. 
Anyway, don't worry, I brought him back and  promise not to get him again.

He was a crap lay anyway. 

photo-1524024973431-2ad916746881.jpeg