Max Hunt - Joined Carlisle

Ghost of Clough

21 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

That's come out of nowhere, seems odd to sell our most promising centre half from the academy but I presume they had their reasons. I suppose Mel's comments about the academy not really producing CB's makes a little more sense with this context but still surprising

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

Didn’t expect that, for as well as our academy is doing it doesn’t seem there’s many CBs coming through, I thought he had the most promise 

Joe Bateman is the player seen as the top prospect among our youth CBs, I believe.

Followed by Ethan Wassall, who I think gets a little overlooked (by myself too, sometimes) due to being the managers son. He is a mainstay in the team on performance, rather than nepotism. 

Max Hunt started really well and caught some eyes but I don't think he was particularly highly regarded of late. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Joe Bateman is the player seen as the top prospect among our youth CBs, I believe.

Followed by Ethan Wassall, who I think gets a little overlooked (by myself too, sometimes) due to being the managers son. He is a mainstay in the team on performance, rather than nepotism. 

Max Hunt started really well and caught some eyes but I don't think he was particularly highly regarded of late. 

Has Bateman been primarily playing as a centre half as of late? Didn't look out of place v Scunthorpe as a fullback so interesting to hear his strongest position is at CB. Admittedly haven't followed the academy as closely recently as i'd have liked to

I thought Hunt would have been the next to make the step up and seemed like the sort of player Cocu wants his defenders to be.

Decent defender who coud play the short and long game. Is this what Mel meant about shuffling things about to get players in?

Looking at many of the comments in this thread it just goes to show that most of us (me included) no nothing about developing young players and who’s got the potential & who hasn’t ? .... unless we all do and those at DCFC don’t!!!!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Given that Mel Morris said only recently that centre backs develop later, is it a little early to be giving up on a twenty year old? 

I'm not convinced selling them to someone who, I assume, wants to play them is giving up on them.

If we were releasing them I'd agree but surely starting for carlisle is more attractive to him than playing for years in a youth setup in which he might be aware there are others ahead of him? 

10 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Tbf, when was the last time we let go of an academy player and they stepped back up to this level or above? 

He might but the record would suggest it’s unlikely.

Offrande Zanzala will get to this level, imo; but to your point I certainly agree that at this time none have appeared to be bad decisions. 

Besides, it's all a tad moot. Even if they went away and became superstars doesn't mean they'd have become superstars if we kept them.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hopefully we got a few pounds to contribute to month end salary costs. If they don’t get paid in January it will be some other Hunt’s fault.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Always thought he looked like 'the tall kid' picked to play at the back and then everyone else starting growing up. Think Carlisle is his level, will be happy to be proven wrong.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Nah right player, wrong game. Must have been one of the pre-season friendlies then but he definitely played RB, and looked okay. Never seen him at centre half though hence my curiosity 

He played in the preseason game at pride park.

Very odd.

just the sort of non-league prospect we should be buying and developing.
He seemed to have all the right physical attributes. 
i was disappointed that he looked a bit naff in some of the early clips i saw but @Curtains told me I was wrong on that.

It didn’t really matter as it was early days. 
however after elsnik I’m starting to regard loans away as a sign the player is probably on his way out. 
In my view we could have done more with elsnik, Thomas, and maybe walker and guy.

it will be interesting to see what happens with Mitchell-Lawson.

this seems a strange move because wassall and Bateman don’t look particularly special and at least hunt looked like he had potential. furthermore the u18s don’t look too good at the back either. 

disappointing. 

Archived