Players on Twitter

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont really think they should have Twitter especially if they are going to engage the trolls as Bennett and Lawrence have done of late. Cant be particularly good for their mental health. They are free to do what they want but if i was the management team i wouldnt be happy with them using stuff like twitter.

Tbh I think the players Twitter are theirs and theirs alone, should be down to them what they put on there and nothing to do with the club, so no problem with them being withdrawn from the app. Would suspect the lack of posts from players is down to the horrendous run of form were in- only sing when you’re winning and all that. Players are very similar on social media, come out and give it the biggun when things go well, then hide when they don’t. Not that I blame them, I’d do exactly the same in their situation, but it would be great imo if someone had the balls to come out and admit things haven’t been good enough. Might get the fans backing and help reduce the venomous abuse a bit if they did. Appreciate it wouldn’t be easy though.

FWIW I don’t think it’s worth them looking at, because of the idiots on there who criticise for criticisms sake. I mean certain players efforts have been frankly pathetic recently so some abuse is somewhat expected, but the trolls on twitter take it too far, especiallly tagging players. Can’t exactly help players confidence, so I’d be happy if they’re not checking it and instead devoting their time learning the basics of football.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Tbh I think the players Twitter are theirs and theirs alone, should be down to them what they put on there and nothing to do with the club, so no problem with them being withdrawn from the app. Would suspect the lack of posts from players is down to the horrendous run of form were in- only sing when you’re winning and all that. Players are very similar on social media, come out and give it the biggun when things go well, then hide when they don’t. Not that I blame them, I’d do exactly the same in their situation, but it would be great imo if someone had the balls to come out and admit things haven’t been good enough. Might get the fans backing and help reduce the venomous abuse a bit if they did. Appreciate it wouldn’t be easy though.

FWIW I don’t think it’s worth them looking at, because of the idiots on there who criticise for criticisms sake. I mean certain players efforts have been frankly pathetic recently so some abuse is somewhat expected, but the trolls on twitter take it too far, especiallly tagging players. Can’t exactly help players confidence, so I’d be happy if they’re not checking it and instead devoting their time learning the basics of football.

Millenniumram, this is one of the most arrogant statements I have read on here. 

That last paragraph is unbelievable. Have you ever considered your own posts in the same light? Or do you think it's alright to say things like that on here because it's not Twitter and you are effectively slagging off the players behind their backs? You are guilty of everything that you accuse others of, in my opinion.

We link to the players Twitter through the DCFC app but that’s gone in the last few days.

Getting to games is very hit and miss and we all like that connectivity for a lot of reasons.

Some of the abuse I see is completely out of order and I would understand the players coming off as their choice.

We need to find a way of keeping connected with the normal(not sure who they are) fans.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Millenniumram, this is one of the most arrogant statements I have read on here. 

That last paragraph is unbelievable. Have you ever considered your own posts in the same light? Or do you think it's alright to say things like that on here because it's not Twitter and you are effectively slagging off the players behind their backs? You are guilty of everything that you accuse others of, in my opinion.

I think on here it’s entirely different to tagging players on twitter, which is a point that’s been made on here by others numerous times. If you tag someone on twitter, they have no choice but to see it (I guess they could not click on it, but let’s be honest, most would want to see what’s been said). That’s the internet equivalent of going straight up to someone’s face and calling them poo. Comments on here are never intended to be read by the players, you can call it “slagging them off behind their back”, I just call it using the forum for what it’s meant for- giving out an opinion. And my opinion is certain players this season have not been good enough, with a couple not even trying hard enough.

But I wouldn’t ever go up to a player and say that to them, not because I’m scared, but because it wouldn’t help matters. I’ve long suffered from mental health problems, and I know as much as anyone that when something’s not going right, the last thing you want is someone shouting down your ear hole what you already know. Wouldn’t ever be wanting to put a player in that situation. And, beyond that, telling someone their poo is hardly likely to make them play better, they’ll naturally start panicking and probably play worse. Which is exactly what happens when fans shout at players like Malone In games, and exactly why if I have a comment on a players performance, I wait until the match is over and put it on here and instead choose to try and support the lads through a game. 

So no, I think there’s an absolutely massive difference between me coming on here and voicing criticisms that are my opinion of a game, and the idiots on twitter who tag players in abusive messages that have no real context other than to call a player “useless” or a “fraud” to their face. These are people who think they’re the big man in doing that, and probably do it for no other reason than they think they’re impressing their mates. 

Put it this way, if I’m struggling at my job and my boss and coworkers have a meeting in the background about me saying what Id be struggling with and what I need to improve on quickly or action will be taken, which I’m never meant to hear about but perhaps overhear- then I’m gonna be a little upset of course, but I’ll understand the reasons and look to improve. On the other hand, if one of my coworkers comes up to me and calls me a “ducking fraud” in the corridor, then I’m going to take serious issue.

Archived