Ex-Liverpool owner in bid to buy Derby County

admira

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@LeedsCityRam .. I applaud your optimism and certainly our wage bill became seriously overblown for a variety of reasons but for a Championship club with ambition to progress to the prem, I suspect breaking even is the best anyone could hope for. 

I reckon that owning a championship club is either a a wealthy persons hobby or a massive gamble. Raising outside funds against a clubs own viability / assets - as in leveraging - strikes me as far from easy. 

I have a personal pet hate of Parachute payments - it skews so much. Narrows chances from other non relegated clubs. At the same time challengers for promotion are almost enticed to take huge risks. I’d much rather see the parachute money divided between the relegated clubs, the failed play off finalist, and perhaps the remaining 3 of the top 6 finishers in any case. There isn’t an even staircase to climb at the moment

2 hours ago, jono said:

@LeedsCityRam .. I applaud your optimism and certainly our wage bill became seriously overblown for a variety of reasons but for a Championship club with ambition to progress to the prem, I suspect breaking even is the best anyone could hope for. 

I reckon that owning a championship club is either a a wealthy persons hobby or a massive gamble. Raising outside funds against a clubs own viability / assets - as in leveraging - strikes me as far from easy. 

I have a personal pet hate of Parachute payments - it skews so much. Narrows chances from other non relegated clubs. At the same time challengers for promotion are almost enticed to take huge risks. I’d much rather see the parachute money divided between the relegated clubs, the failed play off finalist, and perhaps the remaining 3 of the top 6 finishers in any case. There isn’t an even staircase to climb at the moment

Personally think they should just add the parachute payments to the pot that goes to every EFL team as solidarity payments from the Prem. Don't see why they need parachute payments - if they are afraid of being lumbered with big wage players after relegation then they need to put clauses in their contracts that reduce their wages in the event of relegation.

2 hours ago, jono said:

Unless you have a few breakthrough players all at once, similar to Norwich last season, you're just going to keep losing your best players ala Brentford. Villa, despite their riches, would've been troubled if we beat them at Wembley. Grealish would've gone, they had four or five loan players who were huge last season - Abraham, Mings, El Ghazi, Tuanzebe and Hause. It would've been a difficult job, more so than what we faced IMO. 

We decided to back what many would class as 'known' talents, which obviously means higher wages and IMO a known ceiling. It's such a lazy approach to scouting that has really irritated me. You absolutely can build a team good enough for promotion and break even, however the parachute payments mean that if you fall short then it's not only Premier League clubs who can take your best players anymore. The fact is that there are players currently in L1 and L2 who will go on and play at a good level in the Premier League in the future, perhaps even for England. We just need to find them. 

Sheffield United are such an anomaly that I couldn't even begin to pull apart their strategy. They managed to find players who were rejects by clubs at this level, took them due to their character, add in Wilder who I honestly think is one of the best managers in the world and found a way to win. Leeds something similar to Bielsa but with more money. 

On 13/09/2019 at 12:23, jono said:

Could probably do away with parachute payments if players wages were sensibly capped. Then the relegated clubs wouldn't be so vulnerable to loss of PL income. From a purist perspective, Football has been damaged since the emergence of Premier League, and too much SKY tv influence. Just my opinion though....

Archived