Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jonesy90

A media storm is brewing

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

What brand of tea and what type of biscuit? 

This topic will live or die on the facts. 

To be honest I'm embarrassed I didn't include that to start with

PG Tips and a bourbon biscuit - Not my choice of tea or biscuit but it's what they had at work

Fortunately they don't keep any of it in the fridge...

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

Derby haven't been scared to sail close to the media storm under Mel Morris' guidance, the last 2 years in fact, the club has shown professionalism and dignity dealing with Frank Lampard, Gary Rowett, Spygate, two play-off defeats and a story regarding the former CEO.

Since Mel took ownership of DCFC, followers have been totally entertained if not always by the football, but other goings on:

The comings and goings of Mac, Clement, Pearson, Rowett, Lampard, Cocu and all their backroom staff. All the allegations / counter allegations surrounding Sam Rush. The crazy big money signings / sales of our top talent. Mel's disagreements with EFL.  Just Eat tasteless (😀) sponsorship. Spygate. 32 Red's Wayne Rooney.  There are probably a few more....

So the chairman has attracted a fair bit of media coverage and topical discussion, which presents us with lot's to debate on this great forum 👍

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hacking off Sky was / is more likely to incur media puff through our very own DCFC TV and any such stuff during games (PA too loud when Sky on etc) IMHO.  Otherwise the ground sale stuff is no more than tomorrow's (small) fish wrappings thanks to the ducking and diving of Messrs Johnson, Mogg, Cummings and their spiffing wheezes - with Epstein's alleged mates as front page reserves.

Share this post


Link to post

Right few points here:

For one, much of this media coverage hasn’t been something we’ve brought upon ourselves. The whole Lampard leaving saga was mainly the creation of Chelsea ducking about, there’s not much we can do about that. Neither was there much we could do about leeds sending a spy down our training ground, that was their call to breach etiquette even if not rules. So I’d hardly call us “addicted to media coverage”. We didn’t ask for any of this poo, even the media surrounding the Rooney and stadium deals which we did somewhat bring on ourselves- they weren’t done with the sole intention of filing up the media. About the only thing that really was intended in that way was the arguement about TV rights, but you can see why Mel would want that to be pushed out there a bit- it’s probably the only way the EFL might sit up and listen.

Secondly, as far as I can see it, we haven’t broken any rules. So who gives a duck what the media thinks?! Sure they’re not going to stop talking about these stories as they make good headlines, but does it really matter? Only thing that would actually matter is an EFL punishment, so unless that happens we’ve nothing to worry about from these stories. Let the media think what they want to think because they’re not the ones judging us who actually can do anything! If all this is just negative press and nothing substantial I’m terms of rule breakings then it really shouldn’t pose a problem. We can’t use it to excuse our poor start to the season, that’s on the players and managers alone. This background stuff has nothing to do with them, so they should just be able to leave it to the board to deal with and get on with their jobs, ignoring what the media are saying. It’s only if we’re actually punished that it begins affecting the manager/ players. Unless that happens, then it should just be business as usual on the pitch, and this off the pitch stuff really shouldn’t be relevant at that level. We really shouldn’t have anything to worry about from this media storm at the minute.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Right few points here:

For one, much of this media coverage hasn’t been something we’ve brought upon ourselves. The whole Lampard leaving saga was mainly the creation of Chelsea ducking about, there’s not much we can do about that. Neither was there much we could do about leeds sending a spy down our training ground, that was their call to breach etiquette even if not rules. So I’d hardly call us “addicted to media coverage”. We didn’t ask for any of this poo, even the media surrounding the Rooney and stadium deals which we did somewhat bring on ourselves- they weren’t done with the sole intention of filing up the media. About the only thing that really was intended in that way was the arguement about TV rights, but you can see why Mel would want that to be pushed out there a bit- it’s probably the only way the EFL might sit up and listen.

Secondly, as far as I can see it, we haven’t broken any rules. So who gives a duck what the media thinks?! Sure they’re not going to stop talking about these stories as they make good headlines, but does it really matter? Only thing that would actually matter is an EFL punishment, so unless that happens we’ve nothing to worry about from these stories. Let the media think what they want to think because they’re not the ones judging us who actually can do anything! If all this is just negative press and nothing substantial I’m terms of rule breakings then it really shouldn’t pose a problem. We can’t use it to excuse our poor start to the season, that’s on the players and managers alone. This background stuff has nothing to do with them, so they should just be able to leave it to the board to deal with and get on with their jobs, ignoring what the media are saying. It’s only if we’re actually punished that it begins affecting the manager/ players. Unless that happens, then it should just be business as usual on the pitch, and this off the pitch stuff really shouldn’t be relevant at that level. We really shouldn’t have anything to worry about from this media storm at the minute.

Posted 6 hours ago!!!!  Did you stay up to watch Parliament get prorogued?

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

Derby haven't been scared to sail close to the media storm under Mel Morris' guidance, the last 2 years in fact, the club has shown professionalism and dignity dealing with Frank Lampard, Gary Rowett, Spygate, two play-off defeats and a story regarding the former CEO.

My fear is that Derby's addiction for coverage will soon come back to bite them. Confrontations with the EFL over media payments, FFP, inquiry into selling Pride Park Stadium, 'unique' shirt sponsorship deal, Wayne Rooney... push Derby further towards an open door of doom. A door which leads to a fine, negative publicity and a disillusionment among fans.

All this, undermining and overshadowing the main part of the club which is the football - a club that have appointed a quiet, thoughtful, long-term appointment and coach in Phillip Cocu. Someone who coaches, who's approach needs time, and someone who prefers the light shone elsewhere.

I'm sure the intentions of the Exec team are well versed and commercially savvy, but coaxing media relations, whether self inflicted or not, will be of detriment and act as a juxtaposition to this footballing project under Cocu. Time to step out of the limelight, just for a short while?

 

Which paper do you work for ?

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, cheron85 said:

To be honest I'm embarrassed I didn't include that to start with

PG Tips and a bourbon biscuit - Not my choice of tea or biscuit but it's what they had at work

Fortunately they don't keep any of it in the fridge...

Cheron you need to get to the shops pronto or this thing could escalate. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think this is more me having a breakdown than a computer but I’ll take the excuse 😂

If you need turning off and then turning on again I recommend re-watching the playoff final second leg against Leeds

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If you need turning off and then turning on again I recommend re-watching the playoff final second leg against Leeds

There’s turning me back on again and then there’s turning me on more than ever before... that Marriott goal does the latter😂

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Juxtaposition - the fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect.

ie, beauty and ugliness, dark and light, calm and chaos. 

I love google me. 👍

 

 

'You cant believe everything you read on the internet' . Issac Newton.

 

This applies to the OP too 👍

Edited by nfb

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.