A52 Slip Road

LE_Ram

Quick one - moved to Leicester recently and haven't been in Derby since the last home game. Does anyone know if the slip road from the A52 westbound (towards Derby) onto the Wyvern Way roundabout is open yet? Google says it is but I've had experience before with roads Google says is open being shut.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LE_Ram said:

Quick one - moved to Leicester recently and haven't been in Derby since the last home game. Does anyone know if the slip road from the A52 westbound (towards Derby) onto the Wyvern Way roundabout is open yet? Google says it is but I've had experience before with roads Google says is open being shut.

The current bill for roadworks is in the region of 45 million and so far all they have done is erected signs at all entries to the Brian Clough Way.

dmeu_rms503_4_std.lang.all.gif

Seriously though yeah it is re-open. They must be so pleased with themselves.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

image.png.6b5f84fd47d4321cce363f1d67ca494d.png

This is what its like now mate.

Drove on it the other night.  Once both lanes are open, it might actually be of benefit...

Looking at the above, you can no longer turn right and go towards town when you pull out the Wyvern??  So you have to go up to the roundabout and come back on yourself??

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Drove on it the other night.  Once both lanes are open, it might actually be of benefit...

Looking at the above, you can no longer turn right and go towards town when you pull out the Wyvern??  So you have to go up to the roundabout and come back on yourself??

There has been a load of works on Wyvern way as well related to the new industrial estate. Basically imagine the old road, but a lot wider now and with a temporary concrete barrier separating both sides of the road. If you haven't been to the area for a while the roundabout on the Stanier Way side has been changed as well, so just be aware as you approach it.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The current bill for roadworks is in the region of 45 million and so far all they have done is erected signs at all entries to the Brian Clough Way.

Seriously though yeah it is re-open. They must be so pleased with themselves.

In all seriousness what have they actually done other than replace a roundabout with the same roundabout and replaced the slip road with almost the same slip road but slightly wider? Just another year or so and they will have finished that pedestrian bridge as well.

26 minutes ago, GenBr said:

There has been a load of works on Wyvern way as well related to the new industrial estate. Basically imagine the old road, but a lot wider now and with a temporary concrete barrier separating both sides of the road. If you haven't been to the area for a while the roundabout on the Stanier Way side has been changed as well, so just be aware as you approach it.

In all seriousness what have they actually done other than replace a roundabout with the same roundabout and replaced the slip road with almost the same slip road but slightly wider? Just another year or so and they will have finished that pedestrian bridge as well.

Isn't it supposed to be 3 lanes now, and also the slip roads a better run in? They were tight before causing congestion.

I haven't seen the new slip road so not sure.

The thing is the work was supposed to be finished years ago now, so no way was the original plan to close a slip road for over a year.

Also the price to go from something like 15 million to 45 million. Something isn't right there.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Isn't it supposed to be 3 lanes now, and also the slip roads a better run in? They were tight before causing congestion.

I haven't seen the new slip road so not sure.

The thing is the work was supposed to be finished years ago now, so no way was the original plan to close a slip road for over a year.

Also the price to go from something like 15 million to 45 million. Something isn't right there.

The A52 is 3 lanes on both sides near the Wyvern now, but the roundabout is almost the same and whilst the slip road is two lanes now it doesn't seem a great deal straighter to me. It seems to me that the roundabout is being prepared for traffic lights to go with the ones they are putting on Wyvern Way. Not sure if it will help to reduce congestion much, but at least it has its own lane to queue in on the A52 now.

The original plan was to build a road bridge over to the Pride Park bridge, but that very quickly got downgraded to roundabout and traffic lights.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

The A52 is 3 lanes on both sides near the Wyvern now, but the roundabout is almost the same and whilst the slip road is two lanes now it doesn't seem a great deal straighter to me. It seems to me that the roundabout is being prepared for traffic lights to go with the ones they are putting on Wyvern Way. Not sure if it will help to reduce congestion much, but at least it has its own lane to queue in on the A52 now.

The original plan was to build a road bridge over to the Pride Park bridge, but that very quickly got downgraded to roundabout and traffic lights.

In Derby we seem to have a habit of roadworks that have no benefit. Look at how long little eaton and markeaton had roadworks (once again delayed because of reasons).  No benefit whatsoever and now they are doing the fly overs.

Now they will be good but why didn't they just go for that anyway.

Then go to Coxbench and the most pointless set of traffic lights. Not exactly a busy spot yet 4 way lights. The number of times you sit there on red and don't see a single car. Probably someone in charge who just happened to get held up once there because of reasons and in a fit of anger decided we needed lights.

On 13/09/2019 at 18:11, Paul71 said:

In Derby we seem to have a habit of roadworks that have no benefit. Look at how long little eaton and markeaton had roadworks (once again delayed because of reasons).  No benefit whatsoever and now they are doing the fly overs.

Now they will be good but why didn't they just go for that anyway.

Then go to Coxbench and the most pointless set of traffic lights. Not exactly a busy spot yet 4 way lights. The number of times you sit there on red and don't see a single car. Probably someone in charge who just happened to get held up once there because of reasons and in a fit of anger decided we needed lights.

My FIL always said that markeaton should have had a flyover from the start

Coxbench;  trying to pull out from the old level crossing and turning right was one of the most risky manoeuvres going in my opinion.  the cars coming round the corner from little Eaton were crazy.  I was quite pleased to see that last time I was over  

22 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Coxbench;  trying to pull out from the old level crossing and turning right was one of the most risky manoeuvres going in my opinion.  the cars coming round the corner from little Eaton were crazy.  I was quite pleased to see that last time I was over  

Markeaton was always planned to have a flyover - it was canned after objections from the people that lived in the nearby houses (the ones that will now be demolished to make way for the underpass....)

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Even if thats the case does it need the lights to be 4 way?

On 17/09/2019 at 15:51, Gaspode said:

Markeaton was always planned to have a flyover - it was canned after objections from the people that lived in the nearby houses (the ones that will now be demolished to make way for the underpass....)

Actually the Markeston flyover was cancelled because it was too close to the Royal School for the Deaf. Not all the students there are completely deaf, but the increase in traffic noise would have too great and would seriously hinder communicating with the partially deaf. That is why they are putting an under-pass in.

The original plan was for the A38 to go straight into the city centre (provision was made for an underpass at the junction with the ring road, going on to join the as then unbuilt inner ring road), but the projected route would have meant knocking down a number of listed buildings.

Then the scheme was cancelled due to budget cuts after the 1980’s recession.

Sp it’s only taken about 40 years to get the go ahead, even though it still hasn’t gone ahead yet!

I also thought one of the original plans for Kingsway to Little Eaton was to take the road behind Mackworth Church and the Park to join the A38 closer to the Kilburn juntion.

Also if you look at the Kingsway island it is already elevated and the A38 was supposed to go underneath it. But I believe money scuppered that plan

Archived