Middlesbrough to sue the EFL over Derby's Stadium Purchase

Bubbles

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t expect anyone to twist the statement, but I underestimated Leeds fans. “The only reason for the statement is... they’re pooping it” and it’s not just the one loon saying it.

Edit: one poster even suggested we only made the statement to create a siege mentality in readiness for our cup final tomorrow ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

I think gibson saw loser did his best to get us into trouble for sodd all maybe now our lads can play our football.

Much as I’d love to believe our disjointed performances have been down to concerns over potential financial irregularities, I am persuaded by a body of evidence that it’s actually been down to us being, well, a bit poo.....?

That statement doesn't really say a great deal. It says we have confirmation in writing from the EFL that we met regulations at the time, but I wouldn't say that's the same thing as saying nothing will come from the EFL investigation. The way its written to me sounds unnecessarily defensive and feels oddly worded.

Personally I don't think anything will come of the investigation, but I think a few of you are reading a bit too much into a statement made by us and not the EFL - especially since the EFL has a history of balls up and making things up as they go along. If the EFL release a similar statement on conclusion of the investigation that will be the time to rub it in Steve Gibsons face - not now.

I think Derby are just laying it out in black and white.

The EFL didn't have a problem at the time, have already cleared the sale as legit, and it would be legally impossible surely to reverse a decision taken some time ago.

Case closed from our perspective.

23 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t see a need to make any statement by DCFC 

That was my first thought, if I'm honest.  It's not really our place to be making statements about matters between two other bodies.

If it affects us, we can make a club statement when the EFL make known their findings and/or take action (Which DCFC now seem to be implying cannot happen).

If the EFL effectively "clear us", then again, no statement should be forthcoming from DCFC, as the matter is between Gibson/MFC and The EFL.

For now, our stance should have remained "No comment"!

29 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t see a need to make any statement by DCFC 

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

That was my first thought, if I'm honest.  It's not really our place to be making statements about matters between two other bodies.

If it affects us, we can make a club statement when the EFL make known their findings and/or take action (Which DCFC now seem to be implying cannot happen).

If the EFL effectively "clear us", then again, no statement should be forthcoming from DCFC, as the matter is between Gibson/MFC and The EFL.

For now, our stance should have remained "No comment"!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

11 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Actually, after I posted, I realised I should have added... "Still, shouldn't be any harm done, now they have made a statement".

Certainly not damning them, merely questioning why they'd bother in the first place.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Actually, after I posted, I realised I should have added... "Still, shouldn't be any harm done, now they have made a statement".

Certainly not damning them, merely questioning why they'd bother in the first place.

Wasn't having a dig, just saying that some will be glad that they have finally made a statement on the matter, and others will think that they shouldn't say anything. Personally I don't think that the statement really says anything. The League cleared the sale earlier, so can't really go back on that decision.

15 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is a coded message to the EFL.

The message is 'don't try to retrospectively impose punishment on us to appease Boro. Otherwise you will find us potentially suing you too.' 

Maybe @therealhantsram has hit the nail on the head?

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Wasn't having a dig, just saying that some will be glad that they have finally made a statement on the matter, and others will think that they shouldn't say anything. Personally I don't think that the statement really says anything. The League cleared the sale earlier, so can't really go back on that decision.

Maybe @therealhantsram has hit the nail on the head?

Yes, it's a good theory (from @therealhantsram), and one I hadn't considered.  I like it, though!  

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The EFL didn't have a problem at the time, have already cleared the sale as legit, and it would be legally impossible surely to reverse a decision taken some time ago.

I guess the only way that the EFL could say that we broke the rules was that they were deliberately misled which must be ridiculous if certified by a chartered accountant. 

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I Would think if that the EFL do anything remotely stupid as to reverse a previously cleared decision our Mel is waiting to play the CAS card.

He may have already mentioned it casually to the league board whilst sipping the Bucks Fizz and troughing the Canapes prior to the last league meting.

Archived